Hidan no Aria is licensed in English

General discussion related to Hidan no Aria

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Re: Hidan no Aria is licensed in English

Postby krytyk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:32 pm

Kemm wrote:And, technically speaking, the future of the series seems bleak even for english releases. They "published" volume 1 in mid-august of last year and now, half a year later, not only they haven't published the second one, they haven't even started to sell the print edition of the first.


DMG doesn't sell print editions. It's called DIGITAL MANGA for a reason.
- JAP to ENG translator for AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon"; ELYSION virtual region; Omae wo Onii-chan ni Shite Yarouka!?; Only Sense Online -
- Retired Manga Redrawer/Typesetter. @Manga-Heaven; @Kono-Basho; @wangan-scans; &anonymous releases.
User avatar
krytyk
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:51 am
Location: Poland

Re: Hidan no Aria is licensed in English

Postby Kemm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:11 pm

krytyk wrote:DMG doesn't sell print editions. It's called DIGITAL MANGA for a reason.


I only mentioned "print edition" because at their own site they've put at the page in question "Print edition: not available yet". And that still leaves my point of no new publishings in 6 months while they have back up to catch and when it's published in Japan at 3-4 months spans.
Kemm
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:20 am

Re: Hidan no Aria is licensed in English

Postby denormative » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Kemm wrote:
krytyk wrote:DMG doesn't sell print editions. It's called DIGITAL MANGA for a reason.


I only mentioned "print edition" because at their own site they've put at the page in question "Print edition: not available yet". And that still leaves my point of no new publishings in 6 months while they have back up to catch and when it's published in Japan at 3-4 months spans.

I'm actually surprised they don't do a print-on-demand thing for people who absolutely must have a paper copy. Wouldn't be cheap, but I guess their licensing would probably specify if they can produce a print copy or not.
User avatar
denormative
Fish Miner
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:56 am

Re: Hidan no Aria is licensed in English

Postby krytyk » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:29 am

denormative wrote:I'm actually surprised they don't do a print-on-demand thing for people who absolutely must have a paper copy. Wouldn't be cheap, but I guess their licensing would probably specify if they can produce a print copy or not.


There's much more to do when it comes to publishing physical copies, different license type, distributors, printing, partners... etcetc. It's not that simple, let's say, web-license is a lower-risk investment as compared to publishing physical copies which you need to actually risk, if you print too much - you're gonna lose, if you don't print enough, you're gonna lose... additional costs... also I believe their current license probably doesn't ALLOW THEM, to sell physical copies. Just like crunchyroll has license for posting manga on the web, and different publisher releases physical copies for the same manga in US. Of course if the demand is big enough they might extend their license to physical copies, but those money-grubbers will probably base it on the amount of copies bought online.
- JAP to ENG translator for AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon"; ELYSION virtual region; Omae wo Onii-chan ni Shite Yarouka!?; Only Sense Online -
- Retired Manga Redrawer/Typesetter. @Manga-Heaven; @Kono-Basho; @wangan-scans; &anonymous releases.
User avatar
krytyk
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:51 am
Location: Poland

Re: Hidan no Aria is licensed in English

Postby denormative » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:47 am

krytyk wrote:There's much more to do when it comes to publishing physical copies, different license type, distributors, printing, partners... etcetc. It's not that simple, let's say, web-license is a lower-risk investment as compared to publishing physical copies which you need to actually risk, if you print too much - you're gonna lose, if you don't print enough, you're gonna lose... additional costs... also I believe their current license probably doesn't ALLOW THEM, to sell physical copies. Just like crunchyroll has license for posting manga on the web, and different publisher releases physical copies for the same manga in US. Of course if the demand is big enough they might extend their license to physical copies, but those money-grubbers will probably base it on the amount of copies bought online.

That's why I mentioned print-on-demand; there's no storage, minimum print run, etc. requirements. You toss essentially a PDF at the POD printer and then when an order comes in on your website for a copy, toss it across to the POD's site with a delivery address and forget about it, they handle the rest. It's more expensive, but it's great for low print runs of things because you're not eating the cost of returns, shipping, warehousing, etc, etc, etc.

The only question is whether they have a licence or not that handles print.
User avatar
denormative
Fish Miner
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:56 am

Re: Hidan no Aria is licensed in English

Postby Kemm » Wed May 07, 2014 11:41 am

Looking at Baka-Tsuki's termination policies, if the publisher's still don't do anything about the second volume by late august-september, this project will resume? LAst time I checked, I wasn't even able to find the first volume at their site (IDK if I simply got lost).
Kemm
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:20 am

Re: Hidan no Aria is licensed in English

Postby Cthaeh » Wed May 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Kemm wrote:Looking at Baka-Tsuki's termination policies, if the publisher's still don't do anything about the second volume by late august-september, this project will resume? LAst time I checked, I wasn't even able to find the first volume at their site (IDK if I simply got lost).

The official policy is one year of inactivity, meaning no publications or announcements. It'd be up the admins to decide, but I'd include the fact they've since added volume 2 to their upcoming releases, even if it doesn't have a date yet, as an announcement. So I would say one year from that, which is probably a few additional months.

There is a direct link to volume 1 in the first post of this thread.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:54 pm

Re: Hidan no Aria is licensed in English

Postby Kemm » Fri May 16, 2014 3:44 am

They've just announced vol.2 to be released on the 22nd this month.
https://www.emanga.com/detail?itemid=1531
Let's hope they pick up a faster pace from now on.
Kemm
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:20 am

Previous

Return to Hidan no Aria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest