DMG license

General discussion related to Hidan no Aria

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Excalibuurr
Astral Realm

DMG license

Post by Excalibuurr »

So is there a reason why we can't continue the translation? Couldn't we just start on volume 11, bring back 4-10 and just get rid of the first 3 novels?

I wouldn't think that they licensed the full series, since its still ongoing on all, and didn't the same thing happened to SnS?

Mod note: Title changed because it was misleading by implying speculation is fact.
Last edited by Cthaeh on Wed May 06, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title change
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: DMG states they have only licensed 3 HnA Light Novels

Post by denormative »

Excalibuurr wrote:So is there a reason why we can't continue the translation? Couldn't we just start on volume 11, bring back 4-10 and just get rid of the first 3 novels?

I wouldn't think that they licensed the full series, since its still ongoing on all, and didn't the same thing happened to SnS?
This was pointed out back at the original purge, yet it was still not allowed.

Do you have a URL or other reference to their licensing? I couldn't find anything by heresay back when it was originally announced.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
MineRiko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Hidan no Aria

Post by MineRiko »

http://www.digitalmangaguild.com/upcoming_title.php

DMG licenses one by one. I don't want to revive this topic anymore, but personally, killing all the previously translated volumes and starting with volume 11 wouldn't be too bad.
Wiki Account: Nii-sama
Kanamechan Translations, Chinjufu Scanlations, Chinjufu Channel
yoyoyo5678
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by yoyoyo5678 »

denormative wrote:
Excalibuurr wrote:So is there a reason why we can't continue the translation? Couldn't we just start on volume 11, bring back 4-10 and just get rid of the first 3 novels?

This was pointed out back at the original purge, yet it was still not allowed.

Do you have a URL or other reference to their licensing? I couldn't find anything by heresay back when it was originally announced.
MineRiko wrote:http://www.digitalmangaguild.com/upcoming_title.php

DMG licenses one by one. I don't want to revive this topic anymore, but personally, killing all the previously translated volumes and starting with volume 11 wouldn't be too bad.

I agree, it will be waste to abandon this series, since only first 3 volumes were licensed, so there is no reason not translating V11.

In the worst case if needed , we can upload an older versions of our translation from old PDF.
Link to my user on B-T
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

yoyoyo5678 wrote:I agree, it will be waste to abandon this series, since only first 3 volumes were licensed, so there is no reason not translating V11.

In the worst case if needed , we can upload an older versions of our translation from old PDF.
I've got the raw wikimedia files that I used to make my PDFs, in any event the wiki has a 'Trash' that it can be recovered from.

As far as I understand it the rules changed when SAO/Accel World was announced to be licensed. April is when v1 of SAO is apparently going to be released so I'm pretty much ignoring this until we find out how it's going to work with SAO going forward, so the same rules can be retrofitted to the older projects that have been forcibly abandoned under the way it used to work.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
Kemm
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kemm »

Well, if it's true that DMG won't go past that, I think that this would fall into the same category as Kino's Journey, Shakugan no Shana or Slayers: licensed volumes as just summaries or simply ommited, then following volumes open to translation.

Looking at the new policies, I think that a partial license like this should fall under point number 6 (taking volumes from 4 onwards as a sequel). But the thing is, is this true? After checking DMG's license list, only novels 1 & 2 (and mangas 1 to 3) appear. Does that mean that it's a volume by volume license? Or that they only mark as "upcoming titles" those that are just months away from release (or already released) while the rest could be licensed already, but not marked?

Someone ought to ask them.

And in case it is a volume by volume license, does that means that the wiki could hold translations for unlicensed volumes? I case "yes", I suppose it would be better to start with vol. 11 (it will take, at the current pace, at least six years for it to get licensed and almost seven for it to be released) and move from there onwards. In case "no", we'll just wait for them to be licensed and translated (or for the project to get dropped as per point 7 of the policies).
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

The new policy ensures that all volumes are gone by the release of the first volume
Kemm
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kemm »

I know that. I thought that what we were discussing here was if volumes 4+ could be counted as a sequel (like in Index case) or the fact that there were no plans to publish them accounted to include them in the same exception as Kino and Shana. And we also would have to take into account that looking at other titles licensed by DMG, the scanlators that worked on the series mentioned that, while they were contacted by them, no Cease and Desist was sent and I think that I remember that they even endorsed scanlations of yet to publish chapters/volumes (only asking for a mention of the license and a referral for published volumes, I think I recall). That explains why, of the three manga series I follow that were licensed by them, the only one that stopped releasing it aduced to "lack of time and will", while the other two keep with them (even when at least one of them has a no-release policy on licensed titles).
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

Sequels or Spin-Offs would have their own volume numbering.
This policy would give publishers the chance. And, making exceptions is a no-go, regardless of DMG's reputation and etc.
Considering that they are releasing v2 this month, they are still active with this series.

Regarding endorsements, this is something the admins will discuss should the time come.
Kemm
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kemm »

So it's either change of numbering, 1 year of hiatus or a specific cease of publishing announcement. Ok. That was what was being asked, I suppose. Thanks for the clarification.
Dalam
Favourite Light Novel: CSR

Post by Dalam »

Honestly, with their pace, and that fact that you can barely even get some of their products....I don't see why it cant be resumed. =/
DMG is crap when it comes to novel releases, but they can easily stay on top when it comes to other things.
Find me on Hongfire if you want to chat more about stuff here. =V
Kemm
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kemm »

Just to add something new to this, while they do keep releasing things (at a snail pace and with no new announcements besides a certain Kickstarter), despite looking for new recruits they do not answer new applications nor mails sent to them (and the forum that's their main tool for working has been down for a long time).
Rage_Ender
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Mondaiji; Campione; Mushoku Tensei; Black Bullet

Post by Rage_Ender »

Any progress with this?
dun dun dun..>!!!!!!<
Kemm
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kemm »

Ever since May 20th-22nd 2014 when they released the second volume, nothing. Either it didn't sell well, their tranlator stood them up, they gave up or they have an evil plot to release them once a year so that we won't know how the story continues and B-T doesn't pick it up. The 4th is unlikely, I hope. If the next volume isn't published by the end of May, B-T's guidelines say that it can be picked up back, or so I heard.
Rage_Ender
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Mondaiji; Campione; Mushoku Tensei; Black Bullet

Post by Rage_Ender »

Let's wait and see.
dun dun dun..>!!!!!!<

Return to “Hidan no Aria”