Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - The Anime

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - The Anime

Post by nr42 »

You just have to keep inflation in mind. It's not that hard to calculate.
slavsya
Reader
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by slavsya »

Done watching it, S2 maybe in 2-3 yrs since its LN.
AsterL
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by AsterL »

If I can be frank, in terms of plot development and characterization this anime was a mess. The art was fine, the animation was good, the soundtracks were great. But. That. Is. Not. A. Story.

You take a Gary Stu with his sister Mary Sue, insert it, offer a logical explanation for his OPness so late that someone like me is struggling to watch (must watch all episodes - that is my Way of Otaku).

On a scale of 1 - 10 (the anime storywise is a 3) how good are the LNs for Mahouka considering an averagely good anime/manga/LN to land on a 7?
Look at the sunset glow
Now wait for tomorrow
From the arms of sacrifice
Do we snatch freedom.
Sutatekken
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sutatekken »

is is possible to pick up the novel where the anime left off or should I start with vol 1 of the novel?
maqhusson
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Post by maqhusson »

It is possible, but I would VERY HIGHLY recommend that you read the novels over, as the anime wasn't a good representation at all in my opinion. You'd be losing a lot by starting off where the anime left off. Also, the series has been licensed, so...
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
Sutatekken
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sutatekken »

maqhusson wrote:It is possible, but I would VERY HIGHLY recommend that you read the novels over, as the anime wasn't a good representation at all in my opinion. You'd be losing a lot by starting off where the anime left off. Also, the series has been licensed, so...
NP I have the Novels up to 16 where the Mahouka wiki group picked up translating and hosting it, and I actually got a reply there as well saying that i should start over because the anime cut out a lot of Character development and world building namely in the physics of how the magic works and I hear Tatsuya in the anime is day and night different with the Novel in a Nutshell the anime Tatsuya is being a Gary Stu and and the Novel him being an Anti-Hero. is that sound about right?
maqhusson
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Post by maqhusson »

No, actullay, Tatsuya is pretty badass in the novels too, but his character and the other characters are more fleshed out. However, they do cut a lot of detail about his abilities, and as you mentioned, the world itself was something that is hard to explain on in an anime setting, and I really enjoyed that part personally. The problem is that they crammed too much into one season, so the pacing is off and everything is very disappointing considering what it could have been. That's generally the case with most adaptations, but this one was quite bad in my opinion.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”