Mahouka: TLC Thread

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Rava
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: TLC Thread

Post by Rava »

It looks like someone's playing with the Cocytus description.

Is it Mental Interference Magic or is it that "Spirit" Intereference magic that was edited in?
thelazyguy
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelazyguy »

I would say it should be "Mental" Interference Magic.

And dang, looks like my Chinese is bad. =[
EnigmaticAxiom
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

Mental or Spirit, I think the kanji have similar meanings, so I guess technically both are usable, but Mental Interference is probably more accurate. Then again, it could be Spirit Interference when it comes to Cocytus, who knows.

Also, I changed the quote for the password. It's Ecclesiastes 1:2, not Genesis 3:19 :o
anonon
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by anonon »

Rava wrote:Anyway, on page 219 for Volume 8, Chapter 12, does it actually say, BC, CBRN, or something totally different? I've half a mind to revert any acronym change I see in the translation text since I'm assuming they're in English letters and not something Dreyakis is abbreviating.
You mean Volumn 7, Chapter 12?

BC is there in the Japanese raw. I don't know where you see CBRN.

Is it natural to see BC in English text (military related)? If it is natural, then leave it as it is. However, if even the military in English-speaking countries refers to it as Bio-Chemical, then I think it is fair to expand them out.
thelazyguy
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelazyguy »

Well, Chinese source was 精神. Dictionary definition of 精神 can indeed be both mental and spiritual, but in context (and in general), mental is more fitting.

“对他们来说从三年前开始就一直是在战争中吧”
"I do believe they've always been at war with us since 3 years ago."
"In their eyes, the war starting three years ago never abated."
I dunno... how to put across the fact that only they perceived the war as having continued from three years ago until now? Why is language so hard?

“……给我记住,这屈辱一定要加倍返还”
"......Remember, we will avenge this humiliation in spades."
"......Take note, we must return this humiliation in spades."
Right? I have no confidence...

把卷土重来当作既定事实,急于发誓报复的士官不只一两人。
More than one or two officer presents had already taken a fresh assault for granted and vowed vengeance.
It was already a given that they would rally and return, the officers who itched for vengeance numbered more than a couple.
Ugh... I don't know how you do it. I would translate it like this, but there is still some nuances that are missing...

如果不是巨济岛担当了防波堤的角色,对马和北部九州沿岸也不免受到海啸的危害吧。
If not for Geojedo serving as a levee, even Tsushima Base and Kyushu would have suffered the wrath of the tsunami.
If not for Geojedo serving the role of a breakwater, even Tsushima Base and Kyushu would have suffered the wrath of the tsunami.
anonon
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by anonon »

thelazyguy wrote: “对他们来说从三年前开始就一直是在战争中吧”
I dunno... how to put across the fact that only they perceived the war as having continued from three years ago until now? Why is language so hard?
Jap raw: 「彼らは三年前からずっと戦争中のつもりなのだろうな」
Your version in italics seems to have the same meaning.
“……给我记住,这屈辱一定要加倍返还”
Jap raw: 「...覚えておれよ。この屈辱は倍にして返してやる」
My translation for this: "... Just you wait. We will avenge this humiliation (many times over?)"
Literal translation is "... Remember this. ...", but I think "... Just you wait. ..." is quite fitting here.
More than one or two officer presents had already taken a fresh assault for granted and vowed vengeance.
It was already a given that they would rally and return, the officers who itched for vengeance numbered more than a couple.
Ugh... I don't know how you do it. I would translate it like this, but there is still some nuances that are missing...
Jap raw: 帰還を既定の事実とし、報復を誓う気の早い士官も一人や二人ではなかった。
I think there is no translation mistakes, though I agree that some nuances are lost.
If not for Geojedo serving as a levee, even Tsushima Base and Kyushu would have suffered the wrath of the tsunami.
If not for Geojedo serving the role of a breakwater, even Tsushima Base and Kyushu would have suffered the wrath of the tsunami.
Not sure, but this part 对马和北部九州沿岸 doesn't seem to be fully translated - should be "Tsushima and Northern Kyuushuu Coastline". (The Japanese raw is almost the same, but it uses や as the connector, so it could be understood that the 2 places above are just 2 examples of several other places that are unaffected by the tsunami).
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

anonon wrote:
Rava wrote:Anyway, on page 219 for Volume 8, Chapter 12, does it actually say, BC, CBRN, or something totally different? I've half a mind to revert any acronym change I see in the translation text since I'm assuming they're in English letters and not something Dreyakis is abbreviating.
You mean Volumn 7, Chapter 12?

BC is there in the Japanese raw. I don't know where you see CBRN.

Is it natural to see BC in English text (military related)? If it is natural, then leave it as it is. However, if even the military in English-speaking countries refers to it as Bio-Chemical, then I think it is fair to expand them out.
The post was in limbo for a while, so I wasn't able to edit it at the time. Someone already reverted the CBRN back to BC.

I'd never heard of either sets of initials being used, so if it's commonly used, it would only be in the military (which I'm not).
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Hiyono »

anonon wrote:
“……给我记住,这屈辱一定要加倍返还”
Jap raw: 「...覚えておれよ。この屈辱は倍にして返してやる」
My translation for this: "... Just you wait. We will avenge this humiliation (many times over?)"
Literal translation is "... Remember this. ...", but I think "... Just you wait. ..." is quite fitting here.
For me, this reads more like, "Never forget. We shall return this humiliation several times over." (Like you've said though, "remember" is the verb here, but I flipped it because it makes more sense that way in English.)
anonon wrote:
Jap raw: 帰還を既定の事実とし、報復を誓う気の早い士官も一人や二人ではなかった。
I think there is no translation mistakes, though I agree that some nuances are lost.
I agree as well. The translation is pretty much spot on, although perhaps some of the descriptive ability is lost. I'd probably translate it like this: "Having taken a return for granted, the officers who'd sworn vengeance in haste numbered not a few."
anonon wrote:
Not sure, but this part 对马和北部九州沿岸 doesn't seem to be fully translated - should be "Tsushima and Northern Kyuushuu Coastline". (The Japanese raw is almost the same, but it uses や as the connector, so it could be understood that the 2 places above are just 2 examples of several other places that are unaffected by the tsunami).
This is correct. The Chinese also includes the fact that it's the northern (部) coastline (沿岸).
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
thelazyguy
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelazyguy »

Mmmm...
Am I just misunderstanding several nuances?
Attribution/emphasis.

Like for the:
The first translation seems to have the tone of talking to someone who is ignorant.
My less than good translation I seem to have given the tone of someone explaining something to a newcomer.
I dunno... I have the feeling that he's saying that it's an "unrequited" war of 3 years. Am I just reading too much into it? Or projecting?

For the humiliation portion, I got the sense that the tone is that of a superior speaking to a subordinate. Hence, "take note." But I don't know what the original Japanese text is saying. I should learn Japanese...
As for why I thought it should be return, "return in spades" is usually how "in spades" is used, no?

The one or two officers one, yeah... I read it as something like "The officers who saw a return as something no longer in question as well as vowed for vengeance without thinking, numbered more than a couple."
But making that flow well... ugh.

So have you guys caught on that I'm trying to improve my Chinese using this yet? XD
Hiyono
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Hiyono »

thelazyguy wrote:Like for the:
The first translation seems to have the tone of talking to someone who is ignorant.
My less than good translation I seem to have given the tone of someone explaining something to a newcomer.
I dunno... I have the feeling that he's saying that it's an "unrequited" war of 3 years. Am I just reading too much into it? Or projecting?
It's not necessarily that it's "unrequited". "对他们来说" simply means "from their point of view".
This was a response to the lieutenant who had questioned whether or not the other side was truly willing to "go to war", to which the reply was that from the point of view of the Chinese military, the war started three years prior had never ceased. The connotation of "talking to someone who is ignorant" is correct in that it's a sarcastic reply to someone who asked what was essentially a stupid question.
thelazyguy wrote:For the humiliation portion, I got the sense that the tone is that of a superior speaking to a subordinate. Hence, "take note." But I don't know what the original Japanese text is saying. I should learn Japanese...
As for why I thought it should be return, "return in spades" is usually how "in spades" is used, no?
Regardless of whether or not you use the "in spades" phrasing, "返还" means to return or repay. There are many variations on how this could be phrased. I wouldn't worry about it.
thelazyguy wrote:The one or two officers one, yeah... I read it as something like "The officers who saw a return as something no longer in question as well as vowed for vengeance without thinking, numbered more than a couple."
But making that flow well... ugh.
This is going to be ugly, but let me try my best to break it down. The following is literal, so, not the way I'd phrase it:
"Hastily (急于) swearing (发誓) vengeance (报复) officers (的士官) which numbered not just one or two (不只一两人) took a comeback (把卷土重来) as (当作) an established (既定) fact (事实)."

Also, you might want to put these kinds of questions in the Lingua Franca Lexicon forum instead next time. Try and reserve this topic for actual TLC questions for the series.
"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible and wrong." H.L. Mencken (1971)
thelazyguy
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelazyguy »

Ah, so this is just for translation errors and not for discussion of nuances?

And yeah, I understand the literal meanings, I just couldn't figure out how to word it well while keeping the nuances.
Tonda
Astral Realm

Post by Tonda »

Halloween doesn't it Commence 31 octobre & Finit 1er novembre.
Or it write :
October 30th, 2095 AD.

Today was Halloween,

It's a probleme. Or in this story the calendar changed.
Tonda [fr]
Crushow
Astral Realm

Post by Crushow »

Not sure if this is a mistake, but there is a part in Volume 8 Chapter 8 where Miyuki thinks about the abilities of Tatsuya:
As long as I can remember, as well as from what I’ve been told, aside from the non-systematic anti-magic ‘Gram Dispersion’, I have never seen him use any high level magic.
Could it be that in reality Gram Demolition is meant, since Gram Dispersion is thought to be impossible in combat and i dont think that Miyuki knew at that point about Tatsuyas special eyes?
Found that part strange, but was just a thought.
thelazyguy
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelazyguy »

According to the Chinese text and translation guidelines, Gram Dispersion is correct.
Angelos
Astral Realm

Post by Angelos »

I noticed that in Volume 8 (maybe the same applies somewhere else as well, but I just missed it back then) when mentioning the location of the vacation home in Okinawa it is mentioned with several names (at least that is what I think, I do not have the raws to check it myself).
In Chapter 2 it is mentioned as Onna Serika Vacation home,
in Chapter 4 as Okinawa- Vacation House and
in Chapters 6,8 and 9 as Okinawa・Villa.
If all of them refer to the same location can you select a single way to refer to it to prevent any confusion?

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”