Mahouka: TLC Thread

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Rava
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: TLC Thread

Post by Rava »

Hiyono wrote:I really like the idea that Juumonji is already the acting head, since the line itself is quite confusing, and that would be a nice twist. One thing that confuses matters, though, is that Sanada uses two different terms to refer to Katsuto. In the first line, he simply uses 当主, but when he next invites Katsuto to head inside with him, he instead uses 次期当主 (下任当主 in Chinese), which refers to the heir or successor instead.
He only needs to use it once, though. Doesn't matter what he says after that.
The_Great_Galendo
Astral Realm

Post by The_Great_Galendo »

Rava wrote:
Hiyono wrote:I really like the idea that Juumonji is already the acting head, since the line itself is quite confusing, and that would be a nice twist. One thing that confuses matters, though, is that Sanada uses two different terms to refer to Katsuto. In the first line, he simply uses 当主, but when he next invites Katsuto to head inside with him, he instead uses 次期当主 (下任当主 in Chinese), which refers to the heir or successor instead.
He only needs to use it once, though. Doesn't matter what he says after that.
These are both good points. On the one hand, if Sanada is speaking accurately both times, the only way Katsuto could be both 当主 and 次期当主 is if he were the acting head but not the actual one. This could be the case if, e.g., the official head were disabled, which the Juumonji might well want to keep secret. The Ten Clans don't seem big on publicizing weakness.

On the other hand, there's still the possibility that Sanada, having made his point the first time, is reverting back to Katsuto's public persona for the second address. So Katsuto might be the actual head after all. But this seems less likely to me than the previous.

I still think the translation should be changed, both for accuracy and to make the scene more logical. Maybe "current head" is best, since a) it's the most literal translation, and b) if Sanada uses "heir" immediately afterward, it leaves open the possibility that the "current head" part is temporary. Your thoughts?
soranokira
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by soranokira »

well, just to bring up something else I spotted, why is the latest arc (v9's arc/chapter) titled "Volume 9 - A Strange Visitor (I)" when the jap "来訪者編<上>" only states it as "Visitor"? (I'm not getting where the strange came from.)

Also, how about applying a standardization of 'Chapter' to the title of every volume? As of now, the Nine Schools Competition arc volumes do not contain 'Chapter', while the others do (also 'Chapter' itself is present in the original jap for every single volume). This applies to v9 as well, which can possibly be named 'Visitor Chapter (I)'. Opinions?
joecam02140
Astral Realm

Post by joecam02140 »

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei:Volume 4 Chapter 11 has a mistranslation in the first page. The original Japanese says (Vol. 4, p. 335):
新人戦優勝のパーティーは 総合優勝のパーティーまでお預けとなった.

The translator put that as follows:
"The celebrations for both the Newcomers Division and overall victories happened at the same time."

まで implies until something else happens. お預け(おあずけ) means to postpone. It really should read:

"The Newcomers (or better yet Freshman) Division party was postponed until the Overall victory party could be celebrated." There is a lot not said in the Japanese but implied. Basically until they could cinch the overall victory they were not going to celebrate. However, at the time this sentence is written no parties have happened.
savagecube
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

thanks

Post by savagecube »

thanks
Last edited by savagecube on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
savagecube
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

thanks

Post by savagecube »

thanks
Last edited by savagecube on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
abbad0n
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by abbad0n »

Is there editing going on in the earlier books? Just found this:
Volume 2 Chapter 10 wrote:"Is that so. If it's Erika, then there should be problems."
Wasn't it previously "there should be no problems." before the edit? Otherwise it doesn't make sense.
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

abbad0n wrote:Is there editing going on in the earlier books? Just found this:
Volume 2 Chapter 10 wrote:"Is that so. If it's Erika, then there should be problems."
Wasn't it previously "there should be no problems." before the edit? Otherwise it doesn't make sense.
That was in the original posted text as far as I can tell from looking at the version history. Added in the correction now. You may have mentally filled in "no" the first time -- which can happen a lot while reading and is what makes editing hard.
abbad0n
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by abbad0n »

Thanks Rava. Guess there was editing, only it was mental stream editing on my part. :)
soranokira
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by soranokira »

soranokira wrote:well, just to bring up something else I spotted, why is the latest arc (v9's arc/chapter) titled "Volume 9 - A Strange Visitor (I)" when the jap "来訪者編<上>" only states it as "Visitor"? (I'm not getting where the strange came from.)

Also, how about applying a standardization of 'Chapter' to the title of every volume? As of now, the Nine Schools Competition arc volumes do not contain 'Chapter', while the others do (also 'Chapter' itself is present in the original jap for every single volume). This applies to v9 as well, which can possibly be named 'Visitor Chapter (I)'. Opinions?
no one responded to my post so I just took to changing it myself. Edit it back if there are violent objections to this change:
Nine Schools Competition (I) --> Nine Schools Competition Chapter (I)
(same for (II))
A Strange Visitor (I) --> Visitor Chapter (I)
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

soranokira wrote:
soranokira wrote:well, just to bring up something else I spotted, why is the latest arc (v9's arc/chapter) titled "Volume 9 - A Strange Visitor (I)" when the jap "来訪者編<上>" only states it as "Visitor"? (I'm not getting where the strange came from.)

no one responded to my post so I just took to changing it myself. Edit it back if there are violent objections to this change:
Nine Schools Competition (I) --> Nine Schools Competition Chapter (I)
(same for (II))
A Strange Visitor (I) --> Visitor Chapter (I)
Totally understandable. It's scary just how much "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" applies here.
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

Doing some late night cleanup.

Volume 1, Chapter 4, Page 211:
"Generally speaking, targets, strength, and ending requirements are set as variables to be executed by the Magic Calculation Area; all other essentials would be incorporated into the Activation Sequence. However, it was not rare to see strength as the Activation Sequence quantity to reduce hydrochloric acid execution to increase Invocation Speed." (Need a TLC on this bolded part)

Volume 1, Chapter 4, Page 212:
Regarding all references to "Speed" on this page, is it actually 加速 or is it 振動? Wondering because I thought Miyuki's specialty -- as emphasized later on in the series -- is Vibration magics, not Speed magics. The page also talks about how it's rare for Speed magic to directed for individual use, yet later on it gives a common example of using the "Increased Speed" process to move a single egg. If it could do that, it could be part of any sequence involving a single object, which contradicts that claim about it being rarely directed for individual use.

Volume 1, Chapter 4, Page 218:
"Onii-sama is being pulled between two beautiful senpai’s on either side." (There's a TLC request regarding an idiom on this line.)
thornyrose785
Astral Realm

Post by thornyrose785 »

For the most part what keeps bothering me as a grammar mistake is it repeatedly says "couldn't care less" which would mean they could care. The correct way to say it is "could care less". I don't know exactly where the mistakes are but it is done multiple times, sorry that this is just me rambling on about it.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

"Couldn't care less" implies that someone cares so little that it can't be reduced any further, i.e. they don't care.

"Could care less," on the other hand, is a rather meaningless statement, for it implies that someone cares at a certain level which is high enough that it could be reduced (which would be any finite value).

Historically, "couldn't care less" is the dominant form although the illogical "could care less" has been gaining ground due to misuse.
NanoDesu
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by NanoDesu »

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”