Mahouka - Steeplechase Arc : Volume 13

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

screaminpka
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Steeplechase Arc : Volume 13

Post by screaminpka »

The_Great_Galendo wrote:
I don't remember if it said which event Masaki was in, but Kichijouji participated in Row and Gunner, not Monolith Code.

But yeah, the lack of descriptions for any of the competitions was rather disappointing.
Oh yeah I forgot that Kichijouji participated in Row and Gunner this time around, also with the new NSC rules dangg. Yeah I would appreciate it more if Tsutomu-san narrated a little on that Monolith Code bit. Also I'm really curious what Masaki were up to during the competition, other than SCCC.
danv
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by danv »

I thought Tatsuya's long range applied to any of his magical abilities and not just his BS magician abilities. Isn't the range of a magician's abilities related to perceived distance and Tatsuya can perceive through the Eidos some pretty long ranges without being hindered and can attack from further away using 3rd eye(though I suspect that 3rd eye is a specialized cad that only fires decomposition magic sequences. But I imagine that he could change that in 20 minutes like he does with his regular cads).

So why couldn't he use far strike from further away( isn't that the spell?)
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

I believe there is a range for gram demolition, since he's literally firing bullets of psions, and the principle applies to the special magic he uses with the parasites. Only he also has to concentrate the (whatever it is he attacks them with) in his hand. So the range would be even shorter
ergoGnomik
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ergoGnomik »

danv wrote:Steeplechase arc felt a little lazy to me.
Spoiler! :
Miyuki yells at Tatsuya for what appears to be no reason. When he originally plans to take care of the parasite powered robots and convinces him to wait until shit hits the fan because that is easier. She doesn't convince him to leave it alone entirely, just to leave it alone for a few days... So for all her threatening to take away some of his powers, she is still ok with him doing it later on. Just not at night when she can get in bed with him. That was some

Then on the day of the Steeplechase, Tatsuya decides to take on the parabots up close for who knows what reason when he is the ultimate long range sniper magician. That made no sense considering a year previously he took out other enemies from outside their range. Why does he need to get close to enemies that can attack faster than him at close range when he has a robot minion that can locate them from a distance... guess its cause sniping makes for a boring fight scene.
I don't know if it was lazy or not, but compared to the previous arcs it sure was rushed. It felt like the author started to get tired of it and finished it as fast as it could be done.
danv
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by danv »

ergoGnomik wrote: I don't know if it was lazy or not, but compared to the previous arcs it sure was rushed. It felt like the author started to get tired of it and finished it as fast as it could be done.
Rushed is probably a better way to put it.
Spoiler! :
Even if you disregard the fact that the NSC is barely given any attention, it felt like the main plot was barely given any attention. Normally Tatsuya takes care of threats as they come at him. In the first NSC, he took out the mafia guys because they directly targeted his sister. In the Yokohama disturbance, he reacts to intrigue that targets him and his school and later under orders.

In this arc, he seems to be looking for a from the start for some unknown reason. The arc doesn't have any of the usual early confrontations that normally motivate him to swoop in and solve the problem.

As the story unfolds, he seems to have less and less reason to act. Data keeps piling up that the dolls won't be able to attack regular civilians and will auto hibernate if they try and in fact Tatsuya is probably the single student they could attack since he is technically a soldier... so why is he intervening? His sister handled the original parasites just fine in combat as well.

That as well as my original confusion as to why his sister thought it would be easier for him to solve the problem on the day of the steeplechase than in the evening when he doesn't have a 15 minute time limit on finishing them all off? Miyuki's thought process makes zero sense.
M- "Why are you going out of your way to do this? You should only care about protecting me."
T- " That makes sense, I will only care about protecting you and thus not do anything about this now but then still protect everyone a few days from now when I am more rushed..."

And I'm like... "Wat?"
Sashiko
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

Rushed is probably a better way to put it.
Spoiler! :
Even if you disregard the fact that the NSC is barely given any attention, it felt like the main plot was barely given any attention. Normally Tatsuya takes care of threats as they come at him. In the first NSC, he took out the mafia guys because they directly targeted his sister. In the Yokohama disturbance, he reacts to intrigue that targets him and his school and later under orders.

In this arc, he seems to be looking for a from the start for some unknown reason. The arc doesn't have any of the usual early confrontations that normally motivate him to swoop in and solve the problem.

As the story unfolds, he seems to have less and less reason to act. Data keeps piling up that the dolls won't be able to attack regular civilians and will auto hibernate if they try and in fact Tatsuya is probably the single student they could attack since he is technically a soldier... so why is he intervening? His sister handled the original parasites just fine in combat as well.

That as well as my original confusion as to why his sister thought it would be easier for him to solve the problem on the day of the steeplechase than in the evening when he doesn't have a 15 minute time limit on finishing them all off? Miyuki's thought process makes zero sense.
M- "Why are you going out of your way to do this? You should only care about protecting me."
T- " That makes sense, I will only care about protecting you and thus not do anything about this now but then still protect everyone a few days from now when I am more rushed..."

And I'm like... "Wat?"
Actually:
Spoiler! :
The whole point of Miyuki telling Tatsuya that he should only protect her was to stop him wearing himself to the bone trying to figure out how to destroy the parasites.

Then Fujisaki and the Major rope him to going after the parasites for their own purposes.

Yakumo then reveals that he knows there is a failsafe and didn't tell Tatsuya but points out that there is reason to believe that the device might not work while Tatsuya eavesdrops.
Is the sequence of events a little clearer, now?

Sashiko

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”