Mahouka - Steeplechase Arc : Volume 13

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

joay_b
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Steeplechase Arc : Volume 13

Post by joay_b »

Question:

I've noticed that Zhou deliberately said these in his native Chinese: "疾, [哮天犬]!". The furigana says "チイ、[シャオビエンチエン]!" but I have no idea what dialect was used here. What to do about this? Translate it in-place into English, or leave a translation note at the end what dialect was used and what it stands for?
まず隗より始めよ。
mechbear
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by mechbear »

joay_b wrote:Question:

I've noticed that Zhou deliberately said these in his native Chinese: "疾, [哮天犬]!". The furigana says "チイ、[シャオビエンチエン]!" but I have no idea what dialect was used here. What to do about this? Translate it in-place into English, or leave a translation note at the end what dialect was used and what it stands for?
It's pure mandarin.

To put it into context with the setting, i would put it as " Execute, [Heavenly Hound]", with a TN on 哮天犬 and how it only refer to the unique heaven dog in journey to the west, since there is
Spoiler! :
a conversation later between Tatsuya and co. on how they shouldn't blindly believe the spell true nature just base on the name, and that i believe this spell probably will appear again in the future with Zhou.
Mithradates
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mithradates »

I am confused as to why there re 12 boys and girls for the main division and 9 boys and girls for the newcomers division in this novel. From my count, excluding Steeplechase cross-country, there are 4 events for both boys and girls in both divisions. Thus there should be singles and pairs or 3 events (9 boys and girls needed) and then the gender specific events which allow 3 boys and girls each. Thus the 12 boys and girls. What is different with the newcomers division that they only bring 9 boys and girls?
Minru
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Minru »

The main division are only allowed to choose steeplechase as their second event but the first years cannot participate in steeplechase. I'm guessing that some of them are allowed to do a second event like the year before. If that is the case then they do not need as many warm bodies as the main division.
Shuiko
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka and High School DxD

Post by Shuiko »

Yea one more chapter for vol 13! Ty for Chapter 8 JJ!
TheLaG
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TheLaG »

Dreyakis already started to translate chapter, at least I see that he marked chapter as 20% translated 8) So lets wait a little bit :)
tatsuyama
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tatsuyama »

I apologise if I am breaking any rules but what is the story on volume 14 so far?
Sashiko
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

I apologise if I am breaking any rules but what is the story on volume 14 so far?
I will soon finish chapter 5 and then work on the chapter 4 fight scene. If I can do it satisfactorily, I'll register for chapter 4. After that, at least a month will have passed and someone else might have registered for another chapter and I'll see where I want to go from there. Since I don't intend to post chapter 5 until all the other chapters are finished or volume 15 comes out and the chapters in volume 14 are not short, there may be a long wait before any of Volume 14 gets posted.

Sashiko
ParkX
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ParkX »

How long will it take to do an ePUB version of volume 13 when the volume is finished :?:
shido
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

ParkX wrote:How long will it take to do an ePUB version of volume 13 when the volume is finished :?:
When I did epubs for Log Horizon and Index it only took me less than a day. For others I'm not sure, and for the ePub Generator I think I seen it come several days later(Log Horizon). That's based on those two series only.
crisisavatar
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

Love how people are fng with Tatsuya like if he was some pawn to be played with carelessly, I feel a harsh lesson is in order. Silly JSPD people ( or however you spell that acronym ).
japzone
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by japzone »

shido wrote:
ParkX wrote:How long will it take to do an ePUB version of volume 13 when the volume is finished :?:
When I did epubs for Log Horizon and Index it only took me less than a day. For others I'm not sure, and for the ePub Generator I think I seen it come several days later(Log Horizon). That's based on those two series only.
Yeah it took me about a day to convert the wiki to an epub as well. Basic conversion is easy(plenty of tools that do that for you) but then you want to do things like embedding the full images, cleaning up useless excess HTML code that snuck in, adding in the Table of contents, reformatting things to adapt to the epub format properly, and overall making it look nice. The epub generator does a really nice job though, as I've never found any real issues with any of the ones I've downloaded, so making specific custom epubs for BakaTsuki is kind of pointless now :?

Best bet is to wait till volume 13 has a "Full Text" page available and then head on over to the epub generator and see if it's available on there yet.
shido
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

When I did epubs for Log Horizon and Index it only took me less than a day. For others I'm not sure, and for the ePub Generator I think I seen it come several days later(Log Horizon). That's based on those two series only.[/quote]
Yeah it took me about a day to convert the wiki to an epub as well. Basic conversion is easy(plenty of tools that do that for you) but then you want to do things like embedding the full images, cleaning up useless excess HTML code that snuck in, adding in the Table of contents, reformatting things to adapt to the epub format properly, and overall making it look nice. The epub generator does a really nice job though, as I've never found any real issues with any of the ones I've downloaded, so making specific custom epubs for BakaTsuki is kind of pointless now :?

Best bet is to wait till volume 13 has a "Full Text" page available and then head on over to the epub generator and see if it's available on there yet.[/quote]

I have a custom tool that I've created that fixes image widths in the css, and fix areas in the content.opf and toc.ncx. From there it checks to see if it's ePub 3.0 complaint using the idpf epub validator. If you ever check an epub from the epub generator it does comes out with a bunch of errors.
ianpsi
Astral Realm

Post by ianpsi »

hi just new in this thread.

i would just like to ask when will chapter 7 be out?
sweetdreams12
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by sweetdreams12 »

Hmm I'm a bit confused about something... In chapter 6 when Miyuki gets all controlling over Tatsuya, at the end of the scene, Minami is said to be 'keeping her head down to hide her twitching expression'. Now I take this to mean she was trying hard not to smile. If that is so, why? Is it because she sees Miyuki commanding Tatsuya, exerting her control over him for once?

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”