Mahouka - Steeplechase Arc : Volume 13

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Mahouka - Steeplechase Arc : Volume 13

Post by larethian »

This is the discussion thread for the Steeplechase Arc.

Please spoiler tag your posts for untranslated raw chapters or chapters that are translated out of order.

Stickied until v14 is released.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Steeplechase Arc : Volume 13

Post by larethian »

Re-posting my v13 spoilers:
Spoiler! :
Chapter 0 talks about origins and purpose of 9th research lab, which was to combine ancient magic and modern magic.
Kudou Minoru (2nd High student), Kudou Retsu's grandson, was born out of Kudou Makoto (Retsu's son) and his sister (who married into Fujibayashi family). There was no physical sex involved. It was done through artificial fertilization in artificial womb + genetic modification/enhancement (magic genes wise). Makoto felt inferior in his power and wanted to 'make' a generation worthy of Kudou name, as part of the Ten Master Clans. Which means Kyouko is both half-sister and half-cousin to Minoru, talk about complicated family relations! Kudou also plans to test his parasite doll at the 9 schools competition, in the Steeplechase event (essentially an obstacles race). Minoru has a frail body with unknown cause but suggested due to inbreeding issue and the genetic modification wasn't completely successful.

9SC breakdown:
1. Ice Pillar Break: Further divided into solo and pair categories.

2. Mirage Bat: No change.

3. Monolith Code: No change.

4. Rower and Gunner:
Further divided into solo and pair categories.
In the pair category, one person acts as the 'rower' of an unmotorized boat along a water channel, and the other acts as the 'gunner', who will shoot down targets either on the banks of the channel or moving on the water channel itself. Both the time taken to reach the goal and the number of targets shot will determine the score.
In the solo category, a single person acts as both the 'rower' and 'gunner'.
This event was derived originally from USNA's naval training menu.

5. Shield Down:
Further divided into solo and pair categories.
Participants holding shields will battle in an elevated arena. Winning conditions are either one of these: (a) destroy opponent's shield, (b) steal opponent's shield, (c) cause opponent to drop shield and unable to recover it for 5 seconds or more, (d) knock opponent out of the arena.
A participant can use both physical (either with his body or the shield) and magic attacks on the opponent's shield but only magic to knock an opponent off the arena. Physical strikes on the opponent's body are not allowed.

6. Steeplechase Cross-Country:
An obstacle course in the forest where participants compete by time taken to clear it. Originally derived from infantry training menu. Obstacles can be natural or man-made. They can be automated gun emplacements or magic obstacles. As Flere's spoiler mentioned, Steeplechase is restricted to years 2 and 3.

Other notable rules:
1. A participant can only participate in one event with the exception of Steeplechase. In other words, if a student enters any of the first 5 events listed, he or she can only enter Steeplechase as a 2nd event.

Other notable info:
1. According to Tatsuya's monologue, the new events require quite a variety of magic.
2. Steeplechase is not something that high school students should be competing in. Steeplechase is a high risk competition and in the event of a mishap, may cause the students to drop out of magic school.
jvmunhoz
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Mushoku Tensei (無職転生)

Post by jvmunhoz »

Volume 13 is already out? Wasn't it on april 10th?
In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.
royaloyalz
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by royaloyalz »

Hmm is larethian talking about the web novel versions? Or probably from facebook posts or other media sources?

I was also under the impression that it was coming out in 2 days, and I was pretty excited about it too!

EDIT:

Just read the spoilers, my gawd now I am even more in anticipation for the new volume to be out!

Thanks for sharing larethian!
Don't you just love reading? I think it is one of the joys of life, where we can escape the cold reality of the world and exist in something so much more fun and exciting! ^_^
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

It's not out but there's a preview of chapter 0 and part of chapter 1 available:
http://dengekibunko.dengeki.com/books/1 ... 13/?page=1
Sashiko
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

I took a look through the preview
Spoiler! :
It seems for the Row and Gunner event and the Shield Down event, Tatsuya is familiar with both a solo and pair version, however, it wasn't specify whether both or neither version are going to be held. If I remember correctly, there was an event in the last competition that was normally played in teams that had been modified to solo play for the Nine Schools competition.

With that in mind, perhaps, Steeplechase will be a team competition. It sounds to me no matter what the official rules are the schools should probably have their students cooperate at least partway to increase the students' chances of survival.

On another note, the Author made a point of showing Leo's Mountain club and even introduced the club president. Since it has become obvious that Steeplechase doesn't involve horses, perhaps, members of the Mountain club are going to participate in that event
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Sashiko wrote:I took a look through the preview
Spoiler! :
It seems for the Row and Gunner event and the Shield Down event, Tatsuya is familiar with both a solo and pair version, however, it wasn't specify whether both or neither version are going to be held. If I remember correctly, there was an event in the last competition that was normally played in teams that had been modified to solo play for the Nine Schools competition.

With that in mind, perhaps, Steeplechase will be a team competition. It sounds to me no matter what the official rules are the schools should probably have their students cooperate at least partway to increase the students' chances of survival.

On another note, the Author made a point of showing Leo's Mountain club and even introduced the club president. Since it has become obvious that Steeplechase doesn't involve horses, perhaps, members of the Mountain club are going to participate in that event
Page 49:
その上、アイス.ピラーズ.ブレイク、ロアー.アンド.ガンナー、シールド.ダウンはソロとペアに分かれているんです!
Flash
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Flash »

Vol 13 Illustration credited by araragi92
Spoiler! :
SkyZenith
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SkyZenith »

Flash wrote:Vol 13 Illustration credited by araragi92
Spoiler! :
....... This is what I'm talking about !!! Game on Ms. Bro-con 8)
yoyoyo5678
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by yoyoyo5678 »

larethian wrote:It's not out but there's a preview of chapter 0 and part of chapter 1 available:
Are Ayako and Fumiya (the siblings) the ones on the cover?
Link to my user on B-T
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

yoyoyo5678 wrote:
larethian wrote:It's not out but there's a preview of chapter 0 and part of chapter 1 available:
Are Ayako and Fumiya (the siblings) the ones on the cover?
Seems so. Ayako's twirls are quite telling (though I myself didn't notice them initially :lol:).
royaloyalz
Project Editor

Post by royaloyalz »

Lots of illustrations this time. Apparently there are 15, including the double spread coloured pages.

I'm seriously excited about this volume.

Wonder how long this arc will last. 2 volumes?

Also, seems like the Chinese translators will get on the job soon! :D

I doubt I will be waiting for Dreyakis' awesome work this time. I will spoil myself as the Chinese translators translate!
Don't you just love reading? I think it is one of the joys of life, where we can escape the cold reality of the world and exist in something so much more fun and exciting! ^_^
Ulrick
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Ulrick »

Ouah, so much illustrations! And Mayumi too! :P

I would like to be able to read japanese or chinese... :cry:
royaloyalz
Project Editor

Post by royaloyalz »

Ulrick wrote:Ouah, so much illustrations! And Mayumi too! :P

I would like to be able to read japanese or chinese... :cry:
Nothing out in Chinese yet though...

I am pretty sure the translators there are going to be starting as soon as they are done reading :D

However, already quite a few spoilers out there if you look around the forums and the facebook page.

Makes me even more interested in the meat of the story!
SandyBoi
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SandyBoi »

Spoiler! :
Wonder what's going on here between Erika and Leo. Hmm..
Spoiler! :
Getting rather cozy there Miyuki, lol. Minami feeling awkward and like the third wheel here.
Spoiler! :
Another attack by Miyuki on the sleeping Tatsuya. lol.
Spoiler! :
More illustrations.
Spoiler! :
Image Image Image Image Image
All of these were posted somewhere else. Just thought I'd bring them over here.

Makes me excited about this next volume :D

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”