Mahouka - Steeplechase Arc : Volume 13

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Sashiko
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Steeplechase Arc : Volume 13

Post by Sashiko »

Re: Monolith code and Masaki'a participation

It all depends on how well Masaki works in groups and the overall strategy of Third High. Remember when he participated the first year, he dominated every match he was in except the last one. The last match was also the only one where the other team members participated and they failed due to lack of teamwork. The strategists at Third High probably saw this and the Monolith Code team was probably 2 third years and a second year, they felt would make a good team captain the following year. It is likely that Masaki and the rest of the team from last year were sent to different competitions. After all, if each of them took a first place win then that would be more points than a single win in Monolith Code.

Sashiko

P.S. Speaking of Monolith Code, it seems likely that Mikihiko will be First High's next team captain.
P.P.S. First High's win in Monolith Code affects the plot development of Volume 14 but, not in the manner nr42 suggested.
Flash
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Flash »

I guess Masaki participated in Icicle Destruction solo and Steeplechase.

It was the 2nd contest he participated in last year and First High was ranked third in the solo and pair events.
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

I have a question. Was Hattori the 3rd member of the Monolith Code team? I can't remember what which event he did.
danv
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by danv »

Steeplechase arc felt a little lazy to me.
Spoiler! :
Miyuki yells at Tatsuya for what appears to be no reason. When he originally plans to take care of the parasite powered robots and convinces him to wait until shit hits the fan because that is easier. She doesn't convince him to leave it alone entirely, just to leave it alone for a few days... So for all her threatening to take away some of his powers, she is still ok with him doing it later on. Just not at night when she can get in bed with him. That was some

Then on the day of the Steeplechase, Tatsuya decides to take on the parabots up close for who knows what reason when he is the ultimate long range sniper magician. That made no sense considering a year previously he took out other enemies from outside their range. Why does he need to get close to enemies that can attack faster than him at close range when he has a robot minion that can locate them from a distance... guess its cause sniping makes for a boring fight scene.
The_Great_Galendo
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The_Great_Galendo »

danv wrote:Steeplechase arc felt a little lazy to me.
Spoiler! :
Miyuki yells at Tatsuya for what appears to be no reason. When he originally plans to take care of the parasite powered robots and convinces him to wait until shit hits the fan because that is easier. She doesn't convince him to leave it alone entirely, just to leave it alone for a few days... So for all her threatening to take away some of his powers, she is still ok with him doing it later on. Just not at night when she can get in bed with him. That was some

Then on the day of the Steeplechase, Tatsuya decides to take on the parabots up close for who knows what reason when he is the ultimate long range sniper magician. That made no sense considering a year previously he took out other enemies from outside their range. Why does he need to get close to enemies that can attack faster than him at close range when he has a robot minion that can locate them from a distance... guess its cause sniping makes for a boring fight scene.
The arc felt somewhat lazy to me, too, though for somewhat different reasons. The case you mentioned can sort of be explained away using the assumption that Mist Dispersal is still under wraps, so he doesn't want to show it off, and his weak magic power means that other long-range attacks are likely unable to incapacitate the targets.

I was more annoyed by the scenes that were left out. The fact that something like two-thirds of the people posting in this thread didn't know what event Masaki participated in is something that just shouldn't happen in a well-written story. I mean, he's not the most important of characters, but...how many people could name, without looking it up, what event Shizuku participated in? Minami? The Saegusa twins? The competition just wasn't given the coverage that it needed.

There are also a few things that come off as author oversights, like when Tatsuya and Fujibiyoushi discuss how to dispose of the combat suit he's given. News flash: Mist Dispersal would work just fine.
nr42 wrote:Putting Masaki in another event would be a bad call, Monolith code still gives the most points, apart from Steeple Chase.
Not necessarily. Monolith code gives the most points (max of 100), but it does not give the most points per participant (max of 60 in other events, only 33.3 in Monolith Code). If anything, putting both Masaki and Kichijouji in Monolith Code the previous year was likely the bad call. If you think your team can handle it, putting your ace elsewhere is a better plan.
tatsuyama
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tatsuyama »

Where does one get the raws? I would like to give it a go at translating. Only problem is that:
a), I do not know that much Japanese but am willing to learn.
b) where can I get the raws? and
c) Am finishing grade 12 currently but I end in a month and am willing to devote a large amount of time to translate a couple of chapters or scenes.
Sashiko
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

The only legal way to get the raws I know of is to buy the book from a Japanese bookstore, Amazon.com or the books Kinokuniya Bookweb website.

Sashiko
Shtirliz74
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shtirliz74 »

Spoiler! :
Don't forget that he can't destroy them because it may set them free and they then can chance to possess other students.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Shtirliz74 wrote:
Spoiler! :
Don't forget that he can't destroy them because it may set them free and they then can chance to possess other students.
Exactly the only way he currently has is the "anti-Parasite psion pellet" he developed last time. He replicated the spell that connected the parasite, then used the pellet to destroy it's defences and severe it's connection to the doll. After that he uses the replicated spell to reconnect it to the doll, making it go into hibernation.

I also have another (small) annoyance with not just this arc, but also the 9SC arc. The characters acted so dramatically about how close the score was and how Third high was a threat. No they weren't, First high won by a huge margin. In both cases they won well before the end of the competition.
I am hoping though that women will be allowed to do Monolith Code in next years competition.
1st High: Tatsuya, Miyuki,...
3rd High: Masaki, Kichijouji,...
4th Hight: the Kuroba twins,...
Mithradates
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mithradates »

So, up through 13 novels we have seen that the Yotsuba have some sort of sponsor. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to who it might be since it looks this sponsor may be coming into play after hearing Elder Kudou's remark in ch 8 that Sakai has earned "the wrath of that person". (another question is if this sponsor has even been introduced yet)
abbad0n
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by abbad0n »

Mithradates wrote:So, up through 13 novels we have seen that the Yotsuba have some sort of sponsor. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to who it might be since it looks this sponsor may be coming into play after hearing Elder Kudou's remark in ch 8 that Sakai has earned "the wrath of that person". (another question is if this sponsor has even been introduced yet)
The emperor? We haven't heard anything about the imperial family yet.
Jirachier
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Jirachier »

Spoiler! :
Spoiler! :
Well, the parasites could just turn themselves off again so they can't be located anymore, and only be turned on when one of the student is near them. In that situation Tatsuya could still snipe them but the existence of the parasites will become known to the regular students.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

@Jirachier: mist dispersal would only release them -> no sniping
abbad0n wrote:
Mithradates wrote:So, up through 13 novels we have seen that the Yotsuba have some sort of sponsor. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to who it might be since it looks this sponsor may be coming into play after hearing Elder Kudou's remark in ch 8 that Sakai has earned "the wrath of that person". (another question is if this sponsor has even been introduced yet)
The emperor? We haven't heard anything about the imperial family yet.
What sponsor? What imperial family?
Given the context isn't it much more likely that it refers to Maya, maybe Tatsuya, but most likely Maya.
abbad0n
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by abbad0n »

nr42 wrote:What sponsor? What imperial family?
Given the context isn't it much more likely that it refers to Maya, maybe Tatsuya, but most likely Maya.
Can't be anyone in the Yotsuba clan.

Volume 13 Chapter 5 wrote: At the butler's words, Maya nodded with her evil smile from before.
"Indeed, we cannot go against our sponsor's intentions. If it weren't for this, we would have to resort to violent means."
Between them the mood was that of henchmen, rather than master and servant.
Volume 13 The Ten Magician Research and Development Institutes wrote: Fourth Laboratory

Details unknown. Believed to be located near the borders of old Metro Tokyo and old Yamanashi prefecture. Believed to be established in 2033. Now shut down, but even its true status is unknown. Rumors exist that it was the only lab set up by an independent non-governmental sponsor which has a strong clout on nations, and it currently operates under said sponsor's support. There are also rumors that thanks to said sponsor, it was effectively operating before the AD 2020s.
Using mental interference magic, it aims to strengthen the magic calculation zone, the reservoir of the superpower so-called magic that resides in a magician's unconscious mind.
Imperial family was just my guess as to who the sponsor was. No one really knows right now.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

I agree that Maya's words hint at an external sponsor, but I don't see any reason why in the other cases it wouldn't just refer to the Yotsuba. Especially Elder Kudou's words that did not mention a sponsor, just incurring the wrath of someone. And since Miyuki would have been in the cross-hairs without Tatsuya's interference, wouldn't it be more likely that the person whose wrath had been incurred was either Maya or Tatsuya ?
I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, just that it's a bit of a leap. And I , too, am interested to know what Maya's words meant.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”