Who should Tatsuya end up with?

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Who do you want Tatsuya to end up with?

Shiba Miyuki
14%
Saegusa Mayumi
55%
Mitsui Honoka
8%
Chiba Erika
5%
Kitayama Shizuku
2%
Shibata Mizuki
No votes
Sirius Angelina / Lina
6%
Ichihara Suzune
No votes
Fujibayashi Kyouko
1%
Ono Haruka
No votes
Yotsuba Maya
2%
Other Girl/Woman
1%
A Guy
0%
Nobody
2%
He and Miyuki spend the rest of their lives by each other's side (not "that" way)
3%

Total votes: 309

nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Who should Tatsuya end up with?

Post by nr42 »

I agree, but is it really stated somewhere that the feelings for Miyuki were an accident?

It's quite improbable that his sole remaining emotion is sibling love; not rage or lust or anxiety or fear.

Binding him to the Yotsuba, without premeditation seems quite far fledged.
Psion
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Psion »

Spoiler! :
That is why I believe it is the result of Miya's trauma in terms of how Maya reacted towards when Miya tore apart her mind and the relations that the two were left with.... Formerly Miya and Maya appear to have had quite a good relationship, but then, as a result of Miya reluctantly using her ability to do what she thought would help Maya (despite knowing it would inflict a heavy cost on Maya) at the direction of the then head of the Yotsuba family, her father.

Maya then without any semblance of emotion, holds Miya to be the one who 'killed' her. I believe that it is likely that this episode had a massive impact on the young Miya and remained with her till her adult years when she tore apart her own son's mind at the order of her sister... no doubt such an event would have stirred any of her lingering emotional traumas.

If it was only that Tatsuya who was able to feel emotion towards Miyuki, then I might feel inclined to think that perhaps it was some sort of intended outcome. As it is, unless Maya was involved somehow (and was feeling particularly cruel - perhaps she too has some speck of emotion left in her? Miya does seem fixated on Tatsuya to an extent... there are purely intellectual reasons this could be the case but there could also be underlying, unidentified emotional aspects), it would appear that Miya, with the trauma of her experience with Maya and the mutilation of her sibling bond hanging over her, operated on Tatsuya.

Despite her doing so, the sibling bond between Tatuya and Miyuki was preserved (in stark contrast with that between Miya and Maya) - while her own emotional state underwent change as well, distancing herself from the victim (Tatsuya) of her depravity.
But really, this thread should be about Tatsuya's potential partnering, rather than the origins of his abilities.

One of the reasons I like Maya as a potential partner is that she is likely to be able to see the benefits of such an arrangement, despite knowing that affection is unlikely to be on the cards... of course that is assuming that someone can convince her to let go of her current course of action. That is a relatively difficult thing to do, once committed something, it becomes increasingly difficult to change your mind - even without significant emotional investment. Pixie too seems a good choice if there is limited emotional development on Tatuya's part... in particular their unusual relationship, Tatsuya with a heavy Psion leaning, Pixie with a heavy Pushion leaning... it just seems interesting given their current relationship dynamic.
Last edited by Psion on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ulrick
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Ulrick »

I want the girl to be Lina. That would be great. :D
maqhusson
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Post by maqhusson »

Zuruumi wrote:To maqhusson: I consider him strong too, of course, he is OP type MC. But as far as official approach goes he is a subpar magician who will get bad pay and never make it into any important position. Also the 10 families have the saem approach (well, because it is advantegous to them).
I know officially he would be a sub-par magician, but that's the fault of the system that is used to measure magicians. Sure it would work for the majority of magicians, but there are always exceptions, such as Tatsuya. I feel that the reason most people still consider him a sub-par magician is because they don't know his true abilities; if he was revealed to be the strategic class magician he is, I'm sure that not many would consider him sub-par, because he's an exception.

Before anyone else says that he is sub-par again and misunderstands me, the system is supposed to measure the ability of magicians to see who will be more successful; the ones that score better in this system are usually more successful. Those more successful magicians are likely to have higher paying jobs, such as bodyguard duty for elites or a combat magician. The "Weeds" are less likely to be able to handle these jobs. However, Tatsuya can easily accomplish these same jobs (he is already Mahesvara) despite being classified as sub-par, which means he is an exception. Heck, even the title is "The Irregular at Magic High School". It seems to me that the author has been trying to say that Tatsuya is an anomaly; he can easily overshadow most, if not all, of the"Blooms", so even if he is technically a sub-par magician, none that actually know of his true abilities will consider him sub-par. That's all I was saying.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Psion wrote:If it was only that Tatsuya who was able to feel emotion towards Miyuki, then I might feel inclined to think that perhaps it was some sort of intended outcome.
Let's not forget that for many years this was the case.
But you were right when you said we diverged from the topic.
Psion wrote: One of the reasons I like Maya as a potential partner is that she is likely to be able to see the benefits of such an arrangement, despite knowing that affection is unlikely to be on the cards... of course that is assuming that someone can convince her to let go of her current course of action. That is a relatively difficult thing to do, once committed something, it becomes increasingly difficult to change your mind - even without significant emotional investment. Pixie too seems a good choice if there is limited emotional development on Tatuya's part... in particular their unusual relationship, Tatsuya with a heavy Psion leaning, Pixie with a heavy Pushion leaning... it just seems interesting given their current relationship dynamic.
I think they are alike in many ways (of course partly this is because of their cold and calculated behaviour). And of course she's not some doormat like some others. Of course if they were to get together, the Yotsuba could go global immediately. International crime-syndicates would be small fries in comparison.

If he picks Pixie, Honoka is going to be gutted :)
kloistk_1792
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by kloistk_1792 »

nr42 wrote:If it were up to you, who would you want him to pick? (I purposefully left out the Harem-option)
I think he ends up with mayumi.. Because she is in love with him.. Miyuki only is his sister.. And he represent the union between saegusa and yotsuba clans..
All Nighter94
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by All Nighter94 »

I think he ends up with mayumi.. Because she is in love with him.. Miyuki only is his sister.. And he represent the union between saegusa and yotsuba clans..[/quote]

Mayumi would be nice, but knowing the Saegusa family. It's quite unlikely :P Miyuki boat all the way :arrow: :mrgreen:
The Grammar Nazi

Saving the internet's spelling and grammar ONE sentence at a time

Editor on Krytykal's translation blog
ergoGnomik
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ergoGnomik »

Psion wrote:One of the reasons I like Maya as a potential partner is that she is likely to be able to see the benefits of such an arrangement, despite knowing that affection is unlikely to be on the cards...
And what would be the purpose of this partnering?
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

By the way, as I have also been watching the anime I just rememberd, but to the problems of Tatsuya marriying Mayumi, Juumonji was advicing him to marry her just after he defeated Masaki and Juumonji was about 90% serious about this. Ifatsuya T manages to defeat someone other from the 10 clans (which is quite propable) it might turn out to a serious problem, if Silver gets to be known about that time than the 10 clans will most likely push him into marrying someone from their families, even if they had to be a bit forceful about that. You know, as long as he defeats 1 it might be just a one weaker person, it might be a fluke or it might be him letting down his guard etc. but once he defeats 2 it will be a completely different matter. (Well there is always the possibility of him being Yotsuba getting revealed after that, therefore easing the tension a lot, however it will hardly disappear and we can´t also forget about some "inertia")
maqhusson
Void Mage

Post by maqhusson »

Zuruumi wrote:By the way, as I have also been watching the anime I just rememberd, but to the problems of Tatsuya marriying Mayumi, Juumonji was advicing him to marry her just after he defeated Masaki and Juumonji was about 90% serious about this. Ifatsuya T manages to defeat someone other from the 10 clans (which is quite propable) it might turn out to a serious problem, if Silver gets to be known about that time than the 10 clans will most likely push him into marrying someone from their families, even if they had to be a bit forceful about that. You know, as long as he defeats 1 it might be just a one weaker person, it might be a fluke or it might be him letting down his guard etc. but once he defeats 2 it will be a completely different matter. (Well there is always the possibility of him being Yotsuba getting revealed after that, therefore easing the tension a lot, however it will hardly disappear and we can´t also forget about some "inertia")
I'm watching the anime too ^_^. I agree that it'd cause a commotion within the Ten Master Clans. I personally think that the Yotsubas will do something about it though. I don't think that the Yotsubas would want Tatsuya's existence and true power to be known, so one possibility that I had in mind was that the Yotsuba might reveal some information suggesting that the 'Shiba' family is an extra family that serves the Yotsuba clan. They wouldn't outright say it and lie, but might leave suggestive hints that would lead to that conclusion. Mayumi's suspicions about Tatsuya were quelled by this for the most part, and I think that the other clans would be able to believe it somewhat, although reluctantly. Maybe not, but it's a possibility that came to my mind.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Well that might be the case if it was only about Tatsuya, but as long as they wish to reveal Miyuki being Yotsuba, I don´t think saying Tatsuya (as her brother) is an extra would fly so easily (and creating a lie for it to be exposed only few months later isn´t too productive).
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

But they wouldn't have to; instead of calling him an extra, they say he's her guardian. Nothing the other nine Master Clans can do about it. Guardians have no live. But than again, don't forget that Maya has some special plan for Tatsuya, since she wants him to quite being a guardian.

And another thought: unless he gets married off within the next 1.5 year, Miyuki will be the one deciding whom he marries. And we all know what that means.
ergoGnomik wrote:
Psion wrote:One of the reasons I like Maya as a potential partner is that she is likely to be able to see the benefits of such an arrangement, despite knowing that affection is unlikely to be on the cards...
And what would be the purpose of this partnering?
epic world domination, two genius manipulators, two seriously OP magicians, two cold-hearted bastards. The only person of whom it is unknown whether Tatsuya could beat them. :shock: They're made for each other, I'd like to change my vote to Maya. She'd kick Miyuki and Mayumi's asses, if she wanted to.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Not really, Tatsuya would win as Maya already tested herself (because of the affinity problem). As for Miyuki deciding about the marriage, well it might still turn into situation, when there is no other option, and also, Miyuki would never forbid him to do anything if he said he wishes to do so (well it is also a truth, that Tatsuya would hardly ever do anything that Miyuki would hate).
maqhusson
Void Mage

Post by maqhusson »

Zuruumi wrote:Well that might be the case if it was only about Tatsuya, but as long as they wish to reveal Miyuki being Yotsuba, I don´t think saying Tatsuya (as her brother) is an extra would fly so easily (and creating a lie for it to be exposed only few months later isn´t too productive).
Hmm, yeah, I didn't think too much of it at the time, so that's kind of a problem. However, I don't think they'd really need to reveal anything about Miyuki; if they only talk about Tatsuya, and suggest that he's an extra and not talk about Miyuki at all, most people would probably suspect her of being an extra as well, since they're siblings. They're still not lying that way because people themselves would assume that.
nr42 wrote:But they wouldn't have to; instead of calling him an extra, they say he's her guardian. Nothing the other nine Master Clans can do about it. Guardians have no live.
But people would most likely want to know about the background of such a powerful guardian, and I don't think Maya wants to reveal Tatsuya's Yotsuba bloodline as of yet, so hinting at him being an extra might be a decent way to cove it up. Just a possibility.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

That is why I said, that it would get doubted soon :), they plan to reveal Miyuki´s background after her graduation, therefore as the two are siblings everybody would think, that he is also an Yotsuba. Also, even if they hinted on him being an extra, general public is almost unavare about them (as Mayumi mentioned after he recognized her bodyguard as an extra and she said that only a person from the 100 families+extra know about that or something like this), the information about him being an extra would spread slowly (because it is considered being a taboo) and the main problem is not the hurt pride of the 10 clans, but rather the influence on magic comunity of someone of 10 families being defeated and the comunity thus doubting their power and thinking something like: even I might be able to do it. In a way, revealing that he is an extra might be even worse than doing nothing, as that would mean: A failure defeats first class 10 clans member.
And well, about him being extra, it is almost a truth. Though the time period is different he is in almost the same position, though he is the first generation extra :).

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”