Possible Regrowth spoiler!

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Minru
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Possible Regrowth spoiler!

Post by Minru »

I was trying to think of a new way to use regrowth other than to copy their edios from before they were injured and then rewriting the current edios with itself from earlier and I think I came up with a good one.

Tatsuya can scan back at least 24 hours so even if there isn't a battle, once a day he rewrites his and miyuki's edios from 23hours 59 minutes before. he does this every day so the real ageing process is slowed down to 1min per day.

I can just see every ones reaction when they realise the sibling are practically immortal. Then when miyuki inherits the position of head of the yotsuba people realise that the yotsuba have discovered the secret of immortality.

Talk about a cat amongst the pigeons. Everyone would freak!

I could see miyuki as the principal of first high and tatsuya teaching the technical class with their students being the kids or grandkids or great grandkids of their current classmates.
TheLaG
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Possible Regrowth spoiler!

Post by TheLaG »

First of all, this possibility was already discussed some time ago in general tread :)
From conclusions we got, that is not really possible, coz, Tatsuya will lose all memories from 24h, so basically there is no point in doing so, no accumulated knowledge or experience left to him.
Minru
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Minru »

I have not trolled through the whole general post, only the last few months worth. Despite that I actually considered this possibility. in the thesis comp arc kirihara was staring at his restored leg in shock, also in the chopper when miyuki was explaining the process of regrowth isori was remembering the pain from his wound and wondering if he was brave enough to endure that much pain to heal someone. While not explicitly stated I got the impression that both of them remembered being injured, which would invalidate that hypothesis. Also tatsuya needs to examine the edios he is re-writing to such an extent that he feels there pain. if that extends to the mind, in order to wind back to an earlier version then wouldn't he need to be able to read their thoughts. If he could read an enemies thought then erase their memories of those thoughts then wouldn't the yotsuba value him much higher? Somehow I got the impression that it was the physical body being overwritten and not the mind, though that would be a good area for him to explore and improve regrowth.

I'm not sure how that would affect magic training, but it would undo any physical training he did.
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

The reason they remembered their injuries is because Tatsuya didn't regrow their heads. Unless Kirihara remembers with his leg, it's very logical he would remember the pain.

Also just because he can replace the particles in the brain doesn't mean he can read what thoughts they entail.
If you were to give me a piece of coded text, I would be able to copy it. But, I would not be able to read it.
Minru
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Minru »

that makes some sense, but for tatsuya any information he couldn't read would be like a really bad itch heh.

I know the anime and manga are not canonical but they always show a mock up of a whole body(including head) being superimposed on another(presumably damaged) body. now either they are taking liberties, or the head is being copied as well. we may need more info, what page was the discussion on regrowth held in the general post? I'll go read that next.
ShaRose
Astral Realm

Post by ShaRose »

Memories aren't rewritten or altered in any way: In fact, the subject actually retains the ability to discern what's happening to them, at least as per volume 8 Chapter 14. Here's the part in question.
Spoiler! :
An overwhelming ‘something’ was released from my brother’s left hand.

It covered my dying body, easily penetrated my barrier of Data Fortification, and flowed into me.
My brother’s ‘heart’ enveloped me.
I could think of no other way to describe it.
It read my body’s everything, and remade everything anew.
My body, ‘me’ myself, was being recreated.
By my brother’s will, by my brother’s strength.
Merely calling it magic could not describe its power, its exquisiteness, and its audacity yet delicacy.
No, without a doubt, this is ‘magic’.
This is something truly worthy of the appellation ‘magic’.
I felt like I could see the God of Death, in the distance, turning away.
Absolutely helpless and seeming rather vexed.
Of course, that must have been a hallucination.
The God of Death in my hallucination seemed rather human, and without thinking, I gave a little laugh.
There was no longer any sensation of blood welling up in my throat at all.
One thing to note is that this might not be the case as Tatsuya became more accustomed to the magic, at least with the 'they can feel what's happening to them as it's happening' part, as it likely happens too fast for them to realize what's going on. Also, Tatsuya would be unable to erase or alter memories: that's something only Miya could do, and even then it would be impossible to erase 'memories between X and Y', as she said herself.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”