Mahouka has been licensed

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka has been licensed

Post by larethian »

After seeing the recent discussions and reflecting on it, I have deleted and edited a number of posts that discuss possibilities of alternative sites or continued alternative fan translations. Any such discussions or encouragement of active infringement of LICENSED works, even if the said infringement happens outside of baka-tsuki should not be allowed.

While we appreciate the support and popularity of this fan-translated project, and can understand the 'difficult' time that fans are going through, though it is a regretful decision, we need to maintain the consistent credibility of baka-tsuki in not advocating infringement of LICENSED works in any way. This will help baka-tsuki to continue operating as a fan-translation hosting site to continue bringing you more fan-translated niche works that might never get licensed, or improve the chances of a natively popular work in getting licensed by generating awareness (or indirectly testing Western market reception) in such works. Despite the fact that baka-tsuki is actually in the gray area of copyright law (which I personally feel needs an adjustment), we want to be (and can be) seen by publishers, whether they are Western publishers or native ones, and the creators of the works (authors and illustrators), not as a bane, but as a symbiotic boon in spreading the reach of their creative works, be it in a monetary manner or a non-monetary manner.
Thus, continued pursuit of such discussions will result in your posts getting deleted/edited, or may even get you awarded with a warning or more seriously, a ban.

Specifically:
1. you may not ask whether anyone will continue fan-translating the project outside of BT
2. you may not encourage others to continue fan-translating or hosting fan-translations
3. you may not ask for links of sites or shares with raws, or previous or continued fan translations
4. you may not talk about how to skirt around rules, BT policy, and so on and so forth
This is what I can think of for now, and is a non-exhaustive list. The BT staff reserves the right to implement any other action in supporting baka-tsuki's continued existence. Thank you for your kind understanding and cooperation.
2hayka
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei as of currently

Post by 2hayka »

The seemingly endless debate/discussion has been brought to a close.
Conclusion (how I see it), stop your winding.
Favorite LNs: Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru, Spice and Wolf, No Game no Life, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Campione!, Clockwork Planet. There should be more...
Mahesvara
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mahesvara »

Are you saying that all these years you guys were angels and did not violate licensing laws? Mahouka has been licensed all this time, but since it wasn't a US company you didn't care. You are now saying that those of us who want the fan translations to continue are breaking the law, but that is exactly what baka-tsuki has been doing this entire time. I find these arbitrary lines regarding translations to be quite ridiculous.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Mahesvara wrote:Mahouka has been licensed all this time, but since it wasn't a US company you didn't care.
Where and in what language has it been licensed all this time? According to the rules, BT should not be hosting any project in any language for which there is an officially published translation.
Mahesvara
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mahesvara »

ASCII Media Works
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Mahesvara, I advise you to get yourself properly educated and make factual posts. Also, trolling and flaming will be severely dealt with.
Your last post was extraordinary amusing to me.
Other than that, I am indeed referring to only active infringement on the English license, not the original work or other language licenses. Prior to this the stakes were different. Since a long time in history, there's a reason why people turn a blind eye to fan translations or even why original creators sometimes tolerate other forms of infringement to a degree. With regards to fan-translations, I would say that the mutual benefit (though not always the case) that can be accrued has become clearer these days. But I don't want to spend a long time and energy in discussing this here. Anyway, now with an official license, stakes have changed for both fan-translators, a hosting site like baka-tsuki, and the original creators, and licensing parties. In fact, even if the licensing party does not 'feel' inclined to take legal action against fan-translating sites in the target country, they have to because it's usually a part of the licensing deal. Or perhaps, you might think it'd better if all of us stop fan-translating everything altogether to become what you referred to as 'angels'. For the record, I actually don't mind that.
Lastly, if you are unable to contain your emotional outburst and stay civil, please don't bother posting.
Mahesvara
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mahesvara »

I hardly regard that as an "outburst" or being "uncivil". Did I curse? Use profane language? Makes threats? No, I simply made a statement you disagreed with. Taking criticism and branding it as "trolling" and "flaming" shows the nature of your character.
harks87
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by harks87 »

hey guys larethin told that other languge transtlation is allowed why cant we simply translate to english first and then use goole translate to other langauge and post in so that if we want to read we simply use again google translate to english as i try to read other already translated other langages chapters bythis above method and i found it be quite good can i have others views about it pl :?: :?:

and this way we dont break any rules or licensing rights :roll: :roll:
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

BT is just so ridiculous, let us all ditch it!
popocatepetl
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by popocatepetl »

I am one of the avid readers of MKnR. It saddens me to see it go and grow up into what it is now. A lot of good novels follow this path. But I would not, in my selfishness, want to puttin Baka-Tsuki at risk of being shut down completely by breaking the rules and in turn taking away the pleasure of reading novels from other people.
If only the finest birds in the forest dared sing, how quiet the forest would be.
-William W. Purkey
Arleider
Astral Realm

Post by Arleider »

Do you know a good site to buy the LNs that are licensed ? Specially for a European country and with Paypal.

PS : Sorry for my bad english :3
vallor
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: 変態王子と笑わない猫。 (Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.)

Post by vallor »

A lot of friends of mine bought their YenPress books on http://www.bookdepository.com/.
No shipping costs, and you can buy with a PayPal account. ;)
French Editor and Translator

What I'm doing very very slowly
----------
Yevgeny Yevtushenko wrote:Translation is like a woman. If it is beautiful, it is not faithful. If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful.
DefaultMelody
Edit-Translator [101-AETB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by DefaultMelody »

harks87 wrote:hey guys larethin told that other languge transtlation is allowed why cant we simply translate to english first and then use goole translate to other langauge and post in so that if we want to read we simply use again google translate to english as i try to read other already translated other langages chapters bythis above method and i found it be quite good can i have others views about it pl :?: :?:

and this way we dont break any rules or licensing rights :roll: :roll:
Wow, that's... irritating. (And kind of remind me of that other problem we had a few months ago.)
Alternatives languages are not some kind of replacement where you put them in a machine translator just to read it again in english. They're ways for people, not as fluent in english as native speakers, to read them in their native language.

To note that this LN project has 11 Alternative Languages projects just means that there's a lot of people (translators, editors and typesetters) who dedicate a part of their free time to translate them back in another language. By saying those lines, you're just reducing their work to a simple machine translation that people read. It's just depreciating all the work and the people working in those projects.

(Sidenote: As a former French translator, it's hard to believe that people continue to think translating is a simple matter.)
Former BT member.
Always MIA.
Send your complaints to Vallor for any old stuff.
harks87
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by harks87 »

well i am no way try to riducle their work if u try to translate the french to eng using google translate u will exactly see what i am trying to say it looks quite readable and viceversa this both language readers can read ,yes there may be some mistakes but u haveto adjust and its better than nothing and not all 11 languages r currently progressing if u see all other languages have been translated from english so basically if english translation stops so be the other language translatio
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Mahesvara wrote:I hardly regard that as an "outburst" or being "uncivil". Did I curse? Use profane language? Makes threats? No, I simply made a statement you disagreed with. Taking criticism and branding it as "trolling" and "flaming" shows the nature of your character.
I'm telling you to make factual posts and at least get yourself educated before posting your opinions. ASCII Media Works is not even a licensing company. It is the publisher. Strong comments made from ignorance and non-facts are just short of troll-posting and flame bait, which makes a thread toxic and is pretty much dealt with harshly in most forums. Apparently, you don't understand the stakes of running this site, what this site is about (and just very short of attacking the contributors here), the stakes of a licensed deal with the original publisher vs when there's none, and why fan translations of all kinds of media can continue to exist for so long in history before licensing takes place. You may want to do some-depth research on how far we have come to get a better understanding. Otherwise, a good place to make your unreserved complaints will be 4chan, where most of us don't care much about. If you disagree with the way we do things, you can by all means start your own fan translation site. Even if you don't know how to translate, you can recruit your own translators and staff. Of course, if you are translating a licensed work, you can't put your site links here on this forum or anywhere on baka-tsuki. Thanks for understanding. 8)
KuroiHikari wrote:BT is just so ridiculous, let us all ditch it!
Planning to do that. Only reason why I pop in every now and then is to try to keep TLG's (a man we all respect) legacy alive.

But anyway, all this discontentment about Mahouka getting licensed will die down in a year, like any other licensed series. There are still so many amazing series out there to put our attention on.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”