Mahouka has been licensed

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

L_rz
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel: MKnR

Re: Mahouka has been licensed

Post by L_rz »

DefaultMelody wrote:Alternatives languages are not some kind of replacement where you put them in a machine translator just to read it again in english. They're ways for people, not as fluent in english as native speakers, to read them in their native language.
Well, yes, you're right, I do not disagree. However, I prefer giving examples. There are things that work out and things that do not. Like in life. It's pretty funny, if you'd like to see it, please check this out:

A simple, not so critical thing that works...
Spoiler! :
Suddenly, Tatsuya stopped and lightly shook his left arm which was leaned on Miyuki, and she released it immediately.
--> (SP) De repente, Tatsuya se detuvo y sacudió ligeramente su brazo izquierdo que se apoyó en Miyuki, y ella lo soltó de inmediato.
--> (FR) Soudain, Tatsuya arrêté et légèrement secoué son bras gauche qui a été appuyé sur Miyuki, et elle a publié immédiatement.
--> Suddenly, Tatsuya stopped and slightly shook his left arm which was supported by Miyuki, and she released him immediately.

The changes: "lightly" to "slightly ", "which was leaned on" to "which was supported by" and "it" to "him" <--hell! Let's say this works.
A thing that works hideously in some place that there's some emotion and you really *really* need that it works ok...
Spoiler! :
Thus, in less than a second, she built a Zone Interference field in the shape of a huge cocktail glass where offensive magic wasn’t allowed at all from either the sky or the underground.
--> (SP) Así, en menos de un segundo, ella construyó un campo de interferencia Zona en la forma de un enorme vaso de cóctel donde la magia ofensiva no estaba permitido en absoluto, ya sea el cielo o el metro.
--> (FR) Ainsi, en moins d'une seconde, elle a construit un champ d'interférence Zone sous la forme d'un énorme verre à cocktail où la magie offensive ne était pas autorisé du tout à partir soit le ciel ou le métro.
--> Thus, in less than a second, she built an interference field area in the form of a huge glass of cocktail where the offensive magic was not allowed at all, either heaven or subway.

The change "from either the sky or the underground" to "either heaven or subway"? <--- Hell!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So, in sum up, I don't think that in general it will work out because Mahouka is a complex series with an intertwining plot, lots of tech stuff, and very descriptive fighting scenes that we really *really* needed that the great BT TL staff made an effort into describing them as best as the author wanted to express them...
L_rz
Mikuru's Master

Post by L_rz »

harks87 wrote:so basically if [sic english] translation stops so [sic be] the other language [sic translatio]*
  • So basically, if the English translation stops, then the other languages' translations will stop too

This is not true at all. I know of a great Japanese-Spanish TL that regretfully is not in BT anymore, is very fast, and is continuing his work. He's currently at Vol 8 and very soon in Vol 9. If you ask me for his site, I'd say please go ahead and search for him.
vallor
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: 変態王子と笑わない猫。 (Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.)

Post by vallor »

Machine Translations aren't the topic of this subforum.
Please stop discussing it right now, or sanctions will follow.
French Editor and Translator

What I'm doing very very slowly
----------
Yevgeny Yevtushenko wrote:Translation is like a woman. If it is beautiful, it is not faithful. If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful.
harks87
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by harks87 »

how did machine translation come in to picture, i just said that we do normal translation(jap/chinese to english) and just use google translate to what ever language and post it and if we want to read we just use google translate again to translate to english and read so basically original english translation will still be there but in other language who ever want to read can just use google translate separtely but in BT it will alwyas in other language so that no rules or licensing problem will come :wink:
Mahesvara
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mahesvara »

The problem is for the other languages that get machine fed from English in order for your scheme to work. The readers in those languages get screwed.
Ket'lane35
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (licensed), Tokyo Ravens...

Post by Ket'lane35 »

harks87 wrote:how did machine translation come in to picture, i just said that we do normal translation(jap/chinese to english) and just use google translate to what ever language and post it and if we want to read we just use google translate again to translate to english and read so basically original english translation will still be there but in other language who ever want to read can just use google translate separtely but in BT it will alwyas in other language so that no rules or licensing problem will come :wink:
If you think Google translation does a good job, why don't you just buy the books, scan them, convert the images to text and use GT to translate it into English? It would save some time to the English translators (although I doubt one would want to waste his time doing good translations only for them to be destroyed by machine translation) and wouldn't pollute alternative language projects with some machine translation crap.

I absolutely don't think that was your intention and I don't know about the others, but as an alternative language translator, I feel kind of insulted... It's as if our work, destined to people who can't read English, is just a way for you to get around the rules... As Larethian said, there are tons of interesting projects here that you can read while waiting for the official release.

And stop posting your messages in two threads.
onizuka-gto wrote:Do not "cross post"

You are not permitted to post the same message in more than one forum or more than once in the same forum. Please take care to post your message in the forum or thread for which it is best suited. Do not post your message to an existing thread when it is not relevant to the topic. Reading the description under each forum title, and careful use of the search features, should help you find the right location for your message. If you post in the wrong location please send a private message to a member of staff who will move your post for you. Please do not make the mistake worse by posting the same message again in another location.
Pour guérir quelque chose qui ne marche pas ou qui fait trop de bruit, il faut et il suffit de taper dessus avec quelque chose qui marche mieux ou qui fait plus de bruits. -- devise Shadock
vallor
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: 変態王子と笑わない猫。 (Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.)

Post by vallor »

how did machine translation come in to picture, i just said that we do normal translation(jap/chinese to english) and just use google translate to what ever language and post it and if we want to read we just use google translate again to translate to english and read so basically original english translation will still be there but in other language who ever want to read can just use google translate separtely but in BT it will alwyas in other language so that no rules or licensing problem will come :wink:
You basically will "translate" the English translation into another language thanks to a software, in order to be able to read the English translation in the future, when the series get licensed. In other words, you wanna use MTL to disregard the law and Baka-Tsuki's rules.
For that, and to have ignored my warning, you got a caution. Please don't make a fool of me.
French Editor and Translator

What I'm doing very very slowly
----------
Yevgeny Yevtushenko wrote:Translation is like a woman. If it is beautiful, it is not faithful. If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful.
Creqaw
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Creqaw »

Somewhat sad to see it getting licensed, I basically give up all hope as it takes way too long to catch up to fan translations. It was fun while it lasted, one of the first LN series I got into. I might buy a few books to support the author but will most likely stop following this.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

Double translation through google doesn't get you the same thing.
So, let's not bother with harks87.

Obviously, the real solution is for someone to start a new platform, so they can do what they want on it.
IndividualEleven
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by IndividualEleven »

Yea Vol 16 won't come out. well I say that but what I mean is BT won't release them due to their rules. I knew from the sales of MKnR that it would get licensed so Im just glad i saved all the PDFs for Vol 1-13 and also got everything for Vol 14 before they took it down. honestly Im excited to see YenPress first release of MKnR. Ill definitely get it and see their work.
shido
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

IndividualEleven wrote:Yea Vol 16 won't come out. well I say that but what I mean is BT won't release them due to their rules. I knew from the sales of MKnR that it would get licensed so Im just glad i saved all the PDFs for Vol 1-13 and also got everything for Vol 14 before they took it down. honestly Im excited to see YenPress first release of MKnR. Ill definitely get it and see their work.
Volume 14 is still there they just took out everything else
L_rz
Mikuru's Master

Post by L_rz »

IndividualEleven wrote:Yea Vol 16 won't come out.

You mention this like assuming :? that V15 will be in BT, but it won't. Also, please remember that V14 can be *puff* gone at any moment, since the rules state that "the latest" for its removal should be 2 months prior to the licensing start date, but that does not mean that it can't be deleted as soon as right now :| ...
IndividualEleven
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by IndividualEleven »

L_rz wrote:
IndividualEleven wrote:Yea Vol 16 won't come out.

You mention this like assuming :? that V15 will be in BT, but it won't. Also, please remember that V14 can be *puff* gone at any moment, since the rules state that "the latest" for its removal should be 2 months prior to the licensing start date, but that does not mean that it can't be deleted as soon as right now :| ...

Yes you have a good point there as well. we may not even get the chance to read the english Translation of Vol 15 before the 2 months is up. We can only hope that we get maybe a glimpse but if the Translator doesn't think he can make it in time i myself would just stop and give up.
L_rz
Mikuru's Master

Post by L_rz »

IndividualEleven wrote:We may not even get the chance to read the english Translation of Vol 15 before the 2 months is up.
I don't know why, but I'm still under the impression :shock: that you think that [sic BT English Translators]* are working on V15. If that's not the case, please disregard this post.

But if it is (the case): NO. They aren't. Nobody in BT is working on V15 English :|. So the LAST volume of MKnR in English ever published in BT will be V14. And not for too long...

* Edit: BT English Translators, I mean BT English Translation Collaborators.
Last edited by L_rz on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

BT has translators? I didn't know that.

As far as the rules go, whoever's translating Mahouka isn't allowed to put other chapters onto BT besides the ones of Vol 14, since Vol 15 isn't 50% done and posted onto BT.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”