Mahouka: General

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei ?

It was good! Please do more!
99%
It was interesting.
1%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 7748

zwabbit
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: General

Post by zwabbit »

Here's hoping this doesn't get lost since I can't seem to pm you directly yet....

To Sashiko

I'm actually wondering if I can get your opinion on a word at the start of vol 9 ch 3. Right before the dialog starts, there's a guy who is described with the characters 相捧. The Japanese dictionaries I've searched do not have this particular compound and attempts to google it have generally turned up Chinese results. The closest 'literal' translation I can come up with is 'guy who one shoots the breeze with' or something along the lines, but that's a complete crapshoot based on the original meaning of 捧 in Chinese and trying to extrapolate how it is being used in conjunction with 相 in Japanese, combined with the context those two kanji are used in.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

相棒(aibou) = pal/buddy/partner/sidekick
zwabbit
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zwabbit »

Wow, I feel like an idiot. Completely misread the left side of the second kanji. Note to self: get magnifying glasses. Thanks.
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

Dolus wrote:
Samael609 wrote: p.s. joko : tatsuya use material burst on a 1 kg flag it's the same as 1 kg of water the question about the limit mass of the target pf material burst is a good one, if the target is an object whitout regard of his mass if tatsuya target the moon he can probably blast the entire solar system ....
Highly improbable, the area containing planets in our solar system might be destroyed as a chain reaction if the blast manages to make the sun go supernova, but only a small fraction of our galaxy actually contain planets, and only making the sun go supernova would take a truly monstrous amount of energy.
The energy released if Tatsuya used material burst on the moon would be 6.609X10^39 joules which is 1.58X10^30 tons of tnt. For comparison a typical supernova gives off 10^44 joules which is 2.39X10^34 tons of tnt. So it basically would be a super nova and would probably cause the Sun to also super nova.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

[quote="Gohankuten"][quote="Dolus"][quote="Samael609"] p.s. joko : tatsuya use material burst on a 1 kg flag it's the same as 1 kg of water the question about the limit mass of the target pf material burst is a good one, if the target is an object whitout regard of his mass if tatsuya target the moon he can probably blast the entire solar system ....[/quote]

Highly improbable, the area containing planets in our solar system might be destroyed as a chain reaction if the blast manages to make the sun go supernova, but only a small fraction of our galaxy actually contain planets, and only making the sun go supernova would take a truly monstrous amount of energy.[/quote]
The energy released if Tatsuya used material burst on the moon would be 6.609X10^39 joules which is 1.58X10^30 tons of tnt. For comparison a typical supernova gives off 10^44 joules which is 2.39X10^34 tons of tnt. So it basically would be a super nova and would probably cause the Sun to also super nova.[/quote]

The force from material burst being used on the moon is not quite a super nova, it is several thousand times smaller. But it would without a doubt be enough for the sun to become unstable, if not trigger an immediate supernova. But even if the sun went supernova, our sun is most likely far too small to cause any kind of damage to anything near the edge of our solar system.
Guest2
Astral Realm

Post by Guest2 »

[quote="crisisavatar"]
Also all mention of his psion count we know til now has been before Miyuki released the Conqueror and when that happened the surge that was released was described as blinding so yeah ... that is on another level now.[/quote]It was mentioned in the first novel powerful magicians give off a poweful aura of psion light like Mayumi does in the 1st novel and others can sense this. One reason Miyuki suppresses Tatsuya's own is to hide his ability, otherwise the other mages would be able to tell straight away he's been holding back. The release of the aura was just really flashy.

[quote="joko"][quote="zelkstone"]Speaking of Tatsuya's Material Burst, is there a limit to how much energy he can actually release?
1. Does Tatsuya release the energy inside the object, or does he inject it with his own energy to start the explosion?
[/quote]Read the chapter again, his spell is Mass to Energy conversion. Magic in this novel doesn't consume energy, only magic pasticles.
werewolf
Astral Realm

Post by werewolf »

so yeah actually he doesnt have to targets a tangible object. if he has the technology which i think he probably can make. he can target one kg of air and still cause a deal of the same kind of destruction. so basically he has endless supply of ammo. i still wish he can do gravity magic. i mean that would be an awesome combo use gravity magic to put high mobile target in place and use his op power (it not considered magic) to destroy it. oh yeah by the way i made a picture of how mknr world looks like. i only did what country seems important. :P http://postimg.org/image/gm31zpiz1/
TheLaG
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TheLaG »

werewolf wrote:so yeah actually he doesnt have to targets a tangible object. if he has the technology which i think he probably can make. he can target one kg of air and still cause a deal of the same kind of destruction. so basically he has endless supply of ammo. i still wish he can do gravity magic. i mean that would be an awesome combo use gravity magic to put high mobile target in place and use his op power (it not considered magic) to destroy it. oh yeah by the way i made a picture of how mknr world looks like. i only did what country seems important. :P http://postimg.org/image/gm31zpiz1/
Picture looks right :D At least looks somewhat close to what is expected from formations after end of current financial crisis :D

About Tatsuya ability, if i recall correctly, he cannot target some part of object, he can target only object as whole, for example that water drop on ship, or flag on flagship... So basically we can deduce, he can target only specific uniform / made from same material object, and use magic on it, so, for example, he cannot target 1 x 1 x 1 cm of space inside wall, or fraction of water in sea, but can target some nails in wooden house, or screws in car :D
Samael609
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Samael609 »

TheLaG wrote:
werewolf wrote:so yeah actually he doesnt have to targets a tangible object. if he has the technology which i think he probably can make. he can target one kg of air and still cause a deal of the same kind of destruction. so basically he has endless supply of ammo. i still wish he can do gravity magic. i mean that would be an awesome combo use gravity magic to put high mobile target in place and use his op power (it not considered magic) to destroy it. oh yeah by the way i made a picture of how mknr world looks like. i only did what country seems important. :P http://postimg.org/image/gm31zpiz1/
Picture looks right :D At least looks somewhat close to what is expected from formations after end of current financial crisis :D

About Tatsuya ability, if i recall correctly, he cannot target some part of object, he can target only object as whole, for example that water drop on ship, or flag on flagship... So basically we can deduce, he can target only specific uniform / made from same material object, and use magic on it, so, for example, he cannot target 1 x 1 x 1 cm of space inside wall, or fraction of water in sea, but can target some nails in wooden house, or screws in car :D
In fact he propably can, during the eradication of blanche he use decomposition on part of the body only but it's says that a difficult feat to do.
TheLaG
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TheLaG »

Samael609 wrote:In fact he propably can, during the eradication of blanche he use decomposition on part of the body only but it's says that a difficult feat to do.
It was decomposition, but we are talking about Material Burst, it's different kind of magics, from what I know, Mist Dispersal can easy decompose some parts of object, but also, there was few "glitches" like when he decompose human body, it is much more harder that decomposing uniform object.
zwabbit
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zwabbit »

Dreyakis seems to be, away, for a bit. Would anyone object if I dropped in a rough translation of the first (very short) section chapter 3?
SXIII
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SXIII »

TheLaG wrote:
Samael609 wrote:In fact he propably can, during the eradication of blanche he use decomposition on part of the body only but it's says that a difficult feat to do.
It was decomposition, but we are talking about Material Burst, it's different kind of magics, from what I know, Mist Dispersal can easy decompose some parts of object, but also, there was few "glitches" like when he decompose human body, it is much more harder that decomposing uniform object.
Tatsuya can only use 2 magics plus whatever he can make with his artificial calculation area. Material burst is basically a ''spell'' within his decomposition magic. What it does is decompose matter into energy (so its an advanced version of mist dispersal - which decomposes matter into atoms and ions), The reason he only targets whole objects and not parts, is because it's easier that way and there is no need to do otherwise.
joko
Astral Realm

Post by joko »

[quote="SXIII"][quote="TheLaG"][quote="Samael609"]In fact he propably can, during the eradication of blanche he use decomposition on part of the body only but it's says that a difficult feat to do.[/quote]

It was decomposition, but we are talking about Material Burst, it's different kind of magics, from what I know, Mist Dispersal can easy decompose some parts of object, but also, there was few "glitches" like when he decompose human body, it is much more harder that decomposing uniform object.[/quote]

Tatsuya can only use 2 magics plus whatever he can make with his artificial calculation area. Material burst is basically a ''spell'' within his decomposition magic. What it does is decompose matter into energy (so its an advanced version of mist dispersal - which decomposes matter into atoms and ions), The reason he only targets whole objects and not parts, is because it's easier that way and there is no need to do otherwise.[/quote]

yes, but material burst is more ADVANCE type from his decomposition magic.

it's much more difficult and when he is casting MB using Third Eye he is Vulnerable for a period of time.
Sashiko
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

Regarding the Maya having a child discussion:

Untouchable established that her body could not have children which means something is wrong regarding either the eggs or womb or both.

If the womb was intact she might have been forced to carry either of the children for Miya who had health problems of her own or vice versa.

There is also a possibility of people showing up that are genetically Maya's children created from her harvested eggs.

To zwabbit ask Iarethian the project supervisor.

By the way if you are interested in doing a short translation, no one has registered for Amelia in Wonderland and it is only about 20 pages and the Honour Student is languishing from a lack of Morisaki love.

Sashiko
abbad0n
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by abbad0n »

joko wrote: yes, but material burst is more ADVANCE type from his decomposition magic.

it's much more difficult and when he is casting MB using Third Eye he is Vulnerable for a period of time.
It's not that Tatsuya is vulnerable for a period of time. Only as long as it takes to complete MB. Once that is complete or he stops implementing it he can go back to using other variants of his magic or his Artificial Magic Calculation Area.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”