Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Names & Terminology

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

seitsuki
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Names & Terminology

Post by seitsuki »

Ooh, interesting. Quite a lot of stuff seems to have happened since my last visit. Anyway my response:

About the imperfect magic system thing: the wording may not make it very clear, but the point was the narrator was stating the system is flawed. The ones who believed in it obviously think it's fine.

Morales was probably a typo on my part. I don't really look at what I type unless a red squiggly line comes up, so...

Antinite just sounds more mineral-ly.

Previously I had seen instances when Public Morals and Disciplinary were freely intermixed, but seeing them in the same sentence is what made me try to differentiate. Jury's still out on the terms I guess.

And yeah, I pretty much stick in house or clan or whatever to try and spice up the text a bit. Don't think it's too specific.

Also: Personally I am a diehard proponent of British English, and editwars and the like notwithstanding that's what my scripts are submitted in. While the general guidelines call for American EN, I think I saw projects with specific guidelines using British EN, so I think it's somewhat blurred..
EnigmaticAxiom
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

seitsuki wrote:Ooh, interesting. Quite a lot of stuff seems to have happened since my last visit. Anyway my response:

About the imperfect magic system thing: the wording may not make it very clear, but the point was the narrator was stating the system is flawed. The ones who believed in it obviously think it's fine.

Morales was probably a typo on my part. I don't really look at what I type unless a red squiggly line comes up, so...

Antinite just sounds more mineral-ly.

Previously I had seen instances when Public Morals and Disciplinary were freely intermixed, but seeing them in the same sentence is what made me try to differentiate. Jury's still out on the terms I guess.

And yeah, I pretty much stick in house or clan or whatever to try and spice up the text a bit. Don't think it's too specific.

Also: Personally I am a diehard proponent of British English, and editwars and the like notwithstanding that's what my scripts are submitted in. While the general guidelines call for American EN, I think I saw projects with specific guidelines using British EN, so I think it's somewhat blurred..
I like American English because it's more flexible; a lot of lines in British English are acceptable in American English, but American English has other ways of saying the same thing, if that makes sense. With that said, however, I feel British English is, more often than not, a better choice with writing, since it sounds more formal and grammatically correct to me. In that sense, I can completely understand why you prefer British English.
Honestly speaking, when it comes to this series, I think it would do better with a more formal approach, since there is a lot of science based information in it. Some parts read more like an undergraduate lecture than a story.

As for House, Family, and Clan, I agree with Seitsuki. They're pretty much all the same. House and Family definitely are more synonymous with each other than Clan. If I were to say it, every group in the Ten Families or whatever it is people decide to use would be "House" or "Family," since they stress lineage. The Yotsuba would fit more under "Clan" since it's arguable that they incorporate multiple families, I suppose? The Yotsuba Clan has the Yotsuba Family, the Kurobane Family, the Shiba Family, and probably more. It's possible all of the Ten Families are like that, but only the Yotsuba are detailed enough.
Either way, I think "Ten Families" should remain as a single term (whether it is Ten Houses, Ten Families, or Those damned magicians who can kick everyone else's ass), since it is a reference to a specific group, like the Hundreds and the Elements.

Also, I have a question, though I'm not sure if this is the place for it? Is there any standard guideline for contractions (isn't, aren't, won't...) in the texts? I feel they belong only in 'spoken words' or 'thoughts,' and not in narration, since the narration is more of a story-telling action than a character action. I don't believe I've seen them much in the translations so far, but was wondering if anyone here had any specific thoughts/preferences on it.
MiY4Gi
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by MiY4Gi »

EnigmaticAxiom wrote:Also, I have a question, though I'm not sure if this is the place for it? Is there any standard guideline for contractions (isn't, aren't, won't...) in the texts? I feel they belong only in 'spoken words' or 'thoughts,' and not in narration, since the narration is more of a story-telling action than a character action. I don't believe I've seen them much in the translations so far, but was wondering if anyone here had any specific thoughts/preferences on it.
Doesn't that depend on the context? I mean, generally when people speak they use the contracted words, but occasionally you'd even see people use the extended version for emphasis. For example "Don't mess with me" and "Do not mess with me" have slightly different meanings, in that emphasis is placed on "mess" in the first sentence, and on "not" in the second sentence. This means that, depending on the meaning of the sentence, the usage of contractions in certain situations is actually inappropriate, while the extended versions are sometimes required.
EnigmaticAxiom
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

MiY4Gi wrote:
EnigmaticAxiom wrote:Also, I have a question, though I'm not sure if this is the place for it? Is there any standard guideline for contractions (isn't, aren't, won't...) in the texts? I feel they belong only in 'spoken words' or 'thoughts,' and not in narration, since the narration is more of a story-telling action than a character action. I don't believe I've seen them much in the translations so far, but was wondering if anyone here had any specific thoughts/preferences on it.
Doesn't that depend on the context? I mean, generally when people speak they use the contracted words, but occasionally you'd even see people use the extended version for emphasis. For example "Don't mess with me" and "Do not mess with me" have slightly different meanings, in that emphasis is placed on "mess" in the first sentence, and on "not" in the second sentence. This means that, depending on the meaning of the sentence, the usage of contractions in certain situations is actually inappropriate, while the extended versions are sometimes required.
It's fine with conversation, it is the narration I was more curious about. As for conversation, I tend to prefer them more, since most people speak more casually. I see Tatsuya and Miyuki as people who do not use them. Miyuki is a well-bred lady (Mayumi is as well, but she's a really casual person around the two), and Tatsuya just seems like a fairly stiff individual. Well, whatever, it's not that big a deal. I was just curious in general. I guess I'll stop here, since it doesn't seem too topic relevant.
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

AHA! So the author wasn't just trolling us for fun and profit! I think I have discovered the difference between 魔工師 and 魔工技師 at last!

Essentially, based on the passage on Volume 3 Page 23, the text makes a clear distinction between 魔工師 and 魔法工學技師 (which is pretty much 魔工技師). In a word, the latter category are not called 魔工師 because 魔法工學技師 cannot use magic.

My brain currently reads the distinction as thus. 魔工師 (which I will refer to as Magic Artificer) is a profession that involves the tinkering with and maintenance of CADs and related equipment. This is very similar to how Tatsuya was adjusting Miyuki's CAD to fit her specifications perfectly.

On the other hand, the Chinese translation refers to 魔法工學技師 (which I will now refer to as Magic Researcher) as those who cannot use magic, and thus are referred to separately from 魔工師. I assume that this profession belongs to people that research the theoretical uses of magic based on the results that actual Magicians have developed. Or, given the knowledge I am privy to, they are individuals who create and design magics, but are not competent or skilled enough in magic to actually use it themselves. Those who've read Volume 4 will get my drift.

EDIT: And before I forget, can someone translate the name "十三束" into English? Unless it's a pretty well know/famous, I generally have a hard time conjugating Japanese kanji into their English counterparts. It is a fairly minor detail to be sure, but still...

EDIT2: Belay that order. Found a Japanese to Romanji converter.
No angel ever descended from the heavens with our sound and fury.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
EnigmaticAxiom
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

Dreyakis wrote:AHA! So the author wasn't just trolling us for fun and profit! I think I have discovered the difference between 魔工師 and 魔工技師 at last!

Essentially, based on the passage on Volume 3 Page 23, the text makes a clear distinction between 魔工師 and 魔法工學技師 (which is pretty much 魔工技師). In a word, the latter category are not called 魔工師 because 魔法工學技師 cannot use magic.

My brain currently reads the distinction as thus. 魔工師 (which I will refer to as Magic Artificer) is a profession that involves the tinkering with and maintenance of CADs and related equipment. This is very similar to how Tatsuya was adjusting Miyuki's CAD to fit her specifications perfectly.

On the other hand, the Chinese translation refers to 魔法工學技師 (which I will now refer to as Magic Researcher) as those who cannot use magic, and thus are referred to separately from 魔工師. I assume that this profession belongs to people that research the theoretical uses of magic based on the results that actual Magicians have developed. Or, given the knowledge I am privy to, they are individuals who create and design magics, but are not competent or skilled enough in magic to actually use it themselves. Those who've read Volume 4 will get my drift.

EDIT: And before I forget, can someone translate the name "十三束" into English? Unless it's a pretty well know/famous, I generally have a hard time conjugating Japanese kanji into their English counterparts. It is a fairly minor detail to be sure, but still...

EDIT2: Belay that order. Found a Japanese to Romanji converter.
I had trouble with that name when I saw it. I tend to use wiktionary.org and look up the various pronunciations of the individual characters. More often than not, they follow Chinese pronunciations, I think? I'm not sure, but would that be Tomisoku?
Also, it's good to know the difference between an artificer and researcher or whatever you choose to use. I suppose looking on the Yuutousei manga, it makes a bit more sense now, since Tatsuya comments about it somewhat when buying the hair ornament for Miyuki (though I'm not sure Yuutousei is actually considered canon). I was wondering about all that crap as well when it was brought up before :(
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

十三束 is Tomitsuka.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%AD%94% ... 9%E7%94%9F

How to use without knowing JP:

Basically, just search for the kanji, and beside it should be bracketed hiragana (swiggly lines). In this case, the entry is "十三束 鋼(とみつか はがね)". 十三束 = とみつか, rather obvious.

Just copy paste the hiragana onto google translate to get the reading (Turn on phonetic reading).

Disclaimer: Only works for named characters.
EnigmaticAxiom
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

florza wrote:十三束 is Tomitsuka.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%AD%94% ... 9%E7%94%9F

How to use without knowing JP:

Basically, just search for the kanji, and beside it should be bracketed hiragana (swiggly lines). In this case, the entry is "十三束 鋼(とみつか はがね)". 十三束 = とみつか, rather obvious.

Just copy paste the hiragana onto google translate to get the reading (Turn on phonetic reading).

Disclaimer: Only works for named characters.
The name was actually written in hiragana afterward? I know that was the case for major characters, but I didn't notice it with that one. Also, when I copy/paste 十三束 into google translate, it gives the phonetic reading at "Ju san taba," which is why I did it the annoying way as described above!
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

The name should have had the correct pronunciation written above it (furigana) the first time it appeared in hiragana.
EnigmaticAxiom
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

florza wrote:The name should have had the correct pronunciation written above it (furigana) the first time it appeared in hiragana.
Ah, you're right. I think the reason I had an issue with it is because the first time I read it was in the web novel. I completely forgot the actual romaji would be written in the light novel, so I never bothered to look it up. Well, using wiktionary, I was close, so meh! I'll defend myself with a pointless excuse. Well, either way, it's a fairly pointless issue, since Dreyakis managed to figure it out via a separate manner, and you answered the question properly.
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

In chapter 3 and character page, it was "Nakajyou Azusa", but in chapter 5, it was "Nakajou Azusa". Which one is correct?

I believe it's Nakajou though.
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

They are the same in JP, but usually people go with Jou instead of Jyou.
EnigmaticAxiom
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

Regarding Volume 3, Chapter 2
Page 125, when they're talking about tea, I believe it is Muscatel (マスカテル) rather than Musk Red Tea. I'm not sure if Musk (Aromatic) Red Tea exists. Either way, it sounds raunchy.
Page 139, when Ushiyama and Tatsuya are speaking, Ushiyama refers to Tatsuya as Mister (ミスタ) rather than sir.

Page 155, you wrote that Miyuki changed from red to green to pale. I believe that should be red to blue to pale. This was something I noticed in the second volume as well. The bracelets you wrote as red and green, though the kanji was 青, which means blue. Looking into it, though, I found that 青 encompassed both blue and green until 緑 was introduced to provide more distinction between the two. For volume 2, it's not a big issue, but in this instance, I believe "blue" is better. A person can be "green with envy," but in all technicality, a person can only appear red (Rubor), white (Pallor), blue (Cyanosis), or yellow (Jaundice). I guess black would be included (Necrosis).

Military Stuff
Page 119-123
I believe Colonel should be Major, though this is something I am unsure of. 少佐 (Shousa) indicates a rank of Lieutenant Colonel (Navy) or Major (Army). I believe their division is attached to the Army rather than the Military, but I'm not sure, so that's subject to debate.
I also believe Special Lieutenant should be changed to Special Officer. 特尉 (Tokui) consists of 特 (Special, Unique), and 尉 (Officer). I always thought he had a specific rank assigned to his status since I used machine translations, but someone pointed out on either jcafe or animesuki forums that it was a more correct interpretation.

That's all I could find from reading through your translation. That's my two cents, though I'm probably stretching it thin :P
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

Officers in the Army start at the rank of Lieutenant. Anything above Lieutenant (Captain and onwards) have specific kanji names, it's not a big problem, shoui = second lieutenant, tokujou could very well be special lieutenant.

Shousa doesn't mean Lieutenant Colonel at all. It's the Lieutenant Commander for the Navy which is equivalent to Major in the Army.

Lieutenant Colonel is 1 rank above that, for Navy it's the Commander.
EnigmaticAxiom
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

florza wrote:Officers in the Army start at the rank of Lieutenant. Anything above Lieutenant (Captain and onwards) have specific kanji names, it's not a big problem, shoui = second lieutenant, tokujou could very well be special lieutenant.

Shousa doesn't mean Lieutenant Colonel at all. It's the Lieutenant Commander for the Navy which is equivalent to Major in the Army.

Lieutenant Colonel is 1 rank above that, for Navy it's the Commander.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I did some brief research since I wasn't sure, but I didn't go much further than superficial knowledge. Also, Colonel was my mistake in typing. I did have Commander when I typed it out before but used Colonel when posting. I suppose my questions were over a moot point.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”