Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Names & Terminology

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Names & Terminology

Post by zzhk »

Actually, 青 could mean blue, green, black or even white depending on context (not to mention a whole bunch of other meanings unrelated to color).

If used to describe someone's face, it usually means turning pale. Unless bruises are involved.
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

EnigmaticAxiom wrote:Regarding Volume 3, Chapter 2
Page 125, when they're talking about tea, I believe it is Muscatel (マスカテル) rather than Musk Red Tea. I'm not sure if Musk (Aromatic) Red Tea exists. Either way, it sounds raunchy.
Page 139, when Ushiyama and Tatsuya are speaking, Ushiyama refers to Tatsuya as Mister (ミスタ) rather than sir.

Page 155, you wrote that Miyuki changed from red to green to pale. I believe that should be red to blue to pale. This was something I noticed in the second volume as well. The bracelets you wrote as red and green, though the kanji was 青, which means blue. Looking into it, though, I found that 青 encompassed both blue and green until 緑 was introduced to provide more distinction between the two. For volume 2, it's not a big issue, but in this instance, I believe "blue" is better. A person can be "green with envy," but in all technicality, a person can only appear red (Rubor), white (Pallor), blue (Cyanosis), or yellow (Jaundice). I guess black would be included (Necrosis).

Military Stuff
Page 119-123
I believe Colonel should be Major, though this is something I am unsure of. 少佐 (Shousa) indicates a rank of Lieutenant Colonel (Navy) or Major (Army). I believe their division is attached to the Army rather than the Military, but I'm not sure, so that's subject to debate.
I also believe Special Lieutenant should be changed to Special Officer. 特尉 (Tokui) consists of 特 (Special, Unique), and 尉 (Officer). I always thought he had a specific rank assigned to his status since I used machine translations, but someone pointed out on either jcafe or animesuki forums that it was a more correct interpretation.

That's all I could find from reading through your translation. That's my two cents, though I'm probably stretching it thin :P
I always thought that musk red tea sounded weird, but working off the Chinese translations, I was at a loss as to what the text was referring to. Thanks for the catch.

The "Mister" vs. "Sir" is as you pointed out, though I must say it sounds decidedly odd from an English perspective. I know that Tatsuya's alias is Mr. Silver and all that, but having Ushiyama call out to him like that tastes funny in my mouth.

I acknowledge that 緑 is used exclusively for green, but I do recall that 青 can mean either blue or green in Japanese. However, that is quite a long time ago, so I may very well be mistaken. "Turning green" can be referred to dizziness while "turning blue" is as you said in Cyanosis through lack of oxygen. This is a difficult call for either.
No angel ever descended from the heavens with our sound and fury.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
EnigmaticAxiom
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

I acknowledge that 緑 is used exclusively for green, but I do recall that 青 can mean either blue or green in Japanese. However, that is quite a long time ago, so I may very well be mistaken. "Turning green" can be referred to dizziness while "turning blue" is as you said in Cyanosis through lack of oxygen. This is a difficult call for either.[/quote]
I completely forgot about "Turning Green" indicating someone becoming ill in a sense. I hate to harp on this, but I still feel it might be better to translate it as blue; the question I have in particular is whether or not the author uses 青 to encompass blue and green or uses it only to refer to blue. He has used 緑 to indicate green specifically under two instances I could do a quick ctrl+F for, and that is in reference to the color of the school blazer (he does this twice) and once to describe the color of the sea in web arc 4 when the family is going to a vacation island.

To be honest, I don't know why this bothers me so much. It's such a minor thing and many languages do use blue to encompass green. I think it might be a mixture of how much I enjoy this series, the minimal amount of Japanese I know, and the fact that I am finally able to set aside the time to properly learn kanji; because of those last two points, I am using your translations to help me learn, and because of the first point, my focus is maintained (or perhaps fixated). I'll let this be the last I speak of this whole issue with the color ><;
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

Dreyakis wrote:I acknowledge that 緑 is used exclusively for green, but I do recall that 青 can mean either blue or green in Japanese. However, that is quite a long time ago, so I may very well be mistaken. "Turning green" can be referred to dizziness while "turning blue" is as you said in Cyanosis through lack of oxygen. This is a difficult call for either.
EnigmaticAxiom wrote:I completely forgot about "Turning Green" indicating someone becoming ill in a sense. I hate to harp on this, but I still feel it might be better to translate it as blue; the question I have in particular is whether or not the author uses 青 to encompass blue and green or uses it only to refer to blue. He has used 緑 to indicate green specifically under two instances I could do a quick ctrl+F for, and that is in reference to the color of the school blazer (he does this twice) and once to describe the color of the sea in web arc 4 when the family is going to a vacation island.

To be honest, I don't know why this bothers me so much. It's such a minor thing and many languages do use blue to encompass green. I think it might be a mixture of how much I enjoy this series, the minimal amount of Japanese I know, and the fact that I am finally able to set aside the time to properly learn kanji; because of those last two points, I am using your translations to help me learn, and because of the first point, my focus is maintained (or perhaps fixated). I'll let this be the last I speak of this whole issue with the color ><;
It doesn't help that their blazer are this goddamn weird turquoise color that's mostly green. I'll take your suggestion into consideration.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Dreyakis wrote:It doesn't help that their blazer are this goddamn weird turquoise color that's mostly green. I'll take your suggestion into consideration.
I would have picked 'Teal' from the cover of volume 2 (simply because it's the same ugly shade of cyan that the high-school I went to picked as their primary colour...), but it seems that it changes almost every volume. :( I'm guessing people aren't calibrating their scanners properly or something.

But back on (?) topic, it might be necessary to have to translate this a bit less literally since if you refer to 'green' english speakers will almost always assume jealously/illness and blue some sort of 'stubbornness' ("talking until we're blue in the face", aka, trying to persuade someone until you were out of breath, but they didn't change their mind). Does the phrase "turning blue/green" have any specific meaning in Japanese? (Which reminds me I've got a book around here that's about i18n/l12n of websites, and it's got a chapter on colours and patterns and similar and their associated meanings and implications; might be worth data-mining for a forum post...)
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by florza »

EnigmaticAxiom wrote: Military Stuff
Page 119-123
I believe Colonel should be Major, though this is something I am unsure of. 少佐 (Shousa) indicates a rank of Lieutenant Colonel (Navy) or Major (Army). I believe their division is attached to the Army rather than the Military, but I'm not sure, so that's subject to debate.
I also believe Special Lieutenant should be changed to Special Officer. 特尉 (Tokui) consists of 特 (Special, Unique), and 尉 (Officer). I always thought he had a specific rank assigned to his status since I used machine translations, but someone pointed out on either jcafe or animesuki forums that it was a more correct interpretation.

That's all I could find from reading through your translation. That's my two cents, though I'm probably stretching it thin :P
Eh, was the Shousa thing ever fixed, btw? You made it sound as if it was translated as Colonel (Major is correct).
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

florza wrote:
EnigmaticAxiom wrote: Military Stuff
Page 119-123

Eh, was the Shousa thing ever fixed, btw? You made it sound as if it was translated as Colonel (Major is correct).
Chapter 2 has been updated with Major instead of Colonel.

EnigmaticAxiom
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

I completely forgot to mention it before (as for why it popped into my head, just now, I'm not sure), but Trident --> Third Eye; two separate machines. It'll pop up again later in volumes 6/7. Probably not that big an issue to know about right here and now.
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

EnigmaticAxiom wrote:I completely forgot to mention it before (as for why it popped into my head, just now, I'm not sure), but Trident --> Third Eye; two separate machines. It'll pop up again later in volumes 6/7. Probably not that big an issue to know about right here and now.
Dagnabit, I knew that would come back to bite me. I knew the moment I put that down that I was doing something wrong, but couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Fixing now.

EDIT: Never mind, you got that for me already. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though.

Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

Double post...

I need assistance with a surname: 泷川. My brain tells me Ryukawa based on my grasp of Kanji and Chinese pronunciation, Google translate gives me nothing, and a cursory search reveals something entirely different. Help please! :D

EnigmaticAxiom
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

Dreyakis wrote:Double post...

I need assistance with a surname: 泷川. My brain tells me Ryukawa based on my grasp of Kanji and Chinese pronunciation, Google translate gives me nothing, and a cursory search reveals something entirely different. Help please! :D
If that is the name on page 275, the first kanji looks incorrect. Either way, the furigana for the full name is Takigawa (滝川) Kazumi (和美). If that isn't correct, them I'm lost. I couldn't find the kanji for river elsewhere from a cursory glance or from a image --> text search.
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by florza »

EnigmaticAxiom wrote:
Dreyakis wrote:Double post...

If that is the name on page 275, the first kanji looks incorrect. Either way, the furigana for the full name is Takigawa (滝川) Kazumi (和美). If that isn't correct, them I'm lost. I couldn't find the kanji for river elsewhere from a cursory glance or from a image --> text search.
Takigawa is correct. Dreyakis is using Chinese fan translations in simplified Chinese, hence 滝川 is converted to 泷川, since 滝 is traditional.
EnigmaticAxiom
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

Suzune's nickname is Rin-chan in the JP version, and I believe you used it in the previous chapters, so I switched it from Su-chan to Rin-chan
Also, 10 Clan names, Niki --> Futatsugi, Gorin --> Itsuwa, Kushima --> Kudou. I changed those as well. The only ones I can see as important from those would be Itsuwa (Itsuwa Mio, the Apostle of Japan) and Kudou (Kudou Retsu, who will be introduced later in this novel).
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

EnigmaticAxiom wrote:Suzune's nickname is Rin-chan in the JP version, and I believe you used it in the previous chapters, so I switched it from Su-chan to Rin-chan
Also, 10 Clan names, Niki --> Futatsugi, Gorin --> Itsuwa, Kushima --> Kudou. I changed those as well. The only ones I can see as important from those would be Itsuwa (Itsuwa Mio, the Apostle of Japan) and Kudou (Kudou Retsu, who will be introduced later in this novel).
Thanks for that. I realized I messed up on Suzune's nickname the moment I read your comment.

Also, thanks for clarifying the names for the Ten Master Clans. I can't believe I didn't synchronize Kushima and Kudou. :/

Always great to have awesome support checking over my work, thanks a lot.

EDIT: I need some assistance with Tatsuya's alias in the Independent Magic-Equipped Battalion: 大黑龍也. I know his name is still Tatsuya, it's the surname that's giving me fits.

MiY4Gi
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by MiY4Gi »

"Magic is a technique that involves changing phenomena and is not limited by conservation of energy. However, the object being rewritten remains bound by the law of conservation of energy. For example, if you apply Speed Magic to an object without using magic to maintain its condition, the accelerated object will turn cold; if you cast Heat Magic on a speeding object without using magic to maintain its velocity, then the target object will slow down. Generally, magic strives to avoid changing unrelated aspects by adding in abilities to maintain the status quo, so there's rarely an opportunity to observe this in action.

The laws of physics are very difficult to circumvent and, even when altered by illogical forces like magic, will attempt to revert back to a logical outcome. Thus, magic that does not break the law of conservation of energy remains a "natural" phenomenon and from a magic perspective, this requires a low interference strength.

You should understand by now, right? The magic used to accelerate the ice particles is based on "taking the projectile motion lost from creating ice particles and forging them into potential energy" and scamming the laws of physics. While this runs counter to the law of entropy and is something that would never occur in nature, but is a more logical explanation than simply constructing ice particles, accelerating the ice particles with magic, then applying thermodynamics."
I'm finding this explanation of the laws of physics Vs laws of magic very confusing, but then, I'm not even sure if it is supposed to make sense - I mean this is story about magic after all.

From what I understand, the laws of physics still hold, but magic can be used to bypass it, and the larger the change from what physics dictates, the more magic power (greater interference strength?) is needed. Therefore the most efficient use of magic would be where you use the laws of physics to achieve part of what you're aiming to do, and then use magic to achieve the rest.

What I don't get is why when you apply speed magic to a stationary object it get's colder, while when you apply heat magic to a moving object, it slows down.

When you speed up an object, it would get warmer due to friction, especially at sonic speed. Although, it would make sense if it was the thermal energy the object that was being converted to kinetic energy, so that it cools down when it speeds up.

And then, if you apply heat to a moving object, why would it slow down? Or is the "Heat magic" not really applying heat to the object, but simply causing the object to become hot on its own? Like, is it that the kinetic energy of the object is being converted to thermal energy, so that is slows down while it heats up?

Then there's Tatsuya's "simple explanation" in the last paragraph, which makes no sense to me, using my current understanding.
The magic used to accelerate the ice particles is based on "taking the projectile motion lost from creating ice particles and forging them into potential energy" and scamming the laws of physics.
Shouldn't it read as:
The magic used to accelerate the ice particles is based on "taking the thermal energy lost from creating the ice particles and converting it into kinetic energy" and scamming the laws of physics.
Only then it would make sense. And that also "counters the law of entropy" as Tatsuya stated, since according to entropy, kinetic energy of an object can spontaneously be converted to thermal energy (through friction), but thermal energy of an object cannot spontaneously be convert to kinetic energy.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”