Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Names & Terminology

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

florza
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Names & Terminology

Post by florza »

Oh yeah you're right. Man I'm so bad at anything before year 2000.

Though when it comes to daily usage in the 21st century 金 will mean gold.
EnigmaticAxiom
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

Quite a number of new named characters in LN9 compared to the light novel just on glancing at the character info. Here's a short list for reference/curiosity

Angelina Kudou Sirius (アンシェリーナ=クドウ=シールズ)
Benjamin Canopus (ベンジャミン カノープス)
Silvia Mercury Faust/Fast (シルヴィア マーキュリ ファースト)
Michela Hongou (ミカエラ ホンゴウ)
Alfred Fomalhaut (アルフレッド フォーマルハウト)
Charles Saliben (チャールズ サリベン)
Clair (クレア)
Rachel (レイチェル)

I can only think of who three of them are (Lina, Canpous, and Fomalhaut) from the web novel. Wonder who the others are.
thelazyguy
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelazyguy »

Rava wrote:Dragging thelazyguy's post from the General thread...
thelazyguy wrote:Well, if we go according to the terminology page, then it's as simple as:
Change all instances of "Outer-Systematic Magic" to "Non-Systematic Magic."

Though to be honest, I think:
系統外魔法 should be "Extra-Systematic Magic" instead of "Non-Systematic Magic."
無系統魔法 should be "Non-Systematic Magic" instead of "External Systematic Magic."

But that would be... a lot of editing.
Are people OK with the Guidelines page being modified to this for those two magic types?

Also, Tatsuya's fake name on the Guidelines page says "Strategic-Class Magician Special Lieutenant Ooguro Ryuuya" and not what EnigmaticAxiom just clarified as "Ogura Ryuuya." Assuming it's OK to modify that as well?
Bumping it up!
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

Well, since no one cared enough to respond, I changed the Guidelines page and started going through from the beginning.

It's going to take a while though...
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Probably a silly question with an obvious answer, but is there any reason we're translating the 編 in the titles as "chapter"? (I thought "chapter" was 章.) Isn't it literally "volume" or the clunkier "compilation" if you didn't want to say "Volume 1: Enrollment Volume (I)"?

Though now I think it about it, they sound nicer without a 'chapter' or 'volume' tagged on the end of the title name. I don't think even the English language likes stating the obvious that much. :?
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
Sashiko
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

This is a request for help:

These particular Kanji in Untouchable appear to refer to Chinese things:

泉州-apparently a place in china

大漢- either a region in china or a fairly recognizable made up name for a splinter nation that arose during the pre MKR 20 years of wars worldwide period. Similar to an author using Lone Star Kingdom or something like that for a made up nation created by a future civil war in a science fiction novel.

対馬-no idea

If anybody has any more information about these particular words than I do could you please share it with me they seem to be significant to the story

Sashiko
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

泉州 - Quanzhou, a city in Fujian Province of China.

大漢 - Literally "Great Han." Historically, Chinese dynasties referred to themselves as Great XX where XX is the dynastic name. For example, the Han and Tang dynasties would refer to themselves as "Great Han" and "Great Tang" respectively. For translation purposes, consider "Han Kingdom/State/Nation."

As a side note, 大漢 also means a big burly man, but I'm sure that's not what you're looking for.

対馬 - A Japanese island: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsushima_Island
Drowzycow
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Drowzycow »

Tsushima was the location from where the Scorched Halloween Incident attack was launched. In terms of the MnKR verse the revelant passage describing Tsushima's past from V7c13;

"Right now, he had arrived at Tsushima Base.

Thirty five years ago, during the Third World War, which was the tumultuous period where countless wars broke out over a 20 year period, this island was attacked by the Great Asian Alliance's autonomous regional forces from Korea and 70% of the residents were massacred.

The reason was that they didn't want to provide any reason to antagonize their neighbors, leading to a situation where an island on the national border was bereft of even the minimal garrison troops.

The Korean Army also had their reasons. Simply put, that was just how those times were.

Regardless, 70% of the residents were lost, the 20% that fled incurred injuries both severe and light, with the remaining 10% of the residents captured. The simple fact of that matter was that the island had been captured.

After reclaiming Tsushima, the Japanese government converted this island into a fortress.

This was a front line base with large scale military harbors and solid walls, complete with cutting edge anti-aircraft and anti-ship weaponry.

This was Tsushima Base."

tl:dr? Previously occupied by the Great Asian Alliance, but reclaimed by Japan.
Rockmosis
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rockmosis »

Was wondering about something,
Is it Stars or STARS for the USNA team?
Should Parasite always be capitalized?
And should Strategic Magic and Strategic Class Magician have the first letter capitalized like here, or should it be normal?
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

Rockmosis wrote:Was wondering about something,
Is it Stars or STARS for the USNA team?
It's probably Stars. It's not spelled out in English like "USNA" is, so the letters don't stand for anything, but the word is spelled out in a quote, so it's clearly a name.
Rockmosis wrote: Should Parasite always be capitalized?
And should Strategic Magic and Strategic Class Magician have the first letter capitalized like here, or should it be normal?
Yes. Names and titles should always be capitalized in English, and unless this has been a long standing 11+ volume translator error, those are all names and titles given to specific semi-unique in-universe things, complete with a separate explanation.
Rockmosis
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rockmosis »

Another quick question, is Yotsuba Genzou's ability Grim Reaper or Reaper's Blade? It could just be different translators, but is there an agreed upon term?
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

Be advised that I will be going through the Terminology page and organizing terms into categories. Please do not remove (placeholders) as I will be replacing them with kanji when I can find them.
No angel ever descended from the heavens with our sound and fury.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

Double post!

Could I get this term in Japanese: 遠當. I am considering something in English, but would like to see if something is pithier.

Contextually speaking, this appears to the specific counter Tatsuya devised to attack the vampire's real body. The name appeared in Volume 10 Chapter 9, but I had assumed this to be a typo since it made no sense in context. However, in Volume 11 Chapter 14, Tatsuya specifically names this as something he uses against the USNA force.
No angel ever descended from the heavens with our sound and fury.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
Sashiko
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

I don't have either volume with me but could it be Long Range Target Lock. The second kanji seems to be accept or undertake so maybe Tatsuya identifying the idea signature and locking onto it the way a fighter pilot would.

Sashiko
Sashiko
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

Uh, excuse me this topic
Spoiler! :
Gravity Control-Type Magic thermonuclear fusion reactor
has come up several times in the series and is discussed with great detail many times in the final third of volume 12 so, the terminology related to it should probably be added to the Project Specific Terminology page.

Sashiko

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”