Mahouka: TLC Thread

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka: TLC Thread

Post by larethian »

After looking up high and low, I still can't find anything on Psyon and Psycheon.
Anyway, after studying the etymology in greater detail brings me to the following conclusions, Satou is trying to differentiate between Psy/Psi and Psyche, using the -on as a suffix. Etymology-wise, Psi refers more to the mind while Psyche refers more to the spirit. The really weird thing is how he chooses to use Pushion as the pronunciation of Psycheon. How am I supposed to guess the word is related to Psyche with that kind of pronunciation? :lol:

His tweet on this is only 2 months ago however, so I'm not sure whether you guys want to switch it to match Satou's Engrish after getting used to the terms for so long. Psion and Psyon to me are the same thing. A search on the net indicates Psi as the more frequently used prefix, but Satou spells it as Psyon...... As for Psycheon, well, I don't know, it's weird but not unacceptable I supposed. Currently, knowing how fanatic I am to the author's intent even if they sound wrong, I'm in favor of the change. Though we should have a footnote for each volume when Psycheon first appears to remind people that it's pronounced as Pushion. Of course, it might just be me. :)

For the record, I chose Pushion originally because I couldn't find the right English word and it seems like a fictional term (which technically speaking, it is, since Psycheon doesn't exist as a word and pronouncing it as Pushion on the author's part is kind of 'artful', as befitting of fiction). I have considered Pshion, Psyhion, Pshyon before, but they all look equally bad, so I put it as a provisional term. The main reason why I decided on having that 'u' is because in those choices, 'P' could become a silent consonant without the 'u' and I'm sure some readers will become unhappy about this 'defilement'. Can't really satisfy everybody :lol: Strangely, given the vast amount of readers, no one challenged the provisional term or could find a better word and it has thus stayed that way. I guess it goes to say that there wasn't any real English equivalent word that could be found or speculated on intelligently before the author's tweet in March (which wasn't a real English word anyway). It's kind of amusing that even the official subs inherited that or have chosen it without prior knowledge of BT translations after facing the same problem as I had :lol:

As for that aforementioned subgroup, their intent is to turn everything into 'English'. If they continue to go with "psyon" and "psion" I would love to read further comments from the viewers. As for talking to them, I don't want to waste my time with people who stoop to flames and those who are so goddamn sure they know better. On the other hand I'd always welcome a healthy debate on terminology translations and ready to be convinced by a better choice. Though I won't go so far as to turning everything into dictionary English to the point of creating confusion or changing meanings and intent entirely, since our target audience is different. It's a "to each his own" and not a "right vs wrong" thing to me, as long as we are well aware of what we are doing, and not make a quick translation choice due to sloppiness.
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

jvmunhoz wrote: Well, you tell to the guys at FFF this. There was quite a discussion about this there

http://fffansubs.org/?p=6202
That seems more like a ragefest than an actual discussion going on over there. FFF (as is any translator) is entitled to their own interpretations and perceptions. Ultimately, the only "true" presentation and vision is that of the original author. Everyone else is sifting through his or her words and trying to make the best of it.

In regards to the psion vs. psycheon, I personally lean more towards the former. Given that I am not fluent in the Japanese language, I heavily rely on translation tools to "sound out" the katakana for terms and names. Thus far, I have not found anything that truly contradicts our presentation of psion/pushion. (I will admit that the spelling for psion is open for various interpretations, but the phonetics remains consistent.) Now, though I'm uncertain regarding the authenticity of the Mahouka English website, I would consider the fact that their terminology patches our current choices to be a point in our favor.

Like larenthian, I am open to discussion regarding possibly fine tuning terminology to best convey the author's intentions, as we are all playing in his sandbox after all. That being said, the ruling on the field is psion/pushion and I simply don't see enough irrefutable evidence to merit a change otherwise.
No angel ever descended from the heavens with our sound and fury.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
superloner
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by superloner »

I would say keep it the way it is. It's what I'm used to.
Guest2
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Guest2 »

The official US Mahouka anime website also uses Psions and Pushions. I prefer it to remain as is, simply because I would feel the need to correct all my posts across several forums.
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Although the number of days had changed, the venue hadn't. First High's competition group set out on the day of the opening party at 8am as usual, the large bus and engineer van headed for hotel next to the venue.
This is a sentence of the newly translated chapter 5. I added a "the" before hotel, but I feel a little iffy about the "as usual". I think it's probably best to make 2 sentences out of it, but where to cut off? Before "at 8am", before "as usual", before "the large bus"? Or perhaps keep it as one sentence by placing some comma's. It depends on what the actual meaning is. Any thoughts?
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Furthermore his fellow second years Tomitsuka and Morisaki, as well as Mikihiko who was selected for Monolith Code, had been nabbed by their PMC and club activities senior Sawaki and were sequestered amongst the third years.
Also what does PMC stand for?
Gazing at the eight spoked gear emblem now adorning his uniform, Miyuki smiled happily.
Is spoked the correct word, here? I thought spokes were on wheels, not gears.
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

PMC probably stands for Public Moral Committee.
No angel ever descended from the heavens with our sound and fury.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.
seitsuki
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by seitsuki »

Upon further consideration I think you may have an argument. The gears should probably be pointed instead.

It all makes sense now!
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Then by what word should it be replaced? Gears have teeth, but that sounds weird. And petals was used in v12, as in "eight petal gear emblem".
Awarua
Astral Realm

Post by Awarua »

eight toothed gear, would be the correct terminology, but what ever sounds better to the reader would be best.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Well considering its appearence, what about eight"barbed" or "spiked"? Thought it might sound even weirder.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Awarua wrote:eight toothed gear, would be the correct terminology, but what ever sounds better to the reader would be best.
I checked it again, and you're right. That is indeed the correct terminology. Found a picture to:
Spoiler! :
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

Rava wrote:
nr42 wrote:I doubt the same people(namely Masaki) would have multiple nicknames for him.
Would be nice if there's a raw check on if the George in "Cardinal George" and "Jouji" are actually presented differently in the JP text then. (After all, if it was the same the whole time, it seems strange for Mikihiko to not immediately make the connection.)
I've checked the raw, it's ジョージ (George) in both case. I've edited the "Jouji" in volume 8 chapter 4.
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

Thanks Vaelis. I'll make a mental note to change that when I see it on other chapters too.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

Rava wrote:Thanks Vaelis. I'll make a mental note to change that when I see it on other chapters too.
I didn't find it in any other chapter.
I've also fixed some inconsistencies like Rozen/Rosen/Roazen/Rozin -> Rozen (problem mentioned 6 months ago).

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”