Mahouka: TLC Thread

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Sashiko
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka: TLC Thread

Post by Sashiko »

I forgot where it says it but, only three schools admit 200 students, the rest only admit 100 students .

Sashiko
crisisavatar
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

That clears that up, made that observation while reading volume 2.
Syltom
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Syltom »

Vol 12, chap 4
Mock Teleportation. That was the name Yoru used for this magic. This was a type of magic that removed an object’s inertia (including the human body), surrounded it with a cocoon of air, and created an even larger tunnel of vacuum around it to move the object through that tunnel. Since this was a magic with only four processes that utilized Weight-Type, Convergence, Convergence, and Move-Type Magic, it wasn’t a very complicated technique. Still, it had its disadvantages, such as scouting out the destination prior to forming the surrounding air currents that buffered the tunnel of vacuum. If someone had the ability to repeatedly leap into the air while using this ability, they might even be able to continuously use this ability to confuse their opponent. However, this technique was fundamentally incompatible with attacking and was more suited for fleeing.
"Convergence" is repeated twice, and one type of magic is missing instead.
Brendan Reed
Reader
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Brendan Reed »

I do not know if this has already been addressed (reading 24 pages was too much of a hassle) but here goes anyway:

As I am from Germany I am rather annoyed with the way some supposedly German words are used... This is especially true for the coffee shop Tats & the others frequent.
Firstly there is this:
- Volume 6: "the Anneliese Cafe." & "(Anneliese meant "slight wind" in German (...))"

While Anneliese is a German name, it certainly does not mean anything like "slight wind" (just to be safe I even checked up on it...).
As for the next two mentions of the coffee shop we get closer to the correct German wording for 'slight wind' but there is still a mistake:
- Volume 9:" In front of the Cafe "Eine Breeze"."
- Volume 13: "coffee shop, ‘Eine Breeze’"

Correct would be Eine Briese, as it is called in Volume 12:
- Volume 12: " coffee shop ‘Eine Brise”"

Even though this spelling is correct there still remains an issue with the real world usage of the term "Eine Briese" as name for a cafe. The Indefinite Article 'eine' would normally not be used in such a name but instead it would probably be something like cafe "Brise". (There is likely no need to remove the 'eine' as at least a bit of artistic freedom should remain...)

Besides this one cafe, there is another one mentioned by name:
- Volume 6: the "Rotterbart". & Cafe Rothbart.

Both spellings / wordings are wrong, as they are again suppose to be German...
Correct would be either something like cafe "roter Bart" or cafe "Rotbart".
In this case 'Rotbart' would be the more likely version in regard to the real world.

I am not sure if i missed other supposedly German words but for now this should do...

EDIT: Forgot to ask whether I should change it or leave it for someone else to do...
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

V4 chapter 8: mentions Jouji a few times, while referring to George. Since it has been locked for people without privileges I can't change it personally.
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

Syltom wrote:Vol 12, chap 4
Mock Teleportation. That was the name Yoru used for this magic. This was a type of magic that removed an object’s inertia (including the human body), surrounded it with a cocoon of air, and created an even larger tunnel of vacuum around it to move the object through that tunnel. Since this was a magic with only four processes that utilized Weight-Type, Convergence, Convergence, and Move-Type Magic, it wasn’t a very complicated technique. Still, it had its disadvantages, such as scouting out the destination prior to forming the surrounding air currents that buffered the tunnel of vacuum. If someone had the ability to repeatedly leap into the air while using this ability, they might even be able to continuously use this ability to confuse their opponent. However, this technique was fundamentally incompatible with attacking and was more suited for fleeing.
"Convergence" is repeated twice, and one type of magic is missing instead.
It's talking about 4 processes, not 4 different types of magic. 1st Convergence for the wind cocoon and 2nd Convergence for the wind tunnel is what it's implying.
Brendan Reed wrote:I do not know if this has already been addressed (reading 24 pages was too much of a hassle) but here goes anyway:

As I am from Germany I am rather annoyed with the way some supposedly German words are used... This is especially true for the coffee shop Tats & the others frequent.
Firstly there is this:
- Volume 6: "the Anneliese Cafe." & "(Anneliese meant "slight wind" in German (...))"

While Anneliese is a German name, it certainly does not mean anything like "slight wind" (just to be safe I even checked up on it...).
As for the next two mentions of the coffee shop we get closer to the correct German wording for 'slight wind' but there is still a mistake:
- Volume 9:" In front of the Cafe "Eine Breeze"."
- Volume 13: "coffee shop, ‘Eine Breeze’"

Correct would be Eine Briese, as it is called in Volume 12:
- Volume 12: " coffee shop ‘Eine Brise”"

Even though this spelling is correct there still remains an issue with the real world usage of the term "Eine Briese" as name for a cafe. The Indefinite Article 'eine' would normally not be used in such a name but instead it would probably be something like cafe "Brise". (There is likely no need to remove the 'eine' as at least a bit of artistic freedom should remain...)

Besides this one cafe, there is another one mentioned by name:
- Volume 6: the "Rotterbart". & Cafe Rothbart.

Both spellings / wordings are wrong, as they are again suppose to be German...
Correct would be either something like cafe "roter Bart" or cafe "Rotbart".
In this case 'Rotbart' would be the more likely version in regard to the real world.

I am not sure if i missed other supposedly German words but for now this should do...

EDIT: Forgot to ask whether I should change it or leave it for someone else to do...
That sounds like a basic error, and it's probably accurate to say that a lot of the people who are eyeing the text for English typos can't really do it for German. So if you know the German is wrong and how it should be used/spelled, you should change it. You probably want a raw check on that Rotterbart/Rothbart one though for the phonetics.
nr42 wrote:V4 chapter 8: mentions Jouji a few times, while referring to George. Since it has been locked for people without privileges I can't change it personally.
It's locked to anon editing. Just create an account so you're a registered user. Although honestly, it's entirely possible that "George" only applies with "Cardinal" and not on its own, since his actual name does have Jouji.
crisisavatar
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

Sashiko is anyone helping you this time around ? Doing an entire volume solo seems rough :?
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Rava wrote:
nr42 wrote:V4 chapter 8: mentions Jouji a few times, while referring to George. Since it has been locked for people without privileges I can't change it personally.
It's locked to anon editing. Just create an account so you're a registered user. Although honestly, it's entirely possible that "George" only applies with "Cardinal" and not on its own, since his actual name does have Jouji.
I doubt the same people(namely Masaki) would have multiple nicknames for him.
Last edited by nr42 on Sun May 18, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

nr42 wrote:I doubt the same people(namely Masaki) would have multiple nicknames for him.
Would be nice if there's a raw check on if the George in "Cardinal George" and "Jouji" are actually presented differently in the JP text then. (After all, if it was the same the whole time, it seems strange for Mikihiko to not immediately make the connection.)
jvmunhoz
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Mushoku Tensei (無職転生)

Post by jvmunhoz »

The official translation of some terms in Mahouka has come out

http://mahouka.us/keyword/ (http://mahouka.jp/keyword/)

ALL the terms there are the same ones used here. Is it really just a coincidence? I have my doubts
In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Well it might be because large part of them used to be in english even in original ((pushion, psion, CAD,...).
jvmunhoz
Vice Commander Itsuki

Post by jvmunhoz »

As far as I know, only CAD, Bloom and Weed are in english. Both Psion and Pushion have their respective kanji writing, and there were people who didn't think psion and pushion were the right translation for them, but apparently they were wrong
In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

jvmunhoz wrote:As far as I know, only CAD, Bloom and Weed are in english. Both Psion and Pushion have their respective kanji writing, and there were people who didn't think psion and pushion were the right translation for them, but apparently they were wrong
Psion and Pushion are katakana readings of Thought Particles and Spirit Particles respectively in the original text. And I do recall just the kana being used many times.
jvmunhoz
Vice Commander Itsuki

Post by jvmunhoz »

larethian wrote:
jvmunhoz wrote:As far as I know, only CAD, Bloom and Weed are in english. Both Psion and Pushion have their respective kanji writing, and there were people who didn't think psion and pushion were the right translation for them, but apparently they were wrong
Psion and Pushion are katakana readings of Thought Particles and Spirit Particles respectively in the original text. And I do recall just the kana being used many times.
Well, you tell to the guys at FFF this. There was quite a discussion about this there

http://fffansubs.org/?p=6202
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

After doing some research, it seems like a tweet from the author in March this year mentioned that Saion and Pushion are Psyons and Psycheons respectively and are technical jargon. Though I can't for heavens find these terms anywhere...... Anyway, you guys can decide what you want to do with them. I seriously don't have time to do anything these days >_<

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”