Mahouka: TLC Thread

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka: TLC Thread

Post by nr42 »

You didn't find it, because I already went through them with ctrl+f.

And I wanted to say: "Maybe someone should update the Project Specific Terminology and Guidelines", but I saw you already did, so thanks Vaelis.
popocatepetl
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by popocatepetl »

larethian wrote:After looking up high and low, I still can't find anything on Psyon and Psycheon.
Anyway, after studying the etymology in greater detail brings me to the following conclusions, Satou is trying to differentiate between Psy/Psi and Psyche, using the -on as a suffix. Etymology-wise, Psi refers more to the mind while Psyche refers more to the spirit. The really weird thing is how he chooses to use Pushion as the pronunciation of Psycheon. How am I supposed to guess the word is related to Psyche with that kind of pronunciation? :lol:

His tweet on this is only 2 months ago however, so I'm not sure whether you guys want to switch it to match Satou's Engrish after getting used to the terms for so long. Psion and Psyon to me are the same thing. A search on the net indicates Psi as the more frequently used prefix, but Satou spells it as Psyon...... As for Psycheon, well, I don't know, it's weird but not unacceptable I supposed. Currently, knowing how fanatic I am to the author's intent even if they sound wrong, I'm in favor of the change. Though we should have a footnote for each volume when Psycheon first appears to remind people that it's pronounced as Pushion. Of course, it might just be me. :)

For the record, I chose Pushion originally because I couldn't find the right English word and it seems like a fictional term (which technically speaking, it is, since Psycheon doesn't exist as a word and pronouncing it as Pushion on the author's part is kind of 'artful', as befitting of fiction). I have considered Pshion, Psyhion, Pshyon before, but they all look equally bad, so I put it as a provisional term. The main reason why I decided on having that 'u' is because in those choices, 'P' could become a silent consonant without the 'u' and I'm sure some readers will become unhappy about this 'defilement'. Can't really satisfy everybody :lol: Strangely, given the vast amount of readers, no one challenged the provisional term or could find a better word and it has thus stayed that way. I guess it goes to say that there wasn't any real English equivalent word that could be found or speculated on intelligently before the author's tweet in March (which wasn't a real English word anyway). It's kind of amusing that even the official subs inherited that or have chosen it without prior knowledge of BT translations after facing the same problem as I had :lol:

As for that aforementioned subgroup, their intent is to turn everything into 'English'. If they continue to go with "psyon" and "psion" I would love to read further comments from the viewers. As for talking to them, I don't want to waste my time with people who stoop to flames and those who are so goddamn sure they know better. On the other hand I'd always welcome a healthy debate on terminology translations and ready to be convinced by a better choice. Though I won't go so far as to turning everything into dictionary English to the point of creating confusion or changing meanings and intent entirely, since our target audience is different. It's a "to each his own" and not a "right vs wrong" thing to me, as long as we are well aware of what we are doing, and not make a quick translation choice due to sloppiness.
As for the term of "Pushion vs Psycheon", as a reader, I would prefer it to remain the same since it has been used for such a long time. Just in case any readers are curious, I think Larethian's post should be in the glossary page of the wiki to explain the origin of the word pushion better.
If only the finest birds in the forest dared sing, how quiet the forest would be.
-William W. Purkey
Detalz
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Detalz »

Just thought I'd leave a note that I TLCed V13 Chapter 3, since I was reading it anyway and wanted to see how well I might fare handling this novel and thought I'd do a rundown TLC comparison first. As for the changes, it includes quite a few big ones that addresses some sentences that don't quite make sense, mistranslations and sentence restructuring for better readability. It'd be best if someone can double-check over them.
crisisavatar
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

Just a small comment to our translator, I'm not sure about others but I personally don't put too much weight on the quality of the translation. As long as the story is there I am happy to read it.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Well I of course like even averagely done translation (if it is so bad that it hurts the eyes then I will propably drop it), but the better the translation is the nicer it is. Mahouka is one of the best translated series (well I can´t say anything about it being the same as in Japanese as I haven´t read it in original, but it is deffinitely consistent at least) I especially like the vocabulary used and the style, which makes this series shine from amongs the others.
rawrrawz
Astral Realm

Post by rawrrawz »

Volume 13 Chapter 4
The limiter is part of the loyalty spell that has essentially the same effects as the ancient Celtic Magic, ‘Gesshu’.
I think the term you are looking for is 'geis'.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geis
hoshinotactive
Astral Realm

Post by hoshinotactive »

I'm not sure if this is an error by the author or by the TLers but in the infodump about nuclear fusion in Volume 7 - Yokohama Disturbance Chapter (II), you have a few sentences like:
Spoiler! :
The primary obstacle for thermonuclear power is the time created because the ionized electrons possess electric repulsion that prevents fusion chemical reactions, or simply the problem caused by the interaction of the electrons."
should be positively charged nuclei

"This should be plainly obvious without an explanation, but the electron repulsion force will be magnified the closer the objects are to one another. Objects with strong Coulombic force will increase the repulsion force as they draw closer, so contact will be avoided."
stop making me think it's about electrons. use "electrostatic repulsion"

"However, electron repulsion force can be reduced with magic.
stop making me think it's about electrons. use "electrostatic repulsion"

"This device takes into account the dangers of radiation, so we used hydrogen instead of deuterium gas. Release-Type Magic is used to ionize the hydrogen gas within the canister while Gravity Control-Type Magic and Coulomb's force resistance magic are activated at the same time. The ionized electrons have their repulsion force lowered by the Coulomb Force Resistance Magic and are gathered by the Gravity Control-Type Magic in the center, thus triggering a thermonuclear reaction.
hydrogen nuclei

Reading about electron-electron repulsion confused the sh*t out of me since it was supposedly about nuclear fusion. Not electron fusion (lolwtf, no such thing). In short, the whole section should be talking about the electrostatic repulsion between positively charged nuclei, which you obtain after ionising it (ie. stripping the atom of its electrons, leaving the nucleus behind).

In any case, thank you for investing your hard work into translating this.
Detalz
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Detalz »

Yes, you're right about all of them. It should be electrostatic repulsion, and not electron repulsion, as electron repulsion plays little role in affecting nuclear fusion. Some further notes:
hoshinotactive wrote:The primary obstacle for thermonuclear power is the time created because the ionized electrons possess electric repulsion that prevents fusion chemical reactions, or simply the problem caused by the interaction of the electrons."
should be positively charged nuclei
This is the raw: 核融合発電を阻む主たる問題は、プラスマ化された原子核の電気的斥力に逆らって融合反応が起こる時間、原子核同士を接触させることにあります。
It translates to: The primary obstacle to fusion power(i.e. thermonuclear power) is the time necessary to generate a reaction that will overcome the electrostatic repulsion of plasma state-induced nuclei and result in their collision.

hoshinotactive wrote:"This device takes into account the dangers of radiation, so we used hydrogen instead of deuterium gas. Release-Type Magic is used to ionize the hydrogen gas within the canister while Gravity Control-Type Magic and Coulomb's force resistance magic are activated at the same time. The ionized electrons have their repulsion force lowered by the Coulomb Force Resistance Magic and are gathered by the Gravity Control-Type Magic in the center, thus triggering a thermonuclear reaction.
hydrogen nuclei
ionized electrons here is written as 'charged hydrogen nuclei' in the raws.
Jirachier
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Jirachier »

In volume 8 there is the line
As long as I can remember, as well as from what I’ve been told, aside from the non-systematic anti-magic ‘Gram Dispersion’, I have never seen him use any high level magic.
Shouldn't it be Gram Demolition rather than Gram Dispersion ? At the time everyone thought all he could do was use a counter magic as a trump card, knowing he had gram dispersion is the same as knowing he had Elemental Sight and was proficient in decomposition magic. Also Gram Dispersion isn't non systematic magic since it doesn't use psion directly and isn't affected by distance.
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

Jirachier wrote:In volume 8 there is the line
As long as I can remember, as well as from what I’ve been told, aside from the non-systematic anti-magic ‘Gram Dispersion’, I have never seen him use any high level magic.
Shouldn't it be Gram Demolition rather than Gram Dispersion ? At the time everyone thought all he could do was use a counter magic as a trump card, knowing he had gram dispersion is the same as knowing he had Elemental Sight and was proficient in decomposition magic. Also Gram Dispersion isn't non systematic magic since it doesn't use psion directly and isn't affected by distance.
No. This question has already been answered previously. See the first, second, and fourth post where it's confirmed in the Chinese raws and the Japanese raws.
mewarmo990
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by mewarmo990 »

Hey guys. Passing Japanese reader. Keep up the good work.

I found a translation mistake in chapter 0 of volume 1. It's on the very first page of the main text (page 12 of actual novel).

Wiki:
It is a product of neither legends nor fairy tales, but instead has become a technology of reality since a time unknown to people.
Original:
それが伝説や御伽噺の産物ではなく、現実の技術となったのは何時のことだったのか。
Pay attention to the grammar!

I haven't read too far into the translation but it seems to need a lot of copy-editing in general - just doesn't read all that well - but I'm sure you've got a backlog of work to do.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

呂剛虎(リュウカンフゥ): Lu Gonghu

Whether you're using Hanyu Pinyin from Mandarin or Japanese katakana, shouldn't the second character have an "a" for the vowel sound?
I.e. 剛 should be pronounced "gang" instead of "gong."

Also, rendering 呂 as Lü or Lv would be more correct (if you're using Hanyu Pinyin rules) because the pronunciation is distinctly different from "Lu" (for comparison, 陸 or 魯 would be the ones rendered as Lu).
The_Great_Galendo
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by The_Great_Galendo »

Okay, I've got the last few pages of chapter 5 done, and I'll post them to the main site tomorrow, completely correct or no, but there are a few sentences that I'm not quite sure I got the meanings correct on. Following are the original Japanese and my proposed translation, spoilered for space reasons
Spoiler! :
ランチは部屋で取ろうとほのか、雫に誘われて ーー 達也の部屋で、でわなくほのかたちの部屋でだ ーー 深雪を含め四人でホテルに戻ってきた達也は、泊まり込みで応援に来た生徒でごった返しているロビーで友人の声を掛けられた.
About to have lunch with Honoka and Shizuku in their room – not in Tatsuya’s room, but in Honoka’s – Tatsuya, who along with Miyuki made four people returning to the hotel, heard the voice of a friend in the lobby crowded with students who had come to cheer on the competitors.
(Here, I've partially brushed aside the ほのか、雫に誘われて part, because I'm not quite sure who's inviting who. I'm reading the Japanese as Shizuku (and/or Honoka) being invited, but that doesn't make sense if they're having lunch in Honoka and Shuzuku's room. At least, I assume they're rooming together, though I haven't gone back and checked.)

応援のバスが基地の入り口でデモ隊と鉢合わせちゃったんですよ
The bus was barricaded by demonstrators at the entrance to the base
(It is 'barricaded', right? It seems like the meaning could also have to do with assisting the bus, but that makes less sense in context.)

Next is a pair of related sentences:
幹比古があえて昔の決まり文句を復活させたのは、空気を変えようというエリカの意図を読んでのものだ
Mikihiko read Erika’s intention behind daring him to bring back his former catch phrase as saying ‘let’s change the mood’.
だが幹比古の気配りは、エリカによって仇で返された。
However, because of Erika, Mikihiko’s solicitude was poorly returned.
(There's a bit of context missing here, but basically just before the first sentence, Erika calls Mikihiko 'Miki' and he responds with "My name is Mikihiko", then after the first sentence, Erika ribs him about his relationship with Mitsuki, then the second sentence ends the chapter. Maybe 'ill repaid' might be a better translation than 'poorly returned', but either way, I want to make sure the big picture is correct, especially on the first of the two sentences.)
Also, here is my translation interwoven with the original Japanese for anyone who wants to check my work and make sure that more errors haven't slipped through the cracks:
Spoiler! :
前夜祭パーティの翌日昼過ぎ。ランチは部屋で取ろうとほのか、雫に誘われて ーー 達也の部屋で、でわなくほのかたちの部屋でだ ーー 深雪を含め四人でホテルに戻ってきた達也は、泊まり込みで応援に来た生徒でごった返しているロビーで友人の声を掛けられた。
It was the afternoon following the eve of the party. About to have lunch with Honoka and Shizuku in their room – not in Tatsuya’s room, but in Honoka’s – Tatsuya, who along with Miyuki made four people returning to the hotel, heard the voice of a friend in the lobby crowded with students who had come to cheer on the competitors.
「やっほー」
“Yahoo.”
既視感を覚えるシチュエーションだが、着でいる物は去年より随分大人しい。具体的にはノースリーブのオーバーシャシと七分丈のパンツルックでエリカが手を振っていた。
It was a situation eerily similar to last year, but this year the clothing was very docile. Specifically, Erika was sporting a sleeveless overshirt and three-quarters’ length pants look as she waved her hand.
「応援に来てくれたのか」
“Can I help you with something?”
「当然でしょう。おっ、他の二人も来てるよ」
“Naturally. Ah, two other people are coming.”
言葉のとおり、彼女の背後からレオが歩いて来た。
As she was speaking, Leo walked up behind her.
「お前な、自分の荷物は自分で持ちやがれ。。。。。。っと。うっす、達也」
“Hey you, carry your own luggage yourself…. Tatsuya, what’s up?”
彼が両手にぶら下げているバッグの、鮮やかな色合いの方はどうやらエリカの荷物らしい。
In his hands he carried a bag, but amazingly enough, it seems to be Erika’s bag.
「エリカちゃん、鍵。。。。。。あっ、達也さん、深雪さん、ほのかさん、雫さん、こんにちは」
“Erika-chan, the key…ah, Tatsuya-san, Miyuki-san, Honoka-san, Shizuku-san, good afternoon.”
更に、レオの背後から、キャスター付きのトラベルバッグを引っ張って美月が登場する。
Furthermore, from behind Leo, Mitsuki appeared hauling a newscaster-looking travel bag.
「お昼は?」
“Lunch?”
「まだだよ」
“Not yet.”
達也から端的に問われ、エリカが簡潔に答える。
Tatsuya frankly asked and Erika concisely answered.
「幹比古も呼ぶか。」
“Did you also call Mikihiko?”
この人数ツインルームは手狭だ。達也たちは九校戦の選手団に解放されているカフェのテラス席へ向かった。
For that number of people, a double room was cramped. Tatsuya and company moved toward the terrace seating of the café reserved for the Nine Schools’ Competition teams.

既にピークを過ぎている時間だったので、八人は待たずに席を確保できた。腰を落ち着けたところで、幹比古がいかなり質問を発した。
Because it was already past the peak time, the eight people did not have to wait to secure seating. As they were settling down, Mikihiko suddenly asked a question.
「予定より遅かったみたいだけど、何かあったの?」
“It seems that it was later than planned, did something happen?”
幹比古が問い掛けた相手は美月だ。だがその言葉に対し真っ先に反応したのはエリカだった。
The one Mikihiko asked was Mitsuki. However, in response to those words, the first to respond was Erika.
「ふーん。。。。。。」
“Ehh….”
「な、何だよ」
“Wh-what!”
エリカから嗜虐心のにじみ出た笑みを向けられ、幹比古の腰が引ける。しかしその対応は間違いであり、手遅れだった。
In response to the sadistic smile that Erika turned toward him, Mikihiko backed away. However that interaction was a mistake, it was too late.
「美月から予定を聞いていたんだ」
“Since you heard about the plans from Mitsuki.”
「メールをもらったんだよ。それだけだ」
“I received an email. That’s all.”
焦った顔で幹比古が言い返す。焦っていることを面に出すしてしまっている時点で逆効果だ。
Mikihiko replied back hurriedly. On this occasion, though, the mask of impatience he wore had an adverse effect.
「あれぇ?ミキって、美月とメルアド交換してるの?」
“Ehh? Miki, you exchanged email addresses with Mitsuki?”
「メールアドレスくらい交換するだろ。友達なんだから」
“We exchanged email addresses. Because we’re friends.”
ぶっきらぼうに言い捨てる幹比古から彼の隣に座るレオへ、エリカが視線を動かした。
At Mikihiko’s brusque response, Erika turned her gaze toward Leo, who was sitting next to him.
「あんた、美月のメルアド持ってる?」
“You, do you have Mitsuki’s email address?”
「いいや。必要無いからな」
“No. Since it’s not necessary.”
今は映像通話によるグループチャットが普及しているし、文字でコミュニケーションを取りたい場合は設定したグループのみがアクセスでぢる伝言板の利用が一般的だ。電子メールの優位性は纏まったデータを送られること、宛先を細かく指定した秘密の通信ができること、だった。 ーー ちなみに達也はエリカのアドレスも美月のアドレスも知っているのだが、それを[page 205]幹比古に教えようとはしなかった。女子のアドレスを知っていることが何か後ろめたいことのように勘違いさ'せ'ら'れ'た'幹比古は、すっかり顔を赤らめている。
In the present day, thanks to video chat, group chat has become widespread, therefore, in the case that one wanted to send a character-based communication, using group-only accessible message boards was typical. Email’s superiority was in transmitting large amounts of data and the ability to send finely-targeted secret messages. – By the way, the fact is that Tatsuya knew Erika and Mitsuki’s email addresses, but Mikihiko had not been informed of that. Being made to misunderstand that knowing girls’ addresses was akin to something to be ashamed about, Mikihiko’s face turned completely red.
そしてエリカは、今や満面の笑みを浮かべていた。幹比古の隣では美月が彼と同じような赤い顔で目を逸らしている。(誤解の無いように言い添えるおくと、彼らは二つの丸テーブルをくっつけてそれを取り囲む形で座っており、その順番はエリカ、美月、幹比古、レオ、雫、ほのか、達也、深雪である)
And as for Erika, by now her smile had spread over her whole face. Next to Mikihiko, Mitsuki had a similarly red face and averted eyes. (In order to clear any misunderstandings, they were seated around two round tables they had placed together, the order being Erika, Mitsuki, Mikihiko, Leo, Shizuku, Honoka, Tatsuya, Miyuki.)
この状況に堪えられなくなった幹比古が遂に爆発した。
Mikihiko, who could not bear the situation, finally exploded.
「何勘違いしているんだよ!柴田さんからメールをもらったのは僕だけじゃない。深雪さんや光井さんや北山さんと一緒だ!」
“What a misunderstanding you’re making! I’m not the only one who received Shibata-san’s email address. Mikuki-san and (Honoka’s last name)-san and Kitayama-san got it as well!”
しかしむきになっては、ますます泥沼にはまり込むだけだ。
However, getting worked up only sunk him deeper and deeper into the quagmire.
「達也くんは?」
“Tatsuya-kun?”
「無かったな」
“Not me.”
幹比古が達也へ「裏切り者」という目を向けていたが、冤罪に動じる達也ではなかった。
Mikihiko turned upon Tatsuya a look that said “Traitor”, but such a false charge perturbed Tatsuya not at all.
「ところでエリカ」
“By the way, Erika.”
ただ、そろそろ幹比古の、ではなく美月の限界が近づいているように見えたので、題を変えることにした。
However, it wasn’t because of Mikihiko, but rather because he could see that Mitsuki’s limit appeared to be approaching, for which Tatsuya changed the subject.
「時間に遅れたというのは本当か?」
“Is it really correct to say you were late?”
達也の問い掛けに、エリカが顔を顰める。
At Tatsuya’s question, Erika frowned.
「うん、まあね」
“Yeah, well.”
渋滞を構造的に解消した現代の陸上交通システムで誤差を超えて到着に遅れが生じるということは、道中のトラブルを意味している。そのトラブルが無視し得ない程、不愉快なものだったのだろう。エリカの意識が幹比古から逸れた。
For the land transportation system nowadays, which had resolved the issue of structural congestion, to have exceeded the arrival time by more than a measurement error, means that along the way there must have been some trouble. Being unable to ignore trouble to that extent, should have been an unpleasant thing. Erika’s awareness turned away from Mikihiko.
「応援のバスが基地の入り口でデモ隊と鉢合わせちゃったんですよ」
“The bus was barricaded by demonstrators at the entrance to the base.”
解放されるチャンスと見たのか、美月がすかさず言葉を挟む。
Seeing this chance of release, Mitsuki immediately spoke up.
「デモ?」
“Demonstration?”
ほのかが美月にそう訊ねたのは、基地の入り口からこのホテルまでは結構な距離があって、相当な大音量で騒いでいても何が起こったのか分からないからだ。
It seems the reason Honoka asked Mitsuki was because the hotel was quite a distance from the base’s entrance, so that they would not know even if a considerably loud racket occurred.
「ええ、その。。。。。。人間主義の」
“Yeah, those…humanists.”
美月の答えに一同が ーー その場にいなかった達也たちだけでなく、現場に遭遇したエリカとレオも、うんざりした表情を浮かべた。
Mitsuki’s response was for all present – only Tatsuya and company weren’t at that place, Erika and Leo had also encountered that situation, and a fed up look came across their faces.
「いつものアレよ、アレ」
“It’s always that, that.”
エリカの声は不機嫌が丸出しだった。
Erika’s voice was filled with undisguised ill-humor.
「魔法科高生の過半数が軍に入れられるなんで間違っている、目を覚ませ、軍は君たちを利用しているだけだ ーー ってヤツ。まったく、余計なお世話だっての」
“The majority of magic high students are entering the army and making a mistake, wake up, the army’s just using you – say those guys. Really, it’s none of your business, after all.”
言っている内にまた腹が立ってきたのか、エリカが段々とエキサイトしている。彼女と対照的にレオは思い出すのも嫌だとばかり何も言わない。
While speaking Erika gradually grew more excited and angry. In contrast to her, Leo’s memories were also unpleasant, but he said nothing.
「大体何が過半数よ。高校卒業の進学率と大学卒業後の就職率を足して何の意味があるのよ。異なる母集団から計算された比率なんだから、足し算も引き算も掛け算も割り算もできないってことくらい分かりなさいよ」
“Approximately what majority! What meaning is there in adding together high school graduates’ university entrance rate and university graduate’s employment rate? Since that ratio was calculated from different populations, you can’t add, subtract, multiply, or divide it, please understand at least that much!”
余程不愉快だったのか、エリカは何時になく論、理、的、だ、っ、た、。感情に任せていない分だけ、何時までも収まりそうにない。達也は仕方無く、消火作業に取り掛かった。
Though it was quite unpleasant, Erika was unusually logical. If her emotions were left to their own devices, they would go on indefinitely. Tatsuya reluctantly began the process of putting out the fires.
「デモやアジ演説に必要なのは正確性ではなくインパクトだからな。詭弁だってことくらい、彼らにも分かっているさ。それに魔法大学卒業生の四十五パーセントが国防軍とその関連先に就職しているという数字だけでもかなり高い比率であることは確かだから、そこにツッコミを入れても仕方が無い」
“For things like demonstrations and propaganda speeches, the necessary thing is not accuracy but impact. They too know that it’s sophistry. Moreover, forty-five percent of magic university graduates have some connection with the national defense force before finding employment. That’s certainly a considerably high rate, so claims like that can’t be helped.”
“What! Tatsuya-kun, are you on their side?”
「俺が?まさか」
“Me? Impossible.”
たつやの浮かべた苦い笑いは、「既に軍籍にある自分が?」という意味だ。
Tatsuya’s bitter smile had an “I, who’ve already joined the military?” meaning.
「そうだね。ごめん。。。。。。」
“That’s so, isn’t it? Sorry….”
もちろんエリカはそれを理解した。彼にそうしないという選択肢が無かったことも、エリカは薄々察していた。
Of course Erika understood that. That he had no other alternatives, Erika vaguely suspected.
「それにしてもミキ」
“At any rate, Miki.”
「僕の名前は幹比古だ」
“My name is Mikihiko.”
幹比古があえて昔の決まり文句を復活させたのは、空気を変えようというエリカの意図を読んでのものだ。
Mikihiko read Erika’s intention behind daring him to bring back his former catch phrase as saying ‘let’s change the mood’.
「あんた、まだ「柴田さん」なの?深雪のことは「深雪さん」って呼んでるんだから、美月のことも名前で呼べば良いのに」
“You, is it still ‘Shibata-san’? Even though, since you call Miyuki ‘Miyuki-san’, it should also be fine to call Mitsuki by her name.”
「今は関係ないだろ!」
“That’s completely off topic!”
だが幹比古の気配りは、エリカによって仇で返された。
“That’s completely off topic!”
joay_b
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by joay_b »

1. First sentence: here, Tatsuya was invited by both Honoka and Shizuku for lunch at their room, not Tatsuya's.
2. Second sentence: The bus merely ran into demonstrators. There was no indication that they were blocked.
3. 「応援に来てくれたのか」 != “Can I help you with something?”
「応援に来てくれたのか」== “So you're here to cheer us.”
まず隗より始めよ。
mewarmo990
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by mewarmo990 »

In volume 2, every instance of the wristbands worn by Blanche/Egalite members is described as red, white, and green. They should be red, white, and blue. A small, but frequently occurring error throughout the entire book.

This should be pretty obvious from the apparent French origin of the organization, plus 青 is most commonly "blue" in Japanese despite its original Chinese definition. 緑 is most often used for "green" in Japanese, while in Chinese either 綠 or 青 are used (there are subtle differences but not relevant here).

Example, from page 193:
エリカの体勢を崩そうと押し込むその右手首に、青と赤でふちどっられた白いリストバンドガ見える。
Your wiki:
A green and white ribbon was tied onto the right wrist that stretched forward to deny Erika.
Numerous translation issues aside, I also can't understand why this was translated as "ribbon tied onto the right wrist" when it literally says "wristband" in katakana. Did you guys translate this from a Chinese translation, or something?

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”