Mahouka: Volumes 1-8 Discussion

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka: Volumes 1-8 Discussion

Post by nr42 »

I thought the restoration was implanted during the "operation" (are we sure it actually was an operation?). The ability to restore was innate, but the automatic process, if you will, was implanted. I'm not sure actually.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Who knows? The main reason of doing the operation was to make him capable of using conventional magic, but it is propably true, that because of this he became capable of usig the restoration automaticallyk, though it is not stated dericetly. Anyway, as long as he wanted, he should have been capable of the restoration much sooner.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Who knows what kind of Mengelian experiments they did, before (and after) they put in the artificial magic-thingy.
Shawne03
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shawne03 »

No restoration is one of his natural abilities[vimeo][/vimeo]
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

It is never mentioned, as far as I know.
Shawne03
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shawne03 »

anybody else notice how they were constantly asking and speculating about the Shiba siblings magic even though its against their society's rules? which made it annoying and extremely rude since most of the time it was their seniors
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

No, well especially as long as Tatsuya´s abilities go it was expectable. The restoration was used on one of them and they just couldn´t believe that it is permanent (who cares about some rules as long as your life is at atake :)). As for the decomposition it is also acceptable (well to be more exact he just asked whether it is one magic and he even lied, thought not exactly) and it was because of great shock. As for the oscilation it was because of them being uncapable of understanding, how he could be able to do something like that and yet be in the course 2, it might have been rude, but considering their state at that time it was hardly illogical.
Shawne03
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shawne03 »

It doesn't matter if it's unbelievable or for what they think is a good reason for it to be wrong and annoying yet they keep doing it anyway and from what I've seen they don't do it to anyone else. For that matter knowing the rules he shouldn't have explained anything especially with how secretive they are about magic
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Shawne03 wrote:It doesn't matter if it's unbelievable or for what they think is a good reason for it to be wrong and annoying yet they keep doing it anyway and from what I've seen they don't do it to anyone else. For that matter knowing the rules he shouldn't have explained anything especially with how secretive they are about magic
More than a rule it is a part of ethics. It is the same as for example asking a woman about her age. Of course you shouldn´t do it, but if 20 or 30 years old looking starts speaking about her experiences from 30 years war you propably will ask her how old she is (yeah,, couple of centuries :)).
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Shawne03 wrote: and from what I've seen they don't do it to anyone else
Well yeah, nobody else is as mindboggling. If my signature magic is making farts smell like candy and I were to use it after someone farts. That wouldn't really incite anyone to ask about it. They'd just think: "Ah, he changed the smell of the fart."
The others signature magics don't defy their logic about magic. Take the phalanx as an example:
Everyone (most) can create a barrier; some multiple. But logically if you were extremely good at it, you'd be able to put the barrier around someone else and make it smaller. Just because they can't do it themselves doesn't mean they don't understand it.
Shawne03
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shawne03 »

Does Suzane's magic really surpass Jumonji and Mayumi like she said in volume 7 ch12. Do you really think he's the only person stronger than his rank cause I dont and their are other people using secret techniques and no one bats an eyelash or ask a question. some of this is showed in v7
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Well as for Suzunes´s magic, it is not like they don´t understand the underlying principles and more like they don´t understand why the hell she can use it openly, as it is something strictly prohibited by law (which is something they ask about). As for other secret technuques... well there are few but most are just quite simple techniques that have their efectiveness sharpened to the point of being deadly. Good example would be Mari´s technique, it is deadly but not like they don´t understand what it is (they just can´t do it), well as for this particular case there was only Tatsuya when she displayed it anyway, so nobody who needs explanation :).

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”