Mahouka Character Discussion: Shiba Tatsuya (bunko spoilers)

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka Character Discussion: Shiba Tatsuya (bunko spoil

Post by Zuruumi »

Well for flying type magic something like the speed of deploying the magic is seriously unimportant, as well as scale of it etc., the important factors are his real reaction speed and psion count and because of this two things and his familiarity with this magic he should count as one of th few best users of it.
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Gohankuten wrote:
nr42 wrote: Why? He sucks at all magic, so that'll include flying magic. Just because he developed it doesn't mean he's good at it.
Didn't you read the way he used it in the Yokohama disturbance fight? That right there showed how good he is at using it.
Forgot about that :oops:

But still it's quite strange, why would he be good at it? That would mean that his flying type CAD software is able to cast the magic instead of him. Which would make his invention a much bigger deal than it already is. Following that logic, he should be able to cast any magic at a very high level, provided that he made a specific CAD for it.
crisisavatar
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

Tatsuya can flash cast magic with up to 4 processes ( as far as we know ), meaning he can't wield the more difficult magic.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

If I am not mistaken he didn´t flash cast the flying type magic but he used his CAD... so anyway there is no relevance.
kyuudere
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by kyuudere »

nr42 wrote: Forgot about that :oops:

But still it's quite strange, why would he be good at it? That would mean that his flying type CAD software is able to cast the magic instead of him. Which would make his invention a much bigger deal than it already is. Following that logic, he should be able to cast any magic at a very high level, provided that he made a specific CAD for it.
I thought that Tatsuya only bad in Activation Sequence's speed ...

so maybe it's not a big problem if the building speed of Activation Speed of Flying-Type Magic that he made is kinda slow, cause the rest is He only needed to provides Psions into his CAD...

from wikia :
This allowed the casting to occur with perfect timing while mirroring the previous values, so a person could remain flying in the same place without any thought. With an extremely small Activation Sequence, the use of Psions is pushed down as far as possible, and more importantly, the Magic Sequence finished quickly, while still having enough details to keep the person aloft. In this way, there is no need for humans to time the spells, instead it automatically completes the required details. All a person has to do is supply some Psions and fly as free as a bird.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

No, well there is also the problem of scale and strength of the magic, but as flying magic is quite low scale and as long as you don´t plan to go up to 200 km per hour from stilness in half a second (which would kill you anyway) or something like that it is not even so strong, so he should be able to use this almost without any limitations.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Yes, but my point is:
wouldn't that mean he's able to that with other spells to?
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

No, he can do this only with spels that:

Don´t need to be strong.
Don´t need to be quickly activated (he is using technic similar to, or directly loopcast, so only the activation of the first one is slow for flying magic)
Are on small scale.

So no matter what he does, if he tried something like phalanx, he might create thoesends of barriers (and with his psion count maybe even more than Juumonji) but each one would be as thick as one paper (compared to Juumonji´s which are like steel blocks).
If he used fortification it would break easily etc. Well I don´t know whether he could use sonic blade this way, maybe for that type it would be ok.
anoni
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by anoni »

nr42 wrote:Decomposition is a very complex and unique spell, so it's possible he can't flash cast that,which would mean Katsuto would have the advantage; if he can, well then without getting the drop on him, it would be impossible.
Satou (author) has been very unclear as to what purpose his CADs actually serve with regards to Trident (and whatever the name of the one configured for Regrowth is), but has shown Tatsuya is most certainly not restricted to only using his inherent magics with them. It is probable that Trident merely aids his cast with regard to multiple targets using his Loop Cast system. Satou has also been very unclear as to what Tatsuya's limits in manipulating the Idea directly are.

In the Volume 8, Tatsuya of 3 years ago uses decomposition on the torpedoes without the use of a CAD. In Volume 7, he flash casts decomposition on the bullets and on his hands without using the CAD.

From what I have read: The very basis of inherent magics are the lack of a requirement of a CAD, as shown by Miyuki not needing a CAD for Cocytus(Volumes 7, 8 ), Suzune for her family's body control(7), and Maya for Meteor Line (8).

With regard to the question of who would win in a straight up match where Tatsuya is not under limiters: I don't really see Katsuto winning, simply because he doesn't appear to be as well trained (no mention of special training of any sort) in physical combat, Tatsuya's ability to flash cast, his insane regeneration and pain resistance, as well as Tatsuya's ability to manipulate others' activation sequences during casting (shown in volume II, and then seemingly disappearing- not entirely sure what happened to it).
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Shown? If you mean the evil eye than he just used decomposition. If you mean something else than I don´t have any idea.
Well you are completely right with his CADs. I was thinking this for a while, but I still have no idea what use are the CADs for him, maybe as you mentioned they make multitargeting easier and it might possibly have less strain on him.
Well if I am not mistaken, as long as they can remamber the activation sequence they should be able to use any magic without CAD. The problem being, that for other magics than their innane ones it is incredibly hard and judging from their comments much slower too.

Btw. in the Yokohama disturbance, as he is deomposing the bullets, if he sets the target of decomposition around his hand, doesen´t it literally mean, that he has to catch the bullets with his hand (though with no need to physically hold them, just tuch)? I think this is kind of insane skill and if he had steel gloves this should prove to be almost an impenetrable wall even without the use of decomposition :).
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Zuruumi wrote:Btw. in the Yokohama disturbance, as he is deomposing the bullets, if he sets the target of decomposition around his hand, doesen´t it literally mean, that he has to catch the bullets with his hand (though with no need to physically hold them, just tuch)? I think this is kind of insane skill and if he had steel gloves this should prove to be almost an impenetrable wall even without the use of decomposition :).
The decomposition around the hand is just for cutting the arms. He uses regular decomposition on the bullets and pretends he uses his hand in order to hide the fact that he's able to decompose bullets.
anoni wrote:In the Volume 8, Tatsuya of 3 years ago uses decomposition on the torpedoes without the use of a CAD. In Volume 7, he flash casts decomposition on the bullets and on his hands without using the CAD.
He doesn't use flash cast on the bullets or his hands in v7, he regularly casts the decomposition.
He does however in v8, which clears up a question that was asked before. Thanks for that.
This in turn also makes the likelihood of Katsuto winning a lot smaller, although maybe, since it's his special magic, he doesn't have to use a CAD either when using Phalanx. But that's mere speculation.

About the flash cast, it says in v3 that his artificial magic calc area is only capable of doing one magic at a time. So that's a limitation. And we also know it isn't very strong.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

nr42 wrote: The decomposition around the hand is just for cutting the arms. He uses regular decomposition on the bullets and pretends he uses his hand in order to hide the fact that he's able to decompose bullets.
Ah yeah, I reread it once more and he just used it on the bullets. I take my previous statement back.
Shawne03
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shawne03 »

whats with tatsaya being described as plain or unattractive wasn't it mentioned somewhere that people with alot of magical power are more attractive then usual so what the deal
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Haha, this is what he looked like before they implanted an artificial magic calculation area: :D
Spoiler! :
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

No, this is Erica without make-up. :D

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”