Mahouka Character Discussion: Shiba Miyuki (bunko spoilers)

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Mayonaka
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Character Discussion: Shiba Miyuki (spoilers aplenty)

Post by Mayonaka »

Haxton Fale wrote:I doubt that if a BS magician like Miya was unable to extract specific memories, Yotsubas would be able to reach even a similar level of expertise through sheer research, especially considering the level of abstraction this would be operating on, as well as Yotsubas exceptional talent in non-systematic magic.
That is if they use direct mental manipulation. There are a few other kind of mental manipulation. As far as we know, mental manipulations, like Miyuki's Cocytus and Miya's magic are direct ones, stopping and altering whole person's mental respectively. but there are lesser way to do mental manipulation, i.e hypnosis. it is possible that Miyuki was under hypnosis before her "death". If that is true, that would explain why she was furious when she know that Mibu was brainwashed using hypnotism on Vol 2 Chapter 11
crisisavatar
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

Haxton Fale wrote:Flash Cast is one thing, and he probably uses it to automate his recovery, but I don't think it's so simple to just go and outright use it, because IIRC someone mentioned "engraving" a spell (which makes me thing it's more of a Magic Crest from Nasuverse). Not that we know any specifics :V
He used it to walk on water to save the supposedly drowning chick, that was a pretty casual use of it for something of ultimately no importance to him.

I wouldn't be surprise if he could actually flash most if not all magic, his own is no question at all.
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

crisisavatar wrote:
Haxton Fale wrote:Flash Cast is one thing, and he probably uses it to automate his recovery, but I don't think it's so simple to just go and outright use it, because IIRC someone mentioned "engraving" a spell (which makes me thing it's more of a Magic Crest from Nasuverse). Not that we know any specifics :V
He used it to walk on water to save the supposedly drowning chick, that was a pretty casual use of it for something of ultimately no importance to him.

I wouldn't be surprise if he could actually flash most if not all magic, his own is no question at all.
What "supposedly drowning chick" are you talking about? Doesn't ring any bells. And he explained flat out which magics he can apply Flash Cast to and which ones he can't, way back when Mizuki figured it out just watching him in Volume 2, Chapter 8.
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

Rava wrote: What "supposedly drowning chick" are you talking about?
Honoka in the summer seaside side story in v5.
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

A scream suddenly cut through the calm summer air. Tatsuya perceived the capsizing event as information faster than the eye could see, and immediately rose onto the surface of the water and began sprinting full throttle towards the boat. It was a movement technique he would normally never use if others were around to see, but it sure was a heck of a lot faster than swimming.
The author still bludgeons the reader with the fact that Tatsuya wouldn't use it normally. So I wouldn't call that "casual" use at all. If Mayumi was there, he'd probably be in really big trouble.
ananda
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ananda »

Regarding Miyuki's Cocytus magic, was it explained why it's effect can be permanent? Tatsuya's regrowth is such a big deal precisely because it's changes is permanent, unlike normal healing magic. So shouldn't the minds frozen by cocytus will also reassert its natural state automatically, after some time? Or perhaps they actually do, just that the interference strength is so overwhelming that this dissipation takes a very long time...
Haxton Fale wrote:Assuming he manages to counter the spell before it's complete. IIRC Cocytus is Miyuki's innate skill so she's not using a CAD for that (although I might be terribly wrong), not to mention her nearly insane casting speed.
Would be nice to see an infodump from the author, though. Or at least some sort of clarification regarding various skills. I wonder if any of the translators could ask the author to create an infodump volume or something...
Hm...can Miyuki even apply cocytus to Tatsuya? His personal restoration is triggered by sleeping gas, so I think he would be immune to it. And if it is just to protect other people, I think based on the explanation of flying type magic, the Magic Sequences of cocytus will still be on that person, and Tatsuya can just use gram demolition to blow it away. There is no need to be faster in this case, since there is no adverse effect other than being stunned for a bit as far as we know.
crisisavatar
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

Miyuki IS NOT on half power, limits on herself and tatsuya been lifted since vol 7. If you read today's release and paid attention you would notice Tatsuya dealing with the influx of power she has now, her cad is currently a bottleneck for her and he will need to deal with that.

Also we share different views on casual. He had no need to sprint on water during that early drowning, he just chose to; she was never at risk of dying or anything of the like. On that note I guess I need to review vol 2 chap 8 couse I don't remember set in stone specifics to what he can flash.
ananda
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ananda »

crisisavatar wrote:Miyuki IS NOT on half power, limits on herself and tatsuya been lifted since vol 7. If you read today's release and paid attention you would notice Tatsuya dealing with the influx of power she has now, her cad is currently a bottleneck for her and he will need to deal with that.

Also we share different views on casual. He had no need to sprint on water during that early drowning, he just chose to; she was never at risk of dying or anything of the like. On that note I guess I need to review vol 2 chap 8 couse I don't remember set in stone specifics to what he can flash.
I just seem logical to me that the seal on Tatsuya's power will be reapplied once the crisis is over. Why wouldn't the military and the Yotsuba insist about that? The seal is probably the most important layer of restrictions placed on Tatsuya.

I believe that influx of power is more about the natural growth of Miyuki's power. I think magic power matures and naturally increases as you grow older, and then declines naturally with age as well (I remember Tatsuya wondering how strong Kudou Retsu is given his current age). Also, people are saying about Lina that it is surprising to find someone of the same age that could match Miyuki power for power, which indirectly implies that it is not so surprising if an adult is as strong. So I think that has nothing to do with the release of the seal.
Sashiko
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

Concerning the Limiter Volume 9 chapter Seven will show that the limiter is in place. However, it will also show that previous assumptions about the limiter are slightly wrong

BTW: yes Miyuki was at full power. You will find out why in volume 9 chapter seven

Sashiko
crisisavatar
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

Rava wrote:
What "supposedly drowning chick" are you talking about? Doesn't ring any bells. And he explained flat out which magics he can apply Flash Cast to and which ones he can't, way back when Mizuki figured it out just watching him in Volume 2, Chapter 8.
Went back........ You corrected me with the bs story he sold to Mizuki ( which I knew well ), thank you for wasting my time.

Second time I run into this brilliance today, just wonderful.
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

crisisavatar wrote:
Rava wrote:
Went back........ You corrected me with the bs story he sold to Mizuki ( which I knew well ), thank you for wasting my time.

Second time I run into this brilliance today, just wonderful.
What BS story? His thinking is that if he explained what it was as if it wasn't something unique to him, she won't inquire further. In other words, he avoids telling her the pre-requisites. The story then goes to explain in detail what he means about processes, so it's clearly something Magicians are already supposed to know about. This is then corroborated by Mizuki making the pointed observation that limiting it to 5 processes still lets him use half of all the combat magic out there, and him countering that it would still bar him from using non-combat magic that way. I've yet to see Tatsuya lie outright in the entire series, other than a lie of omission.
seitsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Mahouka Character Discussion: Shiba Miyuki (bunko spoile

Post by seitsuki »

I am highly disappointed that no one has anything to say about the best character in the series. Praise her! /order
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

seitsuki wrote:I am highly disappointed that no one has anything to say about the best character in the series. Praise her! /order
She is so awesome that we can't find the nerve to say anything bout her.
Swarz
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Swarz »

seitsuki wrote:I am highly disappointed that no one has anything to say about the best character in the series. Praise her! /order
Yo, Seitsuki. You are talking about Mayumi, right?
seitsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by seitsuki »

What was that? 'I don't want you to translate anymore'?

The Queen has no equal!!

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”