Mahouka Character Discussion: Shiba Miyuki (bunko spoilers)

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Mahouka Character Discussion: Shiba Miyuki (bunko spoilers)

Post by larethian »

This is the character discussion thread for Shiba Miyuki. Enjoy.
Spoiler tags are not needed in this thread.
Kadzu
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Character Discussion: Shiba Miyuki (spoilers aplenty)

Post by Kadzu »

A doubt about her Magic:
In what state would the targets be?I only know that she makes her enemies "stop",they simply stop moving and stay in the same position they were when she used her magic,like turning them into a statue its also permanent and irreversible .
I want to know if they still have their senses like hearing,vision,or at least able to think.If its something like making a person brain dead or permanent coma or something similar(if it is something similar to brain dead or coma,whats the difference?).
\
Haxton Fale
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haxton Fale »

The frozen mind shall never awaken.
The frozen mind cannot comprehend death. There was no way to even inform the flesh that death was upon them.
The bodies bound by their frozen minds could not even die. They could only collapse like a row of statues, forever captured in the postures before the frost came.
I believe not. I think effects of Cocytus are akin to Tatsuya's Disintegration - instant and perfect death (unless the caster wishes otherwise, at least in the latter case).
seitsuki
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by seitsuki »

All hail Her Highness the Queen of Ice! Bend your knee before the Frozen Throne!
Samael609
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Samael609 »

The way i see cocytus working is a freezing of way the brain see time, the same way your computer freez and you can do anything, so i don't think that the victims of it can sense anything since they have lost the sense of "time".
mangafan
Astral Realm

Post by mangafan »

from tatsuya's convo with maya, i get the feeling that miyuki had been experimented on by her mother so that she would never leave the yotsuba.
v-die
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by v-die »

mangafan wrote:from tatsuya's convo with maya, i get the feeling that miyuki had been experimented on by her mother so that she would never leave the yotsuba.
No, I think you misunderstood this part (or maybe I did?). It's more in line that Miyuki's been indoctrinated by her mother, atleast Maya thinks that this is the case.

Btw, am I the only one who can't stand Miyuki's romantic(?) tendencies for Tatsuya? I'm normaly not really bothered by something like this, but in this case I find it highly annoying. I mean the guy is only capable of brotherly affection for her, so she should just be a good girl and be a nice sister to him.
Haxton Fale
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haxton Fale »

She's a maiden in love. She is perfectly composed whenever she needs to, but aside from that I can understand her behaviour somewhat. She is perfectly aware of her brother's state, I'm sure, but she's as unreasonable as a teenage lovestruck girl can be.
crisisavatar
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

Complete opposite here. Not only am I ok with it, I actually want to see them become a couple, have babies, etc. Dead chick and dude who can only have feelings for 1 person in the world ? Hell yeah, if it had to happen this would be it for me. Not to mention they make sense op wise.
crisisavatar
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

Btw her power is killing people and leaving consciousness effectively.
mangafan
Astral Realm

Post by mangafan »

v-die wrote:
mangafan wrote:from tatsuya's convo with maya, i get the feeling that miyuki had been experimented on by her mother so that she would never leave the yotsuba.
No, I think you misunderstood this part (or maybe I did?). It's more in line that Miyuki's been indoctrinated by her mother, at least Maya thinks that this is the case.
I don't doubt the indoctrination but in one of the chapters she says her mind goes blank whenever she thinks about why she wont set her brother free.
So, i thought she was experimented on; that and the fact that currently i have no idea if maya can remember experiences with emotions. was maya reborn from the day she was erased by miya and be like a normal person or just strictly information person like tatsuya. if emotion then she being all you screwed me up now do it to your children kinda makes sense? >< :? since maya was the designer of tatsuya's experiment.

(or i am just reading way too much for no reason and should just wait for the susbsequent volumes. :) )
Sashiko
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

If you read Volume 9, You will notice her mind goes blank when she is thinking about Tatsuya and reminding herself that he is just a servant not her Onii sama. Although this is definitely the work of a Yotsuba it is probably not the work of her mother.

Also at a number of points both Tatsuya and Miyuki have commented about their lack of memory of their childhood so, probably when the decision was made to downgrade Tatsuya's position and promote Miyuki to potential future heir, the clan got to work on erasing traces of their previous relationship by suppressing memories and placing some kind of mental block on Miyuki to prevent her from thinking about Tatsuya as Onii sama.

The mental block disappeared with Miyuki's restoration but the memory loss still affects both of them which points to more than one type of magic.

It would be interesting to know if their cousins, Ayako and Fumiya, met them before this happened. Since they did not interact with them on a daily basis and have a protective father, they might remember the siblings relationship before the Yotsuba started interfering with their minds.

Sashiko
v-die
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by v-die »

Sashiko wrote:If you read Volume 9, You will notice her mind goes blank when she is thinking about Tatsuya and reminding herself that he is just a servant not her Onii sama. Although this is definitely the work of a Yotsuba it is probably not the work of her mother.
That's the thing, she knows he is her brother but he is also only considered a servant since he was not a magician in the eyes of the Yotsuba and so he is only an "Extra".
Also at a number of points both Tatsuya and Miyuki have commented about their lack of memory of their childhood so, probably when the decision was made to downgrade Tatsuya's position and promote Miyuki to potential future heir, the clan got to work on erasing traces of their previous relationship by suppressing memories and placing some kind of mental block on Miyuki to prevent her from thinking about Tatsuya as Onii sama.
I don't think such a thing happened, Miyuki was a potential future heir from the get-go (since bloodlines are important) and I think Tatsuya's "position" was also determined pretty early on. The rest is just a result from teaching.
The mental block disappeared with Miyuki's restoration but the memory loss still affects both of them which points to more than one type of magic.
She just realizes how powerful he is (that started even before this point) and started to respect him, after the Regrowth use she just disregards the Yotsuba teaching regarding him.
It would be interesting to know if their cousins, Ayako and Fumiya, met them before this happened. Since they did not interact with them on a daily basis and have a protective father, they might remember the siblings relationship before the Yotsuba started interfering with their minds.
I don't really think the Yotsuba would mess with the mind of a potential heir in such a way.
Sashiko
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sashiko »

In response to
If you read Volume 9, You will notice her mind goes blank when she is thinking about Tatsuya and reminding herself that he is just a servant not her Onii sama. Although this is definitely the work of a Yotsuba it is probably not the work of her mother.
V-de wrote:
That's the thing, she knows he is her brother but he is also only considered a servant since he was not a magician in the eyes of the Yotsuba and so he is only an "Extra".
However the original albeit rough translation of the scene is:
Spoiler! :
That is the position granted to Ani. I must become the heir of Maya Obaa-sama, therefore Ani is not my Onii-sama—

I stiffened due to a pain in the core of my brain.

For an instant, I felt as if I had no idea where I was.

Of course that was an illusion. I am at Kuroba Oji-sama’s party that I was invited to; in front of me, Oji-sama is making an discomfited face.

……Somehow I feel like I was thinking about something really important, however….that’s probably just my imagination.
Obviously referring to Tatsuya by Onii-sama which is probably what she called him when he was still being considered as a potential heir to the Yotsuba Clan triggers some sort of reaction pre-near death experience. This has nothing to do with her knowing that he is her brother.

V-de also wrote:
I don't think such a thing happened, Miyuki was a potential future heir from the get-go (since bloodlines are important) and I think Tatsuya's "position" was also determined pretty early on. The rest is just a result from teaching.
Also In Volume 8 Chapter 4: Ayako is introduced as the elder but the position of potential heir candidate for future overall head of the Yotsuba for their branch of the family is held by Fumiya as the Eldest Male Child and Ayako is not a candidate. My conclusion: Miyuki did not become a potential heir until Tatsuya lost the position.

As for when he lost that position I would place that to be after the experiment which occurred when Tatsuya was about 5-6 years old and Miyuki to be 4-5--Volume 8 Chapter 14

There is also mention of potential memory loss on Miyuki's part in Volume 8 Chapter 6:
Spoiler! :
For as far back as I can remember, I have no memories of taking baths together, playing together, or anything at all.

To me, my brother is not so much family, but rather more like a one year older boy I know. Those are my true feelings.
And as for The Yotsuba Clan not messing with a potential heir the short story "Untouchable" makes it clear that the current head of the clan's mind was messed with.

Now, I will admit that some of my conclusions might be proven wrong later in the Series but, I am basing them on previously revealed information.

Sashiko
v-die
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by v-die »

Hmm, I didn't reread v08 so I guess those parts I forgot?
But the Untouchable did make a point that targeting only some memories is not possible, or was that just for Miya? Else there would be no point in changing all memories.
Maybe they researched something like that in time between those events, or someone with such a talent was born or whatever... but I still don't understand why this would be important enough to warrant them messing with her head. Isn't it "normal" for the Ten Master Houses to remove those not fit from their families (them becoming Extras)? Even If she wouldn't like it, she would have to accept it. So I really see no reason why they would risk losing a second heir (if the magic to manipulate her mind goes wrong).

But maybe that's just me...

Also my name in this forum is "v-die" not "v-de" :D

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”