Removal of covers from Mahouka project page

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Would you like to see cover illustrations on the project page?

Yes.
84%
No.
16%

Total votes: 210

hypernova
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Removal of covers from Mahouka project page

Post by hypernova »

Looks like someone do the work to put the covers back in and someone else remember this thread but didn't see the later discussion so he/she revert that. Can I suggest we have a poll or something to have a final say in the matter? It sounds to me like, so far, people are favor in having the covers on. I'm happy to revert the revertion, but I fear it will turn into a tug-of-war if we don't agree on it first or larethian do it himself.

I also vote keeping the cover on because that's what you supposed to see even when randomly browsing in a bookstore. And it's much more dangerous spoiler-wise to go look in the illustration page just to see the cover (happened to lightly spoiled myself precisely because of this for Mahouka volumn 10).
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

Added a poll in this topic to keep a tally of how many people want the covers to stay, and how many don't.

I personally voted yes because I like to see the cover pictures(usually beautiful) before I decide to read a volume or not.
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

I vote yes because that's always the first thing I see when browsing books and generally if the cover doesn't catch my eye i don't give it a chance. Of course after the cover I read the synopsis on the back and if that doesn't fancy me then even the cover won't get me to read it lol.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

I've thought of a way to do this properly, I'll implement it at another date.
Niflheim
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Niflheim »

Even though I adhere to the "don't judge a book by its cover" idiom I still went with a 'yes' because atm it looks a bit dull and "clinically white", the page could do with some colour.
Riso raknar, rann álfraudull, nordr at niflheim
nióla sótti; upp nam ár Giöll Úlfrúnar nidr,
hornþytvalldr Himinbiarga

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Give me KanColle in english please Kadokawa Games!
popocatepetl
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by popocatepetl »

I agree, looks too empty and colorless.
If only the finest birds in the forest dared sing, how quiet the forest would be.
-William W. Purkey
iamadooddood
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

Strange. 4 days ago I saw the covers on the page, then now they're gone. Even stranger, when I saw the history I saw that the covers were removed on September 19... I probably remembered things wrong on that day. Oh well. Anyway... judging by the response here, I think it should be fine to add back the covers?
Devenk83 wrote:Uh... Deizrouge, the wiki isn't a forum, we don't have a Spoiler Code. And the link that you're talking about it's the illustrations pages, as Larethian said.

And I don't understand why you're so much against the cover in the project page, Larethian. After all, whatever you're Japanese, Chinese or English ( and more... ), isn't it the front cover the first thing you see when you take a book ? If the illustrations contain spoiler, it isn't the fault of the supervisor of the project, but it's directly the fault of the illustrator and the edition company.
Old post, but quoted for truth. The covers shouldn't even need to be spoilered.

Now a response to larethian's reasons (underlined):
larethian wrote:The reasons for removal are as follows:
1. ILLUSTRATIONS can already be found on the illustration page.
As others have mentioned, going to the illustrations page will spoil a lot more than just leaving them on the main page.
2. Having it on the project page may slow down load times on mobile browsers
That's no excuse for removing the covers. It's like saying e-bookstores should do away with showing covers for the e-books they sell, because it'll spoil the story for potential buyers. I'm positive no such e-store does that, at least not for that reason. Or that you should use paper to cover the book covers in all the books sold in bookstores and not let anyone remove the paper until they buy it (or heck, don't show the buyers the books at all! Whatever book they want to buy, they have to ask the counter whether the book's in stock, and best of all, the bookstores get to save money on paper and bookshelves!), for the same reason. Tell me which store does that.
3. It looks freaking ugly on wide screen monitors.
I can also say that having no covers looks freaking dull on widescreen monitors. Whether it looks ugly/dull or not is subjective, because I find that it actually beautifies things on my widescreen monitor.
4. Most importantly, cover illustrations can contain SPOILERS.
See response to 1.
No offence, larethian, but I get the feeling that you didn't think this through much.

At least, you acknowledge the consensus, which is good.
Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

Going to the Illustrations page you actively seak them out, calculated risk to run into rest of them and spoil stuff.
larethian Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:20 am wrote:I've thought of a way to do this properly, I'll implement it at another date.
So I don't really see the need to some how jump larethian for what he did.
He figured out away and thoes that want the covers will get them in due time.

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

iamadooddood
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

Niflheim wrote:Going to the Illustrations page you actively seak them out, calculated risk to run into rest of them and spoil stuff.
larethian Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:20 am wrote:I've thought of a way to do this properly, I'll implement it at another date.
So I don't really see the need to some how jump larethian for what he did.
He figured out away and thoes that want the covers will get them in due time.
That's why I said that he acknowledged the consensus, which is good. However, he did overlook the fact that having to go to the illustrations page would run the risk of spoiling stuff, which was why I said what I said.

Anyway, wouldn't just undoing the changes made be sufficient?
Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

Sufficient perhaps, most efficient no idea.
Showing the covers or not was just being selective at what risk of spoilers were to be allowed. It was an all or nothing approach.

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

iamadooddood
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

Niflheim wrote:Sufficient perhaps, most efficient no idea.
Showing the covers or not was just being selective at what risk of spoilers were to be allowed. It was an all or nothing approach.
We have already established that showing the covers is definitely better than not showing them. What I am trying to establish now, is that there is no more efficient way to do so than showing the covers just like that i.e. reverting the changes would be enough.

What Devenk83 said did have a point too. Any spoilers on the covers themselves (which are few and far between anyway; the risk is minimal) is in no way the fault of the translators. Anyone walking into bookstores or considering buying the e-books are equally at risk of being spoiled as the readers who stumble onto BT.
Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

You just had to go there. Oh well here goes. What you have established is that 67 out of the 84 people that bothered voting wants the covers. Thats it. You can't determine if it is the better option to display the cover pics or not, only that it is the most sought after option by thoes that took thier time to vote.

The efficiency bit was entierly related to code on the wiki side.

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by Rohan123 »

Stop arguing here, larethian has said that he has a proper solution, so give him some time.
iamadooddood
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

Niflheim wrote:You just had to go there. Oh well here goes. What you have established is that 67 out of the 84 people that bothered voting wants the covers. Thats it. You can't determine if it is the better option to display the cover pics or not, only that it is the most sought after option by thoes that took thier time to vote.

The efficiency bit was entierly related to code on the wiki side.
Not even after the explanations that we've given him? :o
Rohan123 wrote:Stop arguing here, larethian has said that he has a proper solution, so give him some time.
Just to be curious, what's the solution?
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by Rohan123 »

iamadooddood wrote:
Rohan123 wrote:Stop arguing here, larethian has said that he has a proper solution, so give him some time.
Just to be curious, what's the solution?
I don't know, but apparently larethian has an idea, so give him some time. -
larethian wrote:I've thought of a way to do this properly, I'll implement it at another date.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”