Removal of covers from Mahouka project page

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Would you like to see cover illustrations on the project page?

Yes.
84%
No.
16%

Total votes: 210

Aleaccipiter
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Removal of covers from Mahouka project page

Post by Aleaccipiter »

larethian, I think, that I speak for the most user and/or readers, when I say that it will be very sad if you leave the main stream projects. Please just don't listen to one man's opinion, who thinks that he is the most capable translator because of couple after words. Please don't leave the project.

iamadooddood

Why do you think it is your place to take everything in to your hands and just do what you feel like to. Yes I'm grateful for those translations. But you speak like you are the sole translator on baka, and that is just not right. IMHO. Also you speak of the project that you didn't started and didn't contribute anything like it's yours, where do you get such right?

All of the above is just my opinion. Sorry for the off topic. Sorry for bad English.

Also if anyone want to argue with me please use my PM so there will be no more off topic
Sorry for my poor english, it's my third language :)
Ad astra per aspera. Lassitudo - vixero !!!
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

I never expected that people would complain more about the covers rather than for the TLs...

Anyway, iamadooddood, you saw what happened, it would be wise to stop here.

larethian, you mind if I take care of making a code for hiding covers under a collapsible section? I'll try to make some tests.

Edit : I can't go farther than this. I got the right dimensions for the bar, but I can't put it at the right of the chapters. I've tested various codes, so if someone is more experienced with wiki code, feel free to make any needed changes.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Niflheim
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by Niflheim »

Misogi wrote:I never expected that people would complain more about the covers rather than for the TLs...
The internet never ceases to amaze now does it, sadly.

Can't say for certain, but I think that was the idea.
Is the width of the bar depended on the list below?
Riso raknar, rann álfraudull, nordr at niflheim
nióla sótti; upp nam ár Giöll Úlfrúnar nidr,
hornþytvalldr Himinbiarga

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Give me KanColle in english please Kadokawa Games!
iamadooddood
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

larethian wrote:Just letting you know, I just read your posts properly since I had been really too busy to do that. The way you are going about adamantly asking for the covers to be put back and your manner of debating really piss me off. More and more old staff had given up on BT because of the way many new people (some even with translator/senior translator/editor tags which I feel are undeserving) are trying to 'run' things here without asking, going through the right channel, or be nice about their requests (one of the greatest loss being Vaelis). Each project has its own staff and space. You see how I ask rpapo for his blessing before I start working on Golden Time? I don't go about getting involved in a project which someone already took ownership in without getting his blessing. Not that I'm going to do anything to you or stop you from putting back the covers. I tried too hard to keep things proper and in line in many areas here but with less and less support from the old staff, I feel like washing my hands off things here.

I'll just avoid the popular projects and focus on niche stuff. You guys can do whatever you want.
Yeah, I know, which was why I acknowledged where I went wrong.

I do tend to get a bit overboard when I debate, regardless of the topic in question, so if I came across as adamant and all, then I apologise to everyone here. For example, there was this forum I used to be in, where you were not allowed to post in threads that have not had new posts for the past two months unless the board/sub-forum the thread was in was inactive enough for said thread to be in the first two pages of said board/sub-forum when you sorted the threads from newest to oldest, or the thread will be locked to prevent further necroposting (in fact, I clashed with mods a few times over the second point because they only knew of the two month rule, and not the inactivity clause; they usually ended up unlocking the threads). Once, when I pointed out that someone who started a thread revived it, I went out of my way to actually prove that the thread was dead enough for a mod to lock it. Most people posting in that thread were not pleased, to say the least. (In the end, that thread didn't get locked for some reason.) And there was that time when I proved the physical impossibility of a solar system which was the setting of a role-play game in the same forum... the guy who hosted the RP was also less than pleased. On the other hand, I was also one of the better debaters in that forum, and was even actually acknowledged as such at one point. While I do concede a point sometimes, you'd have to either craft a really good argument, or be lucky and have me overlook an obvious fact (such as earlier in this thread where I overlooked one of your earlier posts as a critical point).

In addition, I tend to be extremely rigid when it comes to hard-and-fast rules (unless there's a loophole, in which case I'd abuse it hard), yet extremely flexible when it comes to guidelines that don't technically count as hard-and-fast rules. Though the former point (minus the parenthesised part) was good enough for me to be made a moderator in another forum for some time (a job I did pretty well in), but that's for another story.

EDIT:
Niflheim wrote:Oh please, effect the entierty of BT? You really do live in your own little world don't you. If you truely were patient about this you would not have started the past days discussion in the first place. Because you were going to get your beloved covers eventually.
I've seen my fair share of similar incidents that ended up being precedents of new rules, hence I responded as such.
Aleaccipiter wrote:iamadooddood

Why do you think it is your place to take everything in to your hands and just do what you feel like to. Yes I'm grateful for those translations. But you speak like you are the sole translator on baka, and that is just not right. IMHO. Also you speak of the project that you didn't started and didn't contribute anything like it's yours, where do you get such right?
I did not. I based my actions from reading larethian's posts alone, and while I admit I did act near what would warrant crossing the line, I have checked again and could not see that how that particular action could have actually crossed the line.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Niflheim wrote:
Misogi wrote:I never expected that people would complain more about the covers rather than for the TLs...
The internet never ceases to amaze now does it, sadly.

Can't say for certain, but I think that was the idea.
Is the width of the bar depended on the list below?
Nope, its width is set at 23% (of the screen resolution, perhaps). Below that value, the bar is unstable after showing the cover, and above, it can't be put at the right.

The current problems are finding a way to put the bar at the right of the chapters, and making sure that the chapter list doesn't move. It may be impossible to do.

Not to offense you, iamadooddood, but even though it's good that you acknowledged that you went too far, you should keep a low profile due to the troubles that you caused.
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

Not sure how to explain this immediate thought, it certainly won't be the most efficiant solution if it even works but here goes.

Is it possible to put the bar on an "empty" column? Basically you use the layout cautr used but with 3 columns. <normal chapter list> <empty column> <empty column with the bar>. You just cheat it to the right. Adjusting the width to 33% on either column.

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Hmm, sounds good. I'll take a look at it.
----
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Would someone explain the problem to me? What exactly has to be on the right side and why? Maybe I can give a hand after I'm done with the Sakurasou page (approval by Junnynam).
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

The dropdown cover thing basically. If you check the test page Misogi linked to. It is the hide/show bar with the cover that is desired to the far right.

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

No need to, cautr's solution solved everything. Now I need to change some values, and it's done.

Edit : It's completed.
----
hypernova
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hypernova »

Niflheim wrote:
hypernova wrote:I just think that, given the vote result and posts as hints, it is ok to revert to having covers while waiting for the new solution to be implimented.
So as long as you get a few covers back asap to oggle you are okay despite it being extra work on the part of the one meant doing it.

I've said this before, but seems it needs to be said again. All anyone had to do was sit and wait and the covers would have come back, patiences is a virtue. I'm genuinely curious as how it can seem you have the patience to wait for translations but can't extent that patience towards this. It baffles me really. I thought that it would itch more waiting for the next chapter rather then not seing thoes cover pics you already seen and would only add a bit of aesthetic value to the wiki.
I'm not sure why you think I'm impatience about this. I still sit here and wait like you do. I never actually make any change on the Mahouka page (apart from the one time I added a Full Text link). Neither adding the covers nor revert the change. I saw someone did the work to put the cover back in a month ago, then it was reverted right away because apperently the person who reverted didn't realized that after some discussion Larethian (at the time) said that it is ok to put them back if someone will do the work. So, I come to this thread suggesting we have a vote so it won't turn into a tug-of-war. Now a couple days ago iamadooddood tried to put them back and it got revert right away again so I came in here expressing my opinion that "isn't it fine to put them back for now while we're waiting since the vote suggested that people prefer having the covers?" I'm not asking for anyone to do the extra work since it has already been done. So all one need to do is hit the revert.

Please accept my sincere apology if I came across as..condescending? It is not my intention. When I said "with all due respect", I really meant to be polite. I was really surprised when you replied "right back at you."
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Ok, the code is completed. Until we get larethian's approval to use it, stop speaking about this subject if you are still complaining without finding solutions.

Either criticize what I've done or don't post at all.
----
Niflheim

Post by Niflheim »

Guess what got me through 4 years at uni still works after all these years.
Appreciate the work Misogi :)

hypernova, there is no need for you to apologies for anything. If anyone should it should probably be me.

As we now have a solution that cover both sides wishes I sincerely hope this topic could be done and over with, again. Lets hope the price for it wasnt to high.

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Misogi wrote:Ok, the code is completed. Until we get larethian's approval to use it, stop speaking about this subject if you are still complaining without finding solutions.

Why don't you put it next to each other like on my original and just put the EVERYTHING (Volume name, chapter list, cover) into the spoiler?
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
Dreyakis
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Dreyakis »

cautr wrote:
Misogi wrote:Ok, the code is completed. Until we get larethian's approval to use it, stop speaking about this subject if you are still complaining without finding solutions.

Why don't you put it next to each other like on my original and just put the EVERYTHING (Volume name, chapter list, cover) into the spoiler?
Cautr, I took the initiative to edit your post to remove that which wasn't pertinent to the discussion. Please refrain from commenting on other people's perspectives or opinions.
No angel ever descended from the heavens with our sound and fury.

Drop by here if you have any questions regarding upcoming chapter progression/what series I am working on.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”