Removal of covers from Mahouka project page

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Would you like to see cover illustrations on the project page?

Yes.
84%
No.
16%

Total votes: 210

Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Removal of covers from Mahouka project page

Post by Misogi »

Ah, but it's alright, Dreyakis. I don't even see a problem if I got insulted in the process (but I removed that part from my last sentence).

@cautr : Well, I'll put both versions then. It's just that some people are used to have the covers at the right of the screen.

For the idea of putting everything in a spoiler tag, I'm not fond of that idea. Just because it's not practical to open every time a bar in order to access a chapter.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Misogi wrote:Ah, but it's alright, Dreyakis. I don't even see a problem if I got insulted in the process (but I removed that part from my last sentence).

@cautr : Well, I'll put both versions then. It's just that some people are used to have the covers at the right of the screen.

For the idea of putting everything in a spoiler tag, I'm not fond of that idea. Just because it's not practical to open every time a bar in order to access a chapter.
I did not insult you, the msg is gone, so you cannot see it, but I didn't.

Well, it is on the right, still. :mrgreen: Aren't there links inside the chapters which lead you to the next one? So if the spoilers (for example of 8 volumes) are next to each other (possibly in two rows even, gotta test that if needed), you only need to choose your volume, get into the chapter and then follow the links at the end of it, don't you?

EDIT: I also think you code doesn't look as intended on my side. There's no difference between cover above and below. Sigh. Maybe the code's not universal after all?
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
Niflheim
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Niflheim »

cautr wrote:
EDIT: I also think you code doesn't look as intended on my side. There's no difference between cover above and below. Sigh. Maybe the code's not universal after all?
I think that is just Misogi not changing text from an earlier test version :)
Riso raknar, rann álfraudull, nordr at niflheim
nióla sótti; upp nam ár Giöll Úlfrúnar nidr,
hornþytvalldr Himinbiarga

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Give me KanColle in english please Kadokawa Games!
hypernova
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hypernova »

Misogi wrote:Ok, the code is completed. Until we get larethian's approval to use it, stop speaking about this subject if you are still complaining without finding solutions.

Either criticize what I've done or don't post at all.
Small suggestion: How about adding "Cover" to the title bar to explain what is hidden?
Niflheim wrote:hypernova, there is no need for you to apologies for anything. If anyone should it should probably be me.
Of course no need for you to do that either. :D Glad we've come to an understanding. Cheers!
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

I knew that you didn't insulted me, I was speaking just in case someone wanted to lash out on an impulse and against anyone here.

Well, the code can still be improved, it's just that I wanted to make sure that it doesn't become too long and too complicated.

I'm currently making some editions, so if some things appear or disappear, that's normal.
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Another solution:

A friend of mine told me, that the wiki-software has a mobile-function, which can be activated. In that case mobile devices will get a mobile version of BT (when accessing the site) on which image material can be deactivated (which then would only be for mobile devices). And it's, as far as my friend knows, highly configurable on which type, size etc. pictures are disabled. Maybe this would solve the bandwith problem. Though I have no idea how to do that stuff and who would be able to do that on BT. Maybe it does ring a bell for someone here.

EDIT: It's supposed to be this, I guess: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MobileFrontend

Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Posted the "covers closer to the chapter list" version.
cautr wrote:Well, it is on the right, still. :mrgreen: Aren't there links inside the chapters which lead you to the next one? So if the spoilers (for example of 8 volumes) are next to each other (possibly in two rows even, gotta test that if needed), you only need to choose your volume, get into the chapter and then follow the links at the end of it, don't you?

I'm not fond of a WP8-like structure.

For the "above" and "below" things, it's just to check that the space or the volume below doesn't move further to the bottom when we open the bar.
hypernova wrote:Small suggestion: How about adding "Cover" to the title bar to explain what is hidden?
Done, thanks for that.

For the mobile-version structure, I'm not fond of using mobile versions of websites ('cause they are often messed up when I access them with my phone).
----
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Misogi wrote:For the mobile-version structure, I'm not fond of using mobile versions of websites ('cause they are ofent messed up when I access them with my phone).
While that is normally true, this is a wikimedia template. It should look the same for every site that uses it, unless you're messing with the code like I do. :oops:

iamadooddood
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by iamadooddood »

Misogi wrote:Ok, the code is completed. Until we get larethian's approval to use it, stop speaking about this subject if you are still complaining without finding solutions.

Either criticize what I've done or don't post at all.
If there's a solution, then good. I've decided to wash my hands off that matter (for now at least), and just do the afterwords when I have the time.

Right now, though, aligning to the far right is better, because according to the test page, the "show"/"hide" for each volume cover is aligned with the header for the respective volume when you align it to the far right, which isn't the case when you narrow the column (where it's aligned with the words "Novel illustrations" instead). As a result, when the cover is shown its position relative to the content list of the volume looks off.

EDIT: I got it. There is one </div> at the top and two at the bottom. Move one </div> up such that there are two at the top and one at the bottom instead. It'll align nicely. And look better. (I'd still prefer aligning to the far right, but that's just me.)
Misogi wrote:For the idea of putting everything in a spoiler tag, I'm not fond of that idea. Just because it's not practical to open every time a bar in order to access a chapter.
For projects where the chapters are not named (or there's nothing that can be spoiled in the chapter names), yes there's no need.

However, where the chapters are named and the names are distinct enough, the chapter names can potentially spoil much more than the covers, so in that case if you hid the volume cover, then those chapters should also be hidden.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Three remarks about that :

- Actually, it was Devenk who has found out a solution to "align" the bar with the header. Or so I thought, as it isn't perfectly aligned.
- I'll look at it for the "Left" version.
- Let's not start a debate about "Should we show the chapters or hide them", ok?

BTW, I'll put a warning on you, iamadooddood, as you have gone too far. If you want to argue about it, do it by PM.
----
popocatepetl
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by popocatepetl »

Just curious, are you talking about one of the translators for Mahouka? If that is the case, who left?
If only the finest birds in the forest dared sing, how quiet the forest would be.
-William W. Purkey
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

Misogi wrote:BTW, I'll put a warning on you, iamadooddood, for having made a translator quit the project. No offense, but it's just to make sure that you can reflect on your acts (consider it as a yellow card). If you want to argue about it, do it by PM.
What? Larethian quit the project—NOO!!! You people should have listened to me when I told you to stop arguing here and leave it to larethian 4 pages ago... :evil:
Niflheim
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Niflheim »

Rohan123 wrote:What? Larethian quit the project—NOO!!! You people should have listened to me when I told you to stop arguing here and leave it to larethian 4 pages ago... :evil:
larethian wrote:Just letting you know, I just read your posts properly since I had been really too busy to do that. The way you are going about adamantly asking for the covers to be put back and your manner of debating really piss me off. More and more old staff had given up on BT because of the way many new people (some even with translator/senior translator/editor tags which I feel are undeserving) are trying to 'run' things here without asking, going through the right channel, or be nice about their requests (one of the greatest loss being Vaelis). Each project has its own staff and space. You see how I ask rpapo for his blessing before I start working on Golden Time? I don't go about getting involved in a project which someone already took ownership in without getting his blessing. Not that I'm going to do anything to you or stop you from putting back the covers. I tried too hard to keep things proper and in line in many areas here but with less and less support from the old staff, I feel like washing my hands off things here.

I'll just avoid the popular projects and focus on niche stuff. You guys can do whatever you want.
Don't think it was so much the argument as the normal entitlement attitude displayed.
Now I can be That guy and come out and say that unless you intended to act on your warning you shouldn't have droped it in the first place. Unless we broke a forum rule it was just a heated argument on the threads topic. Might not have looked nice but a debate between opposing sides generally aren't when on the internet. Now since this is entierly off topic and the situation that happend was solved mostly thanks to Misogi's work and we are waiting to hear from larethian, if you wanna contiune the entier warning bit feel free to PM me.
Riso raknar, rann álfraudull, nordr at niflheim
nióla sótti; upp nam ár Giöll Úlfrúnar nidr,
hornþytvalldr Himinbiarga

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Give me KanColle in english please Kadokawa Games!
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

@Niflheim: ... I couldn't understand a single word of what you said.

Actually, I already got an answer from larethian (and it was why I put that sanction).
larethian wrote:[...] But I don't want to do anything with Mahouka now, anyone can go edit it. I want to avoid drama as much as possible.
Still, do not put the code on the project page until further notice, in case the situation evolves (and don't even think of arguing over this).
----
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Okay, as the situation is more or less resolved, don't even bother me again with that subject until I come back on my own.

I've lost again some TL time, it won't happen a third time. Thank you for your comprehension, don't comment this.
----

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”