Removal of covers from Mahouka project page

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Would you like to see cover illustrations on the project page?

Yes.
84%
No.
16%

Total votes: 210

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Removal of covers from Mahouka project page

Post by larethian »

I'll be removing cover illustrations from the project page soon. In the first place, I do NOT agree with whoever started this 'fashion' of putting covers on project pages. It probably started from some IS project contributors, and spread to a number of other popular projects.

The reasons for removal are as follows:
1. ILLUSTRATIONS can already be found on the illustration page.
2. Having it on the project page may slow down load times on mobile browsers
3. It looks freaking ugly on wide screen monitors.
4. Most importantly, cover illustrations can contain SPOILERS.
Last edited by Rohan123 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added poll.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: REMOVAL OF COVERS FROM MAHOUKA PROJECT PAGE

Post by Teh_ping »

...Lare, IS doesn't even have volume covers on its page.(except for the first volume).
It probably started from some IS project contributors, and spread to a number of other popular projects.
Honestly, I wish you do not make accusatory comments at when you are not exactly sure of who started this (And I also followed this trend on Hikaru)

Other than that, no disapproval about removing the covers from the main page since you're the Supervisor of the project.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

Okay, it was me =(
I seeded it with Blade Dance, I've chanced upon its use in DAL and found myself liking it.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Teh_ping wrote:...Lare, IS doesn't even have volume covers on its page.(except for the first volume).
It probably started from some IS project contributors, and spread to a number of other popular projects.
Honestly, I wish you do not make accusatory comments at when you are not exactly sure of who started this (And I also followed this trend on Hikaru)

Other than that, no disapproval about removing the covers from the main page since you're the Supervisor of the project.
Sorry about that. My mistake on relying on bad memory. Forgive me. :oops: :(
KuroiHikari wrote:Okay, it was me =(
I seeded it with Blade Dance, I've chanced upon its use in DAL and found myself liking it.
I'm not fault-finding. But I do recall some project started it, and I vaguely recall speaking against it. I want to remove it mainly because of the spoilers.
cyrix22
Astral Realm

Re: Removal of covers from Mahouka project page

Post by cyrix22 »

larethian wrote:I'll be removing cover illustrations from the project page soon. In the first place, I do NOT agree with whoever started this 'fashion' of putting covers on project pages. It probably started from some IS project contributors, and spread to a number of other popular projects.

The reasons for removal are as follows:
1. ILLUSTRATIONS can already be found on the illustration page.
2. Having it on the project page may slow down load times on mobile browsers
3. It looks freaking ugly on wide screen monitors.
4. Most importantly, cover illustrations can contain SPOILERS.
This happens to be my first post in the forums and i'm guessing larethian is gonna be pissed off and i'm really am sorry to have to say this.
But Mahouka was the reason i realised a site like baka-tsuki existed and i just couldn't help voicing out my opinion...
Come on now, i agree that the covers look bad on a widescreen monitor but trust me, it helped out with the presentation.
I like looking at the cover of a novel before choosing whether or not to pick it up and when the authors chose or drew the front page, a lot of thought went into it and Mahouka's covers are quite good.
The covers are in full colour and eye-catching for a reason, to entice you to read the novel and that's all they are.
I have read Mahouka countless of times and it remains as one of the best i've ever read so far and i haven't really seen any spoilers from the covers.
A teaser yes, but spoilers??
And which part of entering the illustration page and seeing 20 images from the storyline is not a spoiler.
I know that you meant for the good of the readers but try to think it through.
Maybe you can come up with a method of placing the covers on the front page without having it look ugly on widescreen monitors.
And to deal with the load time on mobile browsers, just downsample the image.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

FYI, the cover of v1 is already present. One can easily click the novel illustrations to see more pics, however one cannot easily close his eyes and forget what he saw. How spoilerific or whether is it a teaser is subjective. What you consider to be mild or not even a spoiler at all may be considered otherwise by others.

Thanks for your comment; I'm not pissed. I am however quite pissed whenever I get spoiled.
cyrix22
Astral Realm

Post by cyrix22 »

You're welcome :)
Thanks for listening...
RennanNT
Astral Realm

Post by RennanNT »

I have to disagree for the same reason: spoilers.

As cyrix22, I like to look at the covers before deciding my next series. Opening every illustrations pages not only make this harder, but also means having a look at the other images, where the REAL SPOILERS are. Imagine how many times worse is to glance at the finishing blow or the kiss at the end of the volume, when you just wanted to see the cover before reading the book (which is the correct order, btw).

The problem with wide screen could be solved by putting the cover at the left side of the chapters, but if you must remove them, at least put the covers in a session on the bottom of the page or create a new page for covers alone.
JinglesFTW
Astral Realm

Post by JinglesFTW »

In my opinion the Cover Illustrations only provide as much information as the names of the Volumes themselves, however i do understand that some might find that the corroboration of the two could reveal too much. I personally still find it more of a teaser not a spoiler.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

I agree that the covers are more like teasers, though it's not like mahouka needs such teasers to generate interest. The problem is when a particular illustration posted as the cover not just acting as a teaser but prompted people to start discussing spoilers of yet to be released paperbacks. That's why i removed the covers to curb the 'curiosity ' and the urge to spoil. And also created a ninendo thread for people to discuss spoilers. You guys never saw the posts because i deleted them.

But if the general consensus is to have them, then fine. Do what you like, i don't care anymore, since i need to get away from the future spoilers.
royaloyalz
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by royaloyalz »

Hmm unfortunately I was also one of those who preferred having the front covers of the volume on the wiki page, but if the project supervisor's are against it, than I guess they have the right to choose what they want.
Don't you just love reading? I think it is one of the joys of life, where we can escape the cold reality of the world and exist in something so much more fun and exciting! ^_^
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Well I don't want to be a dictator. If everyone wants it back, let it be so (I'm not going to do the work though). I was just trying to think of what's best for the project. Mou shiranai ssu.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Putting covers at the left gave horrible results.

There's also this code that can be used, and it looks a bit better :
[[Image:MKnR v01 cover.jpg|thumb|150px|text-top]]

=== Volume 1 ===

:*Chapter X
:*Author's Notes

<br style="clear:both"/>

[[Image:Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 02 000cov.jpg|thumb|150px|text-top]]

=== Volume 2 ===

:*Chapter X
:*Author's Notes

<br style="clear:both"/>
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
deizrouge
Astral Realm

Post by deizrouge »

how about posting the covers in a spoiler link that opens when you click on it, that way if you want it its one click away if you don't you just dont click it =P
Devenk83
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Devenk83 »

Uh... Deizrouge, the wiki isn't a forum, we don't have a Spoiler Code. And the link that you're talking about it's the illustrations pages, as Larethian said.

And I don't understand why you're so much against the cover in the project page, Larethian. After all, whatever you're Japanese, Chinese or English ( and more... ), isn't it the front cover the first thing you see when you take a book ? If the illustrations contain spoiler, it isn't the fault of the supervisor of the project, but it's directly the fault of the illustrator and the edition company.
Ancien traducteur amateur EN/FR / Ex-Amateur EN/FR Translator

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”