Mahouka-Does it become simpler later

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka-Does it get better later? (@volume 1)

Post by larethian »

ArchmageXin wrote:First of all, there is no need to start flaming. I was only asking a question.

I really don't care if a series come with a ton of boob fondling and panty shots. If they want to go that route, they go, if they don't, they don't.

Like I said, he can make up a ton of pseudo-science, but as far as I can tell, non of it has any value other than filling up space in his world. The work of psion is interesting, but they can't keep filling the chapter with this kind of information. You are very right there are some underling detail about the interest in family line, quite a bit of prejudice targeting the MC due to his magic limitations, and something foreshadowed about his dad using him as a slave, but in the end, it is being crowded out by his wonder-science.

It is like my old college professor, who would fill the class with stories of his youth at a major stock exchange for 20+ min, then suddenly say, "by the way, the way to execute a double split trade with a call option is...."

larethian, you don't need to get defensive. I fully appreciate the amount of effort you made into the series (and everyone know my contribution to baka is way behind yours). I am only asking people if at certain point, the author cut the science to a readable limit and focus on the story, and not on puedo magic or a history lesson on the 21st century equivalent of a spoon.
Hmmh? I didn't really get defensive :? . I know not everyone likes everything, and I'm rather sure you won't like it for the exact opposite reason of why I like it. Maybe my feathers get ruffled a little by the misleading title of this thread :roll: , but I do have the best of intentions for you and for us all to avoid reading this series and start a chain of complaints of what the author shouldn't be doing in what he wants to do. :D And the fact is, this is what he wanted to do all along, getting published was certainly not on his agenda when he started writing Mahouka.

On a side note, if you know me, I'm rather objective in my evaluations of any series. Sure I can have some bias since I'm human, I admit this, but I never claim what I love to be godly and the best thing in the universe (looking at the Index fanatics and SAO fanatics and also Mahouka fanatics :lol: ). To me, Mahouka's weaknesses are in characterizations, Denyuuden's weaknesses are in literary expressions and not very creative way of injuring its characters :lol: , etc. etc. I criticize even the series I love.

Anyway, I very much disagree with the fact the details on magic do not add to the story, because if you have a clear look on what the story is centered on, they do. Maybe other details might be a bit too much, but with respect to magic, not necessarily so. This is about an irregular in magic high school, and why he is an irregular and so on and so forth. As a matter of fact, there are actually a lot of repetitions to the details (though written a bit differently from time to time), which helps reinforce understanding on the system of magic. The system of how magic works is one of the main component that defines this series. It will be meaningless otherwise. (and the best part is he's not trying to write BS when thinking out this - except for some of Tatsuya's OP skills which are in danger of plot holes right now :lol: ) And not to mention the fights will become incomprehensible, especially when Tatsuya's OP is not explained (and in ushers a new group of haters if that happens :lol: ). The fact that you don't agree with this point (i.e the importance of the details) simply shows that the series is not for you. Coming back after trying to advance further in the novels and then saying that you skipped a bunch of stuff and then making a judgement on the series is highly unfair to it in my opinion. That's why, since it's highly obvious that this is not for you from someone who knows the contents well, I advise you to stop reading and making more unnecessarily comments based on incomplete information. I'm completely cool with the fact that you don't like it. Just like how code-zero is cool with me in not liking DxD, or how xxxx is cool with me in not believing SAO is the greatest thing ever written, and so on and so forth for other series. Even though the number of people liking this is overwhelmingly high (aside from Otakus, it has the support of mainstream audience), the number of people who don't like it because of the info dump are not few and far between either, based on native comments on boards. So it's totally cool 8) We're cool right? 8)

EDIT: as for the harem comment of mine, it's just general sarcasm and not directed to you in particular.
Niflheim
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Niflheim »

larethian wrote: ... - except for some of Tatsuya's OP skills which are in danger of plot holes right now :lol: ) ...
Witch! Witch! Burn the witch!
Everyone clearly wants a Kira Yamato type character :lol:

Sorry, could not resist the urge :P
Riso raknar, rann álfraudull, nordr at niflheim
nióla sótti; upp nam ár Giöll Úlfrúnar nidr,
hornþytvalldr Himinbiarga

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Give me KanColle in english please Kadokawa Games!
ArchmageXin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ArchmageXin »

larethian wrote:
ArchmageXin wrote:First of all, there is no need to start flaming. I was only asking a question.

I really don't care if a series come with a ton of boob fondling and panty shots. If they want to go that route, they go, if they don't, they don't.

Like I said, he can make up a ton of pseudo-science, but as far as I can tell, non of it has any value other than filling up space in his world. The work of psion is interesting, but they can't keep filling the chapter with this kind of information. You are very right there are some underling detail about the interest in family line, quite a bit of prejudice targeting the MC due to his magic limitations, and something foreshadowed about his dad using him as a slave, but in the end, it is being crowded out by his wonder-science.

It is like my old college professor, who would fill the class with stories of his youth at a major stock exchange for 20+ min, then suddenly say, "by the way, the way to execute a double split trade with a call option is...."

larethian, you don't need to get defensive. I fully appreciate the amount of effort you made into the series (and everyone know my contribution to baka is way behind yours). I am only asking people if at certain point, the author cut the science to a readable limit and focus on the story, and not on puedo magic or a history lesson on the 21st century equivalent of a spoon.
Hmmh? I didn't really get defensive :? . I know not everyone likes everything, and I'm rather sure you won't like it for the exact opposite reason of why I like it. Maybe my feathers get ruffled a little by the misleading title of this thread :roll: , but I do have the best of intentions for you and for us all to avoid reading this series and start a chain of complaints of what the author shouldn't be doing in what he wants to do. :D And the fact is, this is what he wanted to do all along, getting published was certainly not on his agenda when he started writing Mahouka.

On a side note, if you know me, I'm rather objective in my evaluations of any series. Sure I can have some bias since I'm human, I admit this, but I never claim what I love to be godly and the best thing in the universe (looking at the Index fanatics and SAO fanatics and also Mahouka fanatics :lol: ). To me, Mahouka's weaknesses are in characterizations, Denyuuden's weaknesses are in literary expressions and not very creative way of injuring its characters :lol: , etc. etc. I criticize even the series I love.

Anyway, I very much disagree with the fact the details on magic do not add to the story, because if you have a clear look on what the story is centered on, they do. Maybe other details might be a bit too much, but with respect to magic, not necessarily so. This is about an irregular in magic high school, and why he is an irregular and so on and so forth. As a matter of fact, there are actually a lot of repetitions to the details (though written a bit differently from time to time), which helps reinforce understanding on the system of magic. The system of how magic works is one of the main component that defines this series. It will be meaningless otherwise. (and the best part is he's not trying to write BS when thinking out this - except for some of Tatsuya's OP skills which are in danger of plot holes right now :lol: ) And not to mention the fights will become incomprehensible, especially when Tatsuya's OP is not explained (and in ushers a new group of haters if that happens :lol: ). The fact that you don't agree with this point (i.e the importance of the details) simply shows that the series is not for you. Coming back after trying to advance further in the novels and then saying that you skipped a bunch of stuff and then making a judgement on the series is highly unfair to it in my opinion. That's why, since it's highly obvious that this is not for you from someone who knows the contents well, I advise you to stop reading and making more unnecessarily comments based on incomplete information. I'm completely cool with the fact that you don't like it. Just like how code-zero is cool with me in not liking DxD, or how xxxx is cool with me in not believing SAO is the greatest thing ever written, and so on and so forth for other series. Even though the number of people liking this is overwhelmingly high (aside from Otakus, it has the support of mainstream audience), the number of people who don't like it because of the info dump are not few and far between either, based on native comments on boards. So it's totally cool 8) We're cool right? 8)

EDIT: as for the harem comment of mine, it's just general sarcasm and not directed to you in particular.

Ah, fair enough, I got what I needed. I don't doubt this is a good series. (People interest/translation speed), but it is clearly not my cup of tea at his level of....details.

And for the record, I didn't skip everything. I just skipped when they start doing their techo jumbo for more than a few lines. (Usually when I hear the CAD/psion and other buzzwords show up, follow up waves, energies and what now).
Breakers
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka-Does it become simpler later

Post by Breakers »

you may believe it or not.
but i skip many info dump in this novel.

and the reason i still read this novel is because of the Plot, politics, and mysteries.
i don't really like the action though.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

No.

TBH, if you are skipping the info dumps and the explanations, it's probably not some kind of novel you like to read.

Also, if you keep reading a series you don't like, you'll be a lot more aware of its flaws, which could make it even less likable.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
ShaRose
Astral Realm

Post by ShaRose »

Personally, I love the info dumps. I really like to read an LN and know as much about the world as I can: It's one of the reasons I enjoy the Elder Scrolls series of games, for example. Hell, I almost want 'more' detail. I'd be quite willing to read a book 'solely' focused on how, say, the knowledge to create an activation sequence was discovered, and how the first CAD was developed. Why is it they require materials from areas with high elevation where there were ancient civilizations? Those sorts of questions are the kind I see as more plot-holey than compared to tatsuya's abilities.
Spoiler! :
With his regrowth ability, it explains how it's basically him looking through the history of eidos (which others can do as well, and sometimes to greater ability than tatsuya: high level hackers can seemingly read through history changes on remote computers with references derived from connections), and then simply causing those prior states to overwrite the current state. Most magic works by creating a state and overlaying it, which works but eidos will recover from this foreign data. This actually opens up an interesting question on whether there could be an activation sequence that causes change but manages to fool this source checking to make it so the change lasts forever, but how eidos can detect foreign data hasn't been explained and may not be known. With regards to decomposition (such as material burst), it's simply a more advanced form of magic that already exists (breaking things down to smaller pieces), although it's a high enough jump over existing techniques that it has a wow factor. Both of these are allowed because of the unique makeup of the Yotsuba family due to the history of the family itself.
All of that spoiler is stuff I remembered about tatsuya's abilities off-hand from only two readings, and the fact that I can talk about details of a fictional world like that, and be backed up by the source is AWESOME as far as I'm concerned.
popocatepetl
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by popocatepetl »

It takes a lot of creativity to create/think up this information in a way that it still makes sense without going overboard. I think it is one of the stylistic charateristics of Mahouka to have info dumps about magic and all that that distinguishes it from other novels, what with Tatsuya always explaining things and wanting to become a magic engineer.

To me, if it was a simpler novel, it would take away of the quality that makes it stand out from the rest. If it becomes simpler, it might appeal to a wider audience but at the same time become part of the rest.

It all boils down to individual taste.
If only the finest birds in the forest dared sing, how quiet the forest would be.
-William W. Purkey
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

I think Archmage's question has already been resolved. :P
ArchmageXin wrote: Ah, fair enough, I got what I needed. I don't doubt this is a good series. (People interest/translation speed), but it is clearly not my cup of tea at his level of....details.

And for the record, I didn't skip everything. I just skipped when they start doing their techo jumbo for more than a few lines. (Usually when I hear the CAD/psion and other buzzwords show up, follow up waves, energies and what now).
So yea, this topic can be locked now.
Brian_Hail
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Brian_Hail »

@ OP

For me, I feel the author went into so much depth at the start was so that later on in the series the author wouldn't have to waste so much time writing explanations for so much magic related spells and concepts as the foundation would have been covered early on. Die-hard fans of the series who would understand completely everything to do with magic (Think Trek fans) and when mentioning a magic spell and what system it belonged to would understand how it worked without the author having to waste pages going through it all.

I have noticed with a lot of the newer volumes there are less explanations being dedicated in the story.
crisisavatar
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

I find the explanations simple and interesting. I can see how that wouldn't be the case for someone coming in not necessarily curious about the mknr world, just yeah move on if you don't like it because it probably does get simple but in many aspects it will remain the same.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”