Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - The Anime

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - The Anime

Post by Zuruumi »

However it might be hard to turn Mayumi into a popsicle :twisted: .
Anyway, the worst portrayed character in the anime is deffinitelly Fujibayashi. I can´t help but think this is a completely different person. From dashing and kind of FREE (japanese way) woman into a midleaged secretary...
Psion
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Psion »

I have to admit when i first saw her in the anime I was like... who is that? why does she have a speaking role? it wasnt until they said her name that i knew who she was supposed to be
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

I know, right! I really like her in the LN and wouldn't mind if she were the one to get together with Tatsuya. I think her banter with Tatsuya is even better than the one with Mayumi.
Psion
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Psion »

Maybe they will represent her as more dynamic when she is working as the electron sorceress... I dont like the near-split personality representation that this type of portrayal lends itself to (and think it is used FAAAAAR too often), but it would still be an improvement in this case.

Also, it seems like the monolith code section is likely to be only 2 episodes... that is a vast relief. Then another two episodes or so to cover the end of the NSC... the pacing hasnt been as horrible as I thought it would be. Though to be honest, the end of the NSC would have been an excellent place to end the first season had the content they included been more representative of the LN during the same portion.
maqhusson
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Post by maqhusson »

Everyone's complaining about the anime, so I might as well.

I also hate the anime's pacing. Tatsuya's engineering prowess isn't pronounced as it should have been in my opinion, and I don't think they included the important interactions in the light novel. Also, I think their portrayal of the magics used is sub-par. I personally watched a few episodes of the anime before reading the Light Novel, but the Light Novel's explanations and interactions are vastly superior. The characters also seem a bit off for me, mainly Miyuki and a bit of Mayumi. Miyuki doesn't seem as graceful and mature as some mentioned, and Mayumi seems less quirky and sassy, which I personally loved about her character. A lot of it feels off.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to say it =/.

Anyways, despite the flaws, I still look forward to it every Saturday because it's Mahouka. Looking forward to the Monolith Code finals.
nr42 wrote:I know, right! I really like her in the LN and wouldn't mind if she were the one to get together with Tatsuya. I think her banter with Tatsuya is even better than the one with Mayumi.
I do enjoy her interactions with Tatsuya, but I feel Tatsuya and Mayumi go together better. I feel their personalities are somewhat similar, which is why his interactions with either are entertaining for me.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
deanimation
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by deanimation »

In volume 4, during the fight between Masaki and Tatsuya.
Did Tatsuya used elemental sight in that battle at all? even once?
I recently watched episode 16 of the anime and during that fight,
Tatsuya used elemental sight around 09:00 of that episode.
Maybe I overlooked that part in the LN or
maybe he used another power or something and I mistakenly assumed it as elemental sight.
crisisavatar
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

I don't remember him using elemental sight also, his regen, yes.

In any case that was a very fun fight to see ( if you can ignore the times where they would look at each other for reassuring smiles ... ).
Aniih Detsu
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Aniih Detsu »

I've been watching the anime since it began and I think, as someone who already read the LN, this show is so-so.

Actually I only started to read the novel by the time everybody knew it would become animation, in the end, without notice, I read all twelve volumes in twenty days :mrgreen: . You can say I fell in love with the way the story is developed, depth of their personalities and technologic atmosphere (I'm an IT professional. They talk about variables!!! :o ).

Back to the topic, the anime will never reach, in any aspect, the LN.[This is my opinion].

(2) I watch because is Mahouka.

Read a chapter is way more exciting than any episode I watched (even 16). Although, in my heart, to see them walking, hear them speaking has its merits.

(I'm not a native speaker... so... there must be some misspelling...^.^)
Psion
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Psion »

Spoiler! :
Tatsuya relied on his five senses to detect their trajectory and deftly used his physical techniques to avoid them as he continued to advance towards Masaki.
Unable to advance straight forward, the dozens of yards between them became an insurmountable wall for Tatsuya.

"So, he's finally reached the point where he can't hold back any more."
Seeing Tatsuya forced into a corner, Yamanaka actually remarked happily.
"Please be serious, sensei. Even Tatsuya-kun can't rely on only his five senses to completely detect the early warning signs of magic invocation and Invisible Bullet. Given the current situation, we can still use a 'sixth sense' as an excuse in place of 'Eye of the Spirits'."
At Fujibayashi's vigorous defense, Yamanaka smiled devilishly.
"Really? That's true, while he can fool those third and fourth rate scrubs...... It's hard to imagine he could pull a fast one under the eyes of that gentleman."
Also:
Yet in this instant, he had to dispel 16 shots.
Even though Tatsuya instantly made the call that Gram Demolition wasn't going to make it in time, he resolutely refused to use "Decomposition". He stubbornly stuck to his orders to keep classified magic under wraps.
He hid the fact that he was capable of "decomposing" information structures through "Gram Dispersal" and met the attack with "Gram Demolition".
The ensuing result was a given.
After bringing down 14 of the shots, the last two hits struck home on Tatsuya's body.
And finally
"Indeed, Ichijou-kun is simply too tough an opponent with a low quality CAD. I think that even Flash Cast would be legitimate here."
"Single Systematic Flash Cast, eh. Oh well, at least he managed to keep our secrets."
The ones who wanted Flash Cast to remain a secret were the Yotsuba Family and not the Independent Magic-Equipped Battalion. This ability was considered too unethical for even the military to adopt.
Perhaps in the Japanese it has slightly different connotations, but in the baka-tsuki translation, I am not sure he used either elemental sight OR flash cast.=
deanimation
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by deanimation »

You guys are right. He definitely didn't use elemental sight.
I didn't overlook some things in the LN after all.

http://aoi.arkvid.tv/s/53cab88127bd4.mp ... 1405839412
Well, here's a link of the episode. Please skip to 8:50.
That's the part where it looks like he used elemental sight.
Psion
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Psion »

Ill amend my earlier point.

The narration notes that Flash cast is a Yotsuba secret while the comment by Yamanaka immediately prior is talking about Tatsuya managing to hide 'our' (we can assume this refers to the 101's) secrets, thus perhaps could imply that in addition to the Self-repair he also used something else which could be considered a secret - but not one of the 101's secrets - thus it was likely flash cast was used. I was placing too much emphasis on Fujibayashi's comments and the 'even flash cast' (which I inferred meant it had not been used, but a case for its use could have been made) - likely this is somewhat clearer in the original.

I dont think there was anything to indicate elemental sight was used, but after rereading this portion and changing my view about flash cast (from the definitely not to the quite possibly so), I am not so eager to make the call lol.

What else might be covered in the first season? We are currently up to episode 16 and have covered 4 and 3/4 volumes. I had assumed that the rest of the NSC might be over in 2 episodes; that is still possible, but it could also be 3 depending on the pacing. The first 2/3 of Volume 5 is almost fluff to be honest.... some of this is quite likely to be cut entirely while other portions would be better suited to an OVA or two. This is particularly clear when we look at the number of episodes remaining versus the likely content.

Volume 6 and 7 are really very difficult to split up over two seasons without doing severe injustice to the script, also, given the current pacing, it is plausible that even were the entirety of vol 5 covered within season 1, then volume 6 would be started before we ended the first season. Therefore it is likely that volumes 6 and 7 will be covered. The final battle will be 2 or perhaps 3 (I am hoping 2) episodes.

Given there are between 24 and 26 episodes in a full season, there are an additional 2 to 6 episodes outside of the NSC and Yokohama fights (26-16-2-2=6 ; 24-16-3-3=2) , we can assume at least 1 of these will be about the election, and at least 1 or 2 will be about the lead up to the theory portion at yokohama. Given this rather tight pacing, i doubt a lot of the early part of vol 5 will be covered in the season proper.

Also, if the season only lasts 24 rather than 26 episodes, we can only really hope that they do not cover yokohama.... otherwise it will result in horrible pacing. If it lasts 26 episodes and omits a lot of the early vol 5 content (hopefully covered in OVAs), this could have a very rewarding structure.
deanimation
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by deanimation »

Psion wrote:Ill amend my earlier point.

The narration notes that Flash cast is a Yotsuba secret while the comment by Yamanaka immediately prior is talking about Tatsuya managing to hide 'our' (we can assume this refers to the 101's) secrets, thus perhaps could imply that in addition to the Self-repair he also used something else which could be considered a secret - but not one of the 101's secrets - thus it was likely flash cast was used. I was placing too much emphasis on Fujibayashi's comments and the 'even flash cast' (which I inferred meant it had not been used, but a case for its use could have been made) - likely this is somewhat clearer in the original.

I dont think there was anything to indicate elemental sight was used, but after rereading this portion and changing my view about flash cast (from the definitely not to the quite possibly so), I am not so eager to make the call lol.
Right, since you pointed that out. It kind of bugs me now.
That's why I reread the LN again and pinpoint that part in the episode where I assumed he used elemental sight.
It seems to me that he really did use some skill to read the early magic activation sequences AND pinpoint the exact location of where the magic will be activated.
This was Fujibayashi's line in the LN (Chapter 10, volume 04) after that part.
Spoiler! :
"Please be serious, sensei. Even Tatsuya-kun can't rely on only his five senses to completely detect the early warning signs of magic invocation and Invisible Bullet. Given the current situation, we can still use a 'sixth sense' as an excuse in place of 'Eye of the Spirits'."
Fujibayashi statement in the anime (from CR)
"To fully detect both the early signs of magic activation and those invisible air bullets with just the five senses would be impossible, even for Tatsuya. Besides, in this situation, a valid case could be made that he used a sixth sense, rather than Elemental Sight."

Was that skill elemental sight, some variation of it ,or that so called "sixth sense" that they mentioned?
Maybe I'm overthinking of this. lol
I always assumed that skill where he read activation sequences is part or something similar to his elemental sight.

Psion wrote:Volume 6 and 7 are really very difficult to split up over two seasons without doing severe injustice to the script, also, given the current pacing, it is plausible that even were the entirety of vol 5 covered within season 1, then volume 6 would be started before we ended the first season. Therefore it is likely that volumes 6 and 7 will be covered. The final battle will be 2 or perhaps 3 (I am hoping 2) episodes.

Given there are between 24 and 26 episodes in a full season, there are an additional 2 to 6 episodes outside of the NSC and Yokohama fights (26-16-2-2=6 ; 24-16-3-3=2) , we can assume at least 1 of these will be about the election, and at least 1 or 2 will be about the lead up to the theory portion at yokohama. Given this rather tight pacing, i doubt a lot of the early part of vol 5 will be covered in the season proper.

Also, if the season only lasts 24 rather than 26 episodes, we can only really hope that they do not cover yokohama.... otherwise it will result in horrible pacing. If it lasts 26 episodes and omits a lot of the early vol 5 content (hopefully covered in OVAs), this could have a very rewarding structure.
I think it was stated in this website
http://mantan-web.jp/2014/04/26/2014042 ... 5000c.html
that Madhouse will be covering volumes 01 - 07. Plus, the second opening of the anime showed scenes from volumes 6-7.
We can only hope Madhouse can do the pacing right.
maqhusson
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Post by maqhusson »

I'm pretty sure I recall 'Eye of the Spirits' being another name for Tatsuya's Elemental Sight.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

I think he haven´t used it and they were just saying, that even for him it is impossible to do better than this, but I am not sure, and he might have used it. As for flash cast, well his restoration is using flash cast, so he definitely used it (and his final atack might have used it too, as they were talking about him being careful by calibrating his CAD for this type of magic).
By the way, as long as I pretend the anime is about some different LN series and forget all of the basics about magic the episode 16 was quite enjoyable, the action was good (though as I mentioned it was largely different from how it should have looked in the ln) :).
acolyte
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by acolyte »

Was that Elemental Sight he used in the Monolith Code? It's been so long since I read the LN I forgot.
Personally I think the anime is well-executed. It could be better but as you all know the value of Mahouka is not in the flashiness but the mechanics, the explanations, the monologues.
It's just one of those that doesn't translate well to anime. Not many wants to watch an anime where they explain how A and B works and one person talking. They'd rather watch SAO where they just swing swords left and right with some drama as a touch.
For that I applaud the studio and screenwriter for sacrificing the minimum amount of content possible. It could be worse.
There's a lot of scenes that could be better, shouldn't be cut out, or even some that're not needed. But someone has to make the decision, and overall I think they did a good job. Not amazing, but at least good.

Let's sit back and enjoy. At least we got some stuff animated ;) Some of my fav LN authors don't get their stuff animated at all :\

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”