Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - The Anime

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Minru
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - The Anime

Post by Minru »

from the look of the anime I am guessing that they decided to end it on scorched Halloween and then had to compress or cut so much to make it happen. At least there is no filler. Some things they do not plan to explain got the creative treatment, like demon right in the novel was turned to demon light in the anime. Pretty obvious they do not plan to explain the significance of demon right, divine left. I think they cut to much but I can't see how they could have gotten more content into 26 eps. overall I would rate it a pass, but if you liked the anime you will love the books.
maqhusson
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Post by maqhusson »

nr42 wrote:No, there was pain, but it happened in a scene before this one. The scene where he revives members from Yanagi's unit.
My bad, I didn't remember Yanagi's scene all too well. But still, I still feel that Tatsuya grinding his teeth isn't very indicative of the pain he goes through. As long as they explain it the episode this week, I'll be alright with it.
Minru wrote:I think they cut to much but I can't see how they could have gotten more content into 26 eps. overall I would rate it a pass, but if you liked the anime you will love the books.
The anime first got me into the books, and then led me to be disappointed with the rest of the anime. However, although it would be hard to place in more content, I feel that the content they removed was sometimes more important than the content they decided to keep. I also feel they somewhat changed the meaning of a few scenes here and there. But again, I personally loved a lot of Tatsuya and co's inner dialogues, which added a lot to the LNs for me, which I find hard to translate into anime format. That's one of the reason the anime feels so lacking to me; the background information on the world, magics, and other things of the like drew me in quite a bit, the explanations of which I feel wouldn't necessarily be great to include into an anime.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
Niflheim
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Niflheim »

Been a while :)
Felt like ranting over the small train wreck that was this adaption, imo at least, then I figured it all boils down to production budget and, sad as it may be, MKNR as a franchise doesn’t seem to be that big. It gets/becomes even more obvious when you spent the past 3 months watching SAO’s GGO arc before MKNR, the difference in quality in adaption is scary :shock:, really scary. Can’t help to feel that people picking up the novels after watching this anime will feel cheated in a sense.
maqhusson wrote: The anime first got me into the books, and then led me to be disappointed with the rest of the anime. However, although it would be hard to place in more content, I feel that the content they removed was sometimes more important than the content they decided to keep. I also feel they somewhat changed the meaning of a few scenes here and there. But again, I personally loved a lot of Tatsuya and co's inner dialogues, which added a lot to the LNs for me, which I find hard to translate into anime format. That's one of the reason the anime feels so lacking to me; the background information on the world, magics, and other things of the like drew me in quite a bit, the explanations of which I feel wouldn't necessarily be great to include into an anime.
I can see how you felt disappointed with the anime after having read the novels. Even if I’m a stickler for keeping to the source material no matter what I accept changes when they are needed going from one media to another, but they cut some serious corners with this one. It was kind of inevitable when they wanted to cram in 6 volumes of books into 26 episodes. Sadly it kind of made certain bits they kept feel sort of out of place and missing their point of reference as a whole.
Riso raknar, rann álfraudull, nordr at niflheim
nióla sótti; upp nam ár Giöll Úlfrúnar nidr,
hornþytvalldr Himinbiarga

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Give me KanColle in english please Kadokawa Games!
TheLaG
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TheLaG »

Anime finished :roll:

At least last episode was more or less ok, lacked emotions in some crucial conversations, but in general, packed with action everywhere! As for next season, I hope it will be only Visitor Chapters I-III in 24/26 series, and hope "Reminiscence" volume will be covered in like 2-4 OVAs with volume 5 chapters :)
maqhusson
Void Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Post by maqhusson »

Ah, I have mixed feelings about the ending. Been waiting o long for Scorched Halloween this season, and it was one of the things in this anime that I was most satisfied with (talking about the flagpole material burst).

Mistranslations and missing content aside, I'm still really happy it got an anime, because at the very least, it's provide publicity for the series. On top of that, the ones who only watched the anime are most-likely satisfied; I think I'd have liked it quite a bit more if I hadn't read the novels. I'm sure that there will be more people reading the novels now the first season's over, so I'm happy about that.
Roses are red
Violets are violet
I've got a gun
Get in the van
Niflheim
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Niflheim »

TheLaG wrote:At least last episode was more or less ok, lacked emotions in some crucial conversations, but in general, packed with action everywhere! As for next season, I hope it will be only Visitor Chapters I-III in 24/26 series, and hope "Reminiscence" volume will be covered in like 2-4 OVAs with volume 5 chapters :)
Next season ey? Well, I guess stranger things have occurred before. If they see good BD sales, which from what I’ve seen hasn’t been anything special after the first release, or if the LN sales increased due to the anime they might decide to make a second season. What I’ve seen on LN sales as a whole the series is selling well, how much influence the anime had time to have is impossible to say since the vol. 13 sales are also included in the same time period.
maqhusson wrote:I'm still really happy it got an anime, because at the very least, it's provide publicity for the series. On top of that, the ones who only watched the anime are most-likely satisfied; I think I'd have liked it quite a bit more if I hadn't read the novels. I'm sure that there will be more people reading the novels now the first season's over, so I'm happy about that.
The problem with poorly made adaptions is that once people that only seen the anime, if they liked it, picks up the first arc of the novels to give it a read they notice all the bits that were left out, changed aso. If the difference is too great you risk getting a negative backlash. All publicity is not always good publicity.
Riso raknar, rann álfraudull, nordr at niflheim
nióla sótti; upp nam ár Giöll Úlfrúnar nidr,
hornþytvalldr Himinbiarga

-- Hrafnagaldr Óðins

Give me KanColle in english please Kadokawa Games!
danv
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by danv »

Just watched the anime in about 3 days. I felt it stuck pretty close to the LN. My only complaint would be that it felt insanely rushed. So many scenes felt cut out or cut short which is understandable when you realize that they had to get to scorched halloween in 26 episodes. They should have aimed to get to the end of the Nine Schools Competition in that amount of time.

But instead, just as I get into any cool fight scene they cut away as if this is Godzilla... Happened in the fight with Hattori at the start and then later in the kenjutsu club subjugation the scene ends very early on. So many memorable scenes from the LN got this treatment that I felt was too bad. Would definitely have been happier if the anime wasn't so rushed.
agentx80
Astral Realm

Post by agentx80 »

danv wrote:But instead, just as I get into any cool fight scene they cut away as if this is Godzilla... Happened in the fight with Hattori at the start and then later in the kenjutsu club subjugation the scene ends very early on. So many memorable scenes from the LN got this treatment that I felt was too bad. Would definitely have been happier if the anime wasn't so rushed.
If i remember well the fight against Hattori was extremely short in the LN since the only thing that happened was Tatsuya rushing on Hattori and casting one magic that took down Hattori so nothing was cut in the anime for that part. For the fight against the kenjutsu club I read that part again in the LN and even in the LN it was cut and we never read how the fight was stopped so I believe it would be weird to ask the anime to do something the original material did not do.
crane
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crane »

I enjoyed the anime & found out about the novels after a few episodes; liked the novels very much. Also was surprised on how much the anime matched the novels.

Now, I cannot be the only person that has read a novel & saw a movie made "from or of" the novel; never saw a movie version that matched or resembled the novel or play. "Updated" versions to more current time are the worst. Much details are missing as how can thoughts be translated while the actions occur or descriptions of the environment when some people already felt that the beginning of MK was too slow (even into episode 18) & without much action (fighting(?)).

The only "downer" on the anime for me was that I felt frustrated, mistreated & cheated was that each episode ended too soon; the credits started rolling before I was ready for it as the time went by too quickly.
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

Niflheim wrote:
TheLaG wrote:At least last episode was more or less ok, lacked emotions in some crucial conversations, but in general, packed with action everywhere! As for next season, I hope it will be only Visitor Chapters I-III in 24/26 series, and hope "Reminiscence" volume will be covered in like 2-4 OVAs with volume 5 chapters :)
Next season ey? Well, I guess stranger things have occurred before. If they see good BD sales, which from what I’ve seen hasn’t been anything special after the first release, or if the LN sales increased due to the anime they might decide to make a second season. What I’ve seen on LN sales as a whole the series is selling well, how much influence the anime had time to have is impossible to say since the vol. 13 sales are also included in the same time period.
[...]
I think this is basically putting things in a catch-22. If the anime did well enough to fuel a second season, we'll get more of the same rushed scenes. Meh.
chowbish
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by chowbish »

agentx80 wrote:If i remember well the fight against Hattori was extremely short in the LN since the only thing that happened was Tatsuya rushing on Hattori and casting one magic that took down Hattori so nothing was cut in the anime for that part. For the fight against the kenjutsu club I read that part again in the LN and even in the LN it was cut and we never read how the fight was stopped so I believe it would be weird to ask the anime to do something the original material did not do.
Well the fight against Kenjusu club, had moments where it describes Tatsuya dodging all 10 individual's attacks, while at other times, he will somehow skip through all of them at once when they try to corner him. They could have shown like 30 seconds of that during the anime I guess.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Well, although this is described in the book, it isn´t in the same part as the fight description, but in later part as a retrospect, therefore it was expected they cut it.

As I have already said, the thing I lacked the most about this anime were Tatsuya´s thoughts. Of course the thing the anime lacks most compared to the LN are the descriptions of the world and the almost perfect logic, which seems like something quite suited for hard science-fiction and is rarely seen in any fantasy, but that is unfortunatelly impossible to stufff into an anime.

As for the pacing, although we will always feel that adaptations should get double their alloted time, in this particular case I think the time was enough. However it is a truth, that the scenes should have been less shortened. In short, there were scenes that would be OK to completely cut out or shorten, and there were scenes that should have been given a bit more time and talking.

Well my final impression after watching all of the episodes of this series is, that as long as you take it as an adition to the book it was good (quite faithfull to the original etc.) however if you watch it by itself you will propably feel, like it is rather boring and hardly average pice of work, which considering what it is adaptation of is a pity.
crisisavatar
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

I think the biggest thing missing in the anime were Tatsuya's development, special note for the entire "we look down on you" part of that equation.
Riddam
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Riddam »

Zuruumi wrote:Well, although this is described in the book, it isn´t in the same part as the fight description, but in later part as a retrospect, therefore it was expected they cut it.

As I have already said, the thing I lacked the most about this anime were Tatsuya´s thoughts. Of course the thing the anime lacks most compared to the LN are the descriptions of the world and the almost perfect logic, which seems like something quite suited for hard science-fiction and is rarely seen in any fantasy, but that is unfortunatelly impossible to stufff into an anime.

As for the pacing, although we will always feel that adaptations should get double their alloted time, in this particular case I think the time was enough. However it is a truth, that the scenes should have been less shortened. In short, there were scenes that would be OK to completely cut out or shorten, and there were scenes that should have been given a bit more time and talking.

Well my final impression after watching all of the episodes of this series is, that as long as you take it as an adition to the book it was good (quite faithfull to the original etc.) however if you watch it by itself you will propably feel, like it is rather boring and hardly average pice of work, which considering what it is adaptation of is a pity.
So, what? Are you saying that even though it's in the novels it shouldn't be in the anime? Did you know that Sword art online progression came out after the regular books, they still managed to put the content into the anime. If you want to see an example of an anime that lets the viewers hear characters' inner monologue then look at Grisaia no Kajitsu, half of the show is the viewer listening to what the main character is thinking. Don't say it's impossible and casually brush away the notion with such ease. If you as an anime director are unable to come up with ways to represent all aspects of the story with adequacy then you fail, it's as simple as this, let someone else do it. Obviously some works are harder to adapt properly than others, but Mahouka was just a weak effort in all kinds of ways.
crane
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crane »

So, how much was allocated to produce Sword Art Online? What was allowed to spend for Mahouka Koukou?

Even for the graphics, MK was close to monochrome & the colors were mostly for the uniforms of the 3rd High.

Also how much time was available to produce each show for comparison?

Even when movie box office grossing don't state what the ticket prices were for the movie. I think that prices have gone at least doubled since I've been to a movie theater; so the movie gross comparison from then to now is not a good comparison, especially when the number of people viewing the movie in a theater.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”