Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

SkyZenith
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by SkyZenith »

I've also been thinking about this, but I think approaches without Magic could be useful if done fast and accurately enough. Like that sniper more than a kilometre away from him wasn't noticed until the actual bullet was almost there, we could go somewhere along those lines that would specifically target Tatsuya, like for example a Tatsuya-homing missile or something. Just a wild idea from me.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

No , he would deffinitelly notice the missile to (if nothing more) be able to prevent instant death. It is also an interesting question, how fast his self restoration work. If it is fast enough he might be able to for example activate the restoration before his brain is damaged (like the bullet being expelled from his head just after it cracks the bone and much sooner than it menages to damage the brain).
Guest2
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Guest2 »

bacon123 wrote:The answer to your Question
By the way, when I am talking about Tatsuya, would Tatsuya die if you destroyed his head? I mean, yeah, he has his self restoration magic which is ultra-fast so if you destroyed all of his body he would still survive, but how will the magic activate if you destroyed the brain?
Is yes if Tatsuya brain is destroyed/damaged (if damaged is to the Eidos area then his self restoration won't work) as the magic can't be cast as the brain is dead/gone or damaged to a point where his subconscious can't cast the magic for him.
nr42 wrote:I don't think the sleeping matters specifically for the activation of the Restoration, because when Miyuki knocked him unconscious, he still regenerated, while unconscious. But I agree that destroying his brain would prevent the magic from activating.
The novel states that the brain is separate to the mind, the mental and spirit body which houses the mca. The parasites are also stated to use the same magic as humans without a brain. So it is actually still unclear whether his magic would not work without his brain. And so far Tatsuya only states he would be revived in nearly every case before actual death. There is nothing yet in the novel that indicates brain damage prevents magic activation in Tatsuya's case, and only things indicating it might not.

I personally believe the real question is Would the magic activate fast enough before the point of actual 'death' occurs?
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Well the problem is, that according to the novel the state of "being dead" needs some time to stabilize (or something along this lines) so if you don´t evaporate him instantly, I think it would make it.
I think, that just getting him into a situation where he will continuously die every time he recovers is the surest method to killing him. Well unleashing a strategic class magic at his location might work too, but you would have to not allow him to stop the magic as weel as its effects, and also stop him from mounting anything similar to a defence (as even partial shielding or something like that might give him enough protection to survive by restoring his body couple of time) and that might proove to be too hard.
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Guest2 wrote:I personally believe the real question is Would the magic activate fast enough before the point of actual 'death' occurs?
How would you try to achieve this point of actual 'death'?
Shawne03
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Shawne03 »

why do alot of people forget that Tatsuya specializes in over the horizon sniping which would be his best strategy in a fight to the death, and keep putting him in close to mid range combat. If he wanted you dead you would be before you could do anything.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

No the problem is of course not how many thoasands of means he is capable of employing to take you down. The discussion we are having is about:"How insanely disadvantageous sitiuation would we have to create to take him down?". It is just about the possibble means to his destruction (this kind of seems similar to Campione, Tatsuya being in the role of a god though, never fight him if you are not in absolute advantage and even then you can win only with luck).
Guest2
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Guest2 »

nr42 wrote:
Guest2 wrote:I personally believe the real question is Would the magic activate fast enough before the point of actual 'death' occurs?
How would you try to achieve this point of actual 'death'?
The true tested way used for every other zombie monster. Once you do get the drop on him, you continue your attack until he cannot get back up.

He's not a god, just a monster. Magic cannot be used infinitely and he gets tired like any other magician. Lina, Miyuki, Maya, Ichijou, Juumonji, and Mayumi are all also ridiculous magic wielding monsters compared to all other magicians. Just like Tatsuya, unless they are ambushed, these Master Clan descendants can use magic to make themselves near invincible and can also easily crush man and machine alike in the blink of an eye. Only other similarly powerful magicians would actually be able to take them on in a direct confrontation.

Heck even the side characters are little monsters. The Chiba's pull of high slashes from ridiculous angles, Leo, even without his speciality magic, shrugs off hits from speeding vehicles, Honoka mind wipes hidden policemen as she pleases, Mikihiko can double jump and wields lightening bolts with his feet, and lets not forget Morisaki who lacks actual magic power but can still overpower jacked up gangs due to pure high seed combat senses and skill. First High is really a place where elites have been gathered.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Well, it is true that it might work for your usual zombies, however against zombies capable of instantly vaporizing you it isn´t the wisest tactic. Not even speaking about the fact, that if this particular zombie gets seriously out of controll it might just decide to blow you up together with the whole city (and several other cities aorund) and still maybe survive it. So using tacticts, of which part is as fragile element as a human would be too risky.
crisisavatar
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by crisisavatar »

I am not sure Tatsuya could survive damage to his brain, other than that he is immortal. Also he's not a monster zombie, he's a god ( hint Shiba ).

Those who call him monster just acknowledge who little they understand him and are about to disappear.

Ps. He hasn't abused flash cast in combat yet, look forward to that.
Guest2
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Guest2 »

Zuruumi wrote:Well, it is true that it might work for your usual zombies, however against zombies capable of instantly vaporizing you it isn´t the wisest tactic. Not even speaking about the fact, that if this particular zombie gets seriously out of controll it might just decide to blow you up together with the whole city (and several other cities aorund) and still maybe survive it. So using tacticts, of which part is as fragile element as a human would be too risky.
What does being wise have anything to do with attacking zombies when its normally just a fight for survival? The fact that he could fight back is irrelevant to my suggestion. It doesn't matter if its Tatsuya, a zombie or any other magician, if you decide you must kill, for whatever reason, you should be well aware of any consequences of success or failure to be considered wise.

I'm only saying however you overpower, outcast him or ambush him, whether it be magical or non-magical, mental or physical, once you successfully do it, keep it heavy and don't let up until you've made sure he won't revive once more. Other than that, we already know his magic only undoes physical problems and would not be able to restore direct mental/spiritual body attacks.

crisisavatar wrote:I am not sure Tatsuya could survive damage to his brain, other than that he is immortal. Also he's not a monster zombie, he's a god ( hint Shiba ).
Ps. He hasn't abused flash cast in combat yet, look forward to that.
Well there is nothing in the novel to indicate that he cannot survive brain damage and his own statements indicate that he can survive even fatal attacks. And what do you mean by abusing flash cast? He used it alot in several of his fight scenes, but has no real need of it in combat if he can freely wield his decomposition magic.

Tatsuya is shown to be is susceptible to exhaustion(mental and physical) and well executed non-magical ambushes in the novel like any other person. And while he has a unique set of talents, his restoration ability being the most unique, his abilities at defense, destruction and observing the world via the information dimension is something other talented magicians have been stated to also have or science can reproduce. And there are many other fantastic magic abilities other magicians can pull off that Tatsuya cannot.

So I believe calling him a god would mean that his fellow supremely talented magicians must also be labelled gods, but since he and the other Master Clan powerhouses specialize in causing death and destruction I think I prefer the term monster. And I feel that its his Zombie/restoration attribute/skills that really separates him from the other monstrous magicians. Other than that he is just your typical 16 year old, genius-intellect, jarred combat, research and cutting-edge engineer veteran and sis-con.

The fact that the story and character have elements that are similar or may have be taken from stories of Shiva doesn't mean much to me, since this isn't a story about the god Shiva, but a story about high school magicians.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Where does he use flash cast? I know he does it at some point, but I can't recall when. I also recall him using it only very rarely, since it's just as classified as decomposition and even considered less moral by the military.

What do you see as "direct mental/spiritual body attacks"? Also we don't know if his restoration would be effective on those kind of attacks, since they haven't been used (successfully) on him.
Guest2
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Guest2 »

nr42 wrote:Where does he use flash cast? I know he does it at some point, but I can't recall when. I also recall him using it only very rarely, since it's just as classified as decomposition and even considered less moral by the military.
He rarely uses it for attacks because decomposition magic is so much better, but Tatsuya Flash Casting magic has nothing to the morality problems the military have about it. Their gripe is how one goes about preparing the subject's mind for Flash Cast. In Tatsuya's case that already happened long ago, so its too late for the military to be worried about his human rights. Its stated its the Yotsuba who would be worried if the public found out what they did to him, so Tatsuya usually prepares a cover for it.

He normally uses Flash Cast for small support magics that he would be bad at like Gravity type leaping and flying magics, Move-type bullet deflection or spirit summoning/sealing. When attacking, Tatsuya uses vibration type magics and used it to enhance his melee attacks when he didn't want to display his signature favourite decomposition too much, like the few times in the vamp arc against the USNA soldiers. Unfortunately, due to how weak his artificial MCA that the Flash Casting relies on is, we've seen some magicians easily counter it or just excessive force overwhelm it.
nr42 wrote:What do you see as "direct mental/spiritual body attacks"? Also we don't know if his restoration would be effective on those kind of attacks, since they haven't been used (successfully) on him.
Outer-systematic magics that directly seal or damage a person's mind/soul like the one's Miyuki and Mikihiko are good at, these type of attacks, if successful and not first countered, would be unaffected by Restoration.

It was stated a few times in v8 that Tatsuya's restoration is only able to 'rewind' material matter. And in this novel the mind is theorized to be part of a human's immaterial spirit body. So while its never been stated he cannot, since the mind is not considered to be material matter in this novel, the description given for Restoration indicates it wouldn't work.

Also we should take into account Tatsya's innate MCA carries the Yotsuba trait where he has an excessively enhanced power but no talent for Outer-systematic spirit magic. Although his artificial MCA does allow for some small use or copying(Flash Casting) of such spells, as seen in v4 and v13.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Is it ever said that the spirit body is immaterial? For example, the Parasites aren't immaterial.
Rava
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rava »

nr42 wrote:Is it ever said that the spirit body is immaterial? For example, the Parasites aren't immaterial.
Actually they are. That's why Lina was so ineffective against them when they attack outside of a host.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”