Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Post Reply
User avatar
abbad0n
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:47 am
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by abbad0n »

Guest2 wrote:
abbad0n wrote:This is just speculation that the boss of Zhou was a survivor of Dahan. Unless "Dahan" is the same as "Great Han" from the end of Vol. 12 Chpt 15 that Zhou was talking about?
Yeah, I believe its DaiHan and the Dai translates to Great. But I'm assuming the Yotsuba already killed Maya's actual kidnappers and Zhou's boss is one of the probably many previous DaiHan citizens who hold a grudge against the clan who brought DaiHan to ruins.


Then the side story in Volume 8 which uses Dahan and Volume 12 which uses Great Han (Dai Han?), which should be used?
User avatar
keztrel8
Astral Realm

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by keztrel8 »

I don't think Kouichi knows that Zhou is connected to DaHan.
and Maya didn't lost her emotions,
it's just that after she sleeps, everything that happened yesterday become memory without emotions attached (just recollection).
Kouichi and Maya broke up because Maya can't have child anymore.
kaie08
Mikuru's Master
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:01 pm
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by kaie08 »

keztrel8 wrote:I don't think Kouichi knows that Zhou is connected to DaHan.
and Maya didn't lost her emotions,
it's just that after she sleeps, everything that happened yesterday become memory without emotions attached (just recollection).
Kouichi and Maya broke up because Maya can't have child anymore.


Actually Maya doesn't lose emotions in any way, she's as "normal" as everyone else, it's just that to save her from the immense shock of her torture/rape Miya changed all her past memories of the time (she was 12 y/o or something) to events with no strings attached.
She pretty much "lost" those years of her life and blames Miya for having killed that part of her existence .. but from that point onward she's had a normal life
User avatar
crisisavatar
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:10 pm
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by crisisavatar »

Been a while so I don't remember but I think the way it was is that Maya was reprogrammed to view her life as data, I don't remember any specific that said it was only her past.
Guest2
Devoted Haruhiist
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:24 am
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by Guest2 »

abbad0n wrote:Then the side story in Volume 8 which uses Dahan and Volume 12 which uses Great Han (Dai Han?), which should be used?
The Japanese words used in both volumes definitely uses 'Dai' -大漢-. So I can understand how the translation discrepancy came about, but since I have no actual Japanese language skills I cannot say which is the correct pronunciation. Google says Dahan.


crisisavatar wrote:Been a while so I don't remember but I think the way it was is that Maya was reprogrammed to view her life as data, I don't remember any specific that said it was only her past.
Yeah it was quite specific and a detailed explanation was given by Miya. The father asked Maya's experiences be turned into knowledge and Miya explained to her sister that her memories were just transformed from one type to the other, experience type to knowledge type.
User avatar
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:04 am
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by nr42 »

Anybody else hoping for Tatsuya to pummel some sense into Kouichi?
User avatar
abbad0n
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:47 am
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by abbad0n »

nr42 wrote:Anybody else hoping for Tatsuya to pummel some sense into Kouichi?

I'm hoping Mayumi does. She needs to get past her fear of her old man.
User avatar
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:04 am
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by nr42 »

But that raises an important question: how would they fare against actual grownup magicians ? Except for Tatsuya, of course. For example, Miyuki,Mayumi,Mari or Katsuto against Maya or Koichi or other heads of the Ten Families.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:35 pm
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by Zuruumi »

I guess Kouichi should fare ok, Miyuki would have to do her best just to survive and the rest wouldn´t have any chance.
Flash
Vice Commander Itsuki
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:40 am
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by Flash »

nr42 wrote:But that raises an important question: how would they fare against actual grownup magicians ? Except for Tatsuya, of course. For example, Miyuki,Mayumi,Mari or Katsuto against Maya or Koichi or other heads of the Ten Families.


The grownup leaders must be the top magicians but Miyuki and the others can fight against them, their magic power is sufficient . Tatsuya is the only one able to beat Maya though. Nobody can stop her but him.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:35 pm
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by Zuruumi »

I don´t think Mayumi would have much of chance if her old men is in the same league as Maya.
caiooa
Kyonist
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:26 pm
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by caiooa »

Using fg terms, a lot would be about matchup, and not "who is the strongest". Tatsuya says himself that he wouldn't be able to keep up with Erika's older brother speed. In other moment, he says that him fighting agains katsuto would end in a installment/draw because of the matchup. And it's the same for him vs maya...it's just that his specific abilities are a perfect counter to her.
And seeing that "magic is not the only miracle" in this fictional world...there's a lot of room for "irregulars"
The_Great_Galendo
Literature Club Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:54 pm
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by The_Great_Galendo »

nr42 wrote:But that raises an important question: how would they fare against actual grownup magicians ? Except for Tatsuya, of course. For example, Miyuki,Mayumi,Mari or Katsuto against Maya or Koichi or other heads of the Ten Families.

Of course we cannot know for sure, since outside of one brief and not terribly serious conflict between Tatsuya and Maya, none of these characters have faced off against their elders. That being said, it was either outright stated or at least strongly implied at one point (sorry, I forget where, but it probably would have been volume 8 or later) that each successive generation is, as a whole, stronger than the one before. This means that the best of the younger generation have more potential than the best of the older generation. So we should assume that, eventually, the children will be able to best their parents.

Of course, the older generation are presumably more experienced, so it's hard to make a direct comparison, to say nothing of the rock-paper-sissors effect that seems to be in play here when people from different families fight. Long story short, we don't have enough information on the older generation's capabilities to make an educated guess that goes farther than
1) Tatsuya and Miyuki would probably win in a one-on-one battle against any of the adults.
2) Maya would probably best any of the other children.
3) The more experienced/talented of the children (Mayumi, Katsuto) should be able to beat their own parents, or at least give them a good run for their money.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:35 pm
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by Zuruumi »

Well the elevating talent was stated there, but it was also stated that it won´t get greater infinitely, to add the talk is about overall talent of generation not about individual one and it should be rather minor difference (almost nothing compared to the experience or physical capabilities).
As for the rock-paper-scisors effect mentioned, as the question was about whether they would stand any chance against their own family heads, it doesen´t apply too much, as all the other families except of Yotsuba have inherent talents so they should propably fight in the same style as theyr children.

About the chances mentioned, I wouldn´t be so sure about Miyuki winning against Maya. It is true that Miyuki is strong, but her style should be quite weak against Maya and as Maya is one of the strongest magicians in Japan she shouldn´ t be even capable of interfering with her magic, so it is highly likely that she would lose (well if Maya wanted to kill her) as she has no means of stopping Mayas light magic.

By the way, I kind of feel like Kouichi should win quite easily. Though his parents werent mentioned there wasn´t any mentioning of them being on the same level as Maya and he seems to have quite a lot of real combat experience etc. plus his magic seems to be quite taxing for the body, so he should have great advantage.
User avatar
shido
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:38 pm
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by shido »

Zuruumi wrote:Well the elevating talent was stated there, but it was also stated that it won´t get greater infinitely, to add the talk is about overall talent of generation not about individual one and it should be rather minor difference (almost nothing compared to the experience or physical capabilities).
As for the rock-paper-scisors effect mentioned, as the question was about whether they would stand any chance against their own family heads, it doesen´t apply too much, as all the other families except of Yotsuba have inherent talents so they should propably fight in the same style as theyr children.

About the chances mentioned, I wouldn´t be so sure about Miyuki winning against Maya. It is true that Miyuki is strong, but her style should be quite weak against Maya and as Maya is one of the strongest magicians in Japan she shouldn´ t be even capable of interfering with her magic, so it is highly likely that she would lose (well if Maya wanted to kill her) as she has no means of stopping Mayas light magic.

By the way, I kind of feel like Kouichi should win quite easily. Though his parents werent mentioned there wasn´t any mentioning of them being on the same level as Maya and he seems to have quite a lot of real combat experience etc. plus his magic seems to be quite taxing for the body, so he should have great advantage.


If Miyuki and Maya were to fight, it would all boils down to how fast Miyuki can cast Cocytus before Maya can cast her unique ability. I don't see a way for anyone to be able to block either of those magics.
Post Reply

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”