Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Guest2
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mahouka - Double Seven Arc : Volume 12

Post by Guest2 »

nr42 wrote:Is it ever said that the spirit body is immaterial? For example, the Parasites aren't immaterial.
The human mind, the spirits used in ancient magic and the parasites are all described as pushion based. The novel glossary definition of pushios and psions include that they are non physical entities. The living human mind/soul is suggested to even exist in another dimension.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Guest2 wrote:
nr42 wrote:Is it ever said that the spirit body is immaterial? For example, the Parasites aren't immaterial.
The human mind, the spirits used in ancient magic and the parasites are all described as pushion based. The novel glossary definition of pushios and psions include that they are non physical entities. The living human mind/soul is suggested to even exist in another dimension.
Yeah, but it is only a theory, it is not stated directly. And also, there is the thing in V1 when he states, that Miyuki is uncapable of harming him in the real sense of the word. This might be because of her feelings, but I think it is supposed to mean, that whatever she does he can restore his body. In other words, even Miyuki´s cocytus can´t harm him.
kyuudere
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by kyuudere »

Zuruumi wrote: Yeah, but it is only a theory, it is not stated directly. And also, there is the thing in V1 when he states, that Miyuki is uncapable of harming him in the real sense of the word. This might be because of her feelings, but I think it is supposed to mean, that whatever she does he can restore his body. In other words, even Miyuki´s cocytus can´t harm him.
Does that mean he can restore from other Mental Interference Magic such as Grim Reaper by reading / loading Eidos Backup Data ?
I mean....while he could stores Eidos Backup Data for Information Bodies (his real body). he also can stores Eidos Backup Data for his mental / consciousness ? Is it even possible ?
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Who knows? And it is also a question, whether the mental interference magic cause problems in their brain or the "immaterial part", as long as it is in the brain it should be quite possible.
Guest2
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Guest2 »

Zuruumi wrote:Yeah, but it is only a theory, it is not stated directly.
Its a theory which means nobody really knows the truth about psions, pushions and the mind and that's why Maya was so interested in the vamps. But so far from what happened in the vamp arc Tatsuya states he believes the theory is correct.
Zuruumi wrote:And also, there is the thing in V1 when he states, that Miyuki is uncapable of harming him in the real sense of the word. This might be because of her feelings, but I think it is supposed to mean, that whatever she does he can restore his body. In other words, even Miyuki´s cocytus can´t harm him.
Do you mean in v8? I know he made a similar statement when little Miyuki was worried about him going to battle, but he didn't specifically say Miyuki. And while it could still be as you say, he could just as well be talking about only physical harm. And we already know for sure Miyuki has the ability to suppress his powers.

Zuruumi wrote:Who knows? And it is also a question, whether the mental interference magic cause problems in their brain or the "immaterial part", as long as it is in the brain it should be quite possible.
Its not really a question. The first novel explains Outer-systematic magic like mental interference is a category that deals with manipulating spirits. And the vamp arc showed this was quite true in the case of the human mind/spirit. The brain can be affected because the human mind/spirit have a connection with it.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

But there was also an influence in their material body, as we can see from the results of the autopsy. If you reverted the material body to the moment before contacting the parasite it might be possible, that he would get separated from you..., maybe.

Anyway, I was refering to this:
In reality, wasn't this exactly like a pair of innocent siblings playing around?

At the end of the day, his sister was incapable of actually doing something that could cause him harm.
but after rereading it it was propably only refering to her feelings, I propably got it mixed up with another part of the story, which I don´t know where is.
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Guest2 wrote:
I understand what you mean, but he's capable of killing the vamps by striking the information in the Idea. You're presenting a false dichotomy: just because something isn't physical, doesn't mean it can't be interfered with. The author doesn't consider psions and pushions physical, but magic can interfere with/destroy/change them. Especially Tatsuya's signature magics. That means that his magic could possibly alter those.
Guest2
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Guest2 »

nr42 wrote:I understand what you mean, but he's capable of killing the vamps by striking the information in the Idea. You're presenting a false dichotomy: just because something isn't physical, doesn't mean it can't be interfered with. The author doesn't consider psions and pushions physical, but magic can interfere with/destroy/change them. Especially Tatsuya's signature magics. That means that his magic could possibly alter those.
I agree it would be completely wrong for me to say his innate magics do not work on the immaterial, but that's not it. I never suggested Tatsuya himself could not interfere with them, only that his innate magics do not work on pushion core bodies and pointed out that for Regrowth, it was emphasized by Tatsuya in v8 to only be able to 'rewind' material matter. Although, I admit it does work by first restoring the immaterial psion-based Eidos, so the possibility yet remains. For Decomposition, Tatsuya specifically states its impossible in v10c8 due to the vamp already being in its simplest state.

And while Yakimo did suggest Tatsuya could destroy a new born spirit, Tatsuya concludes in v11c16 its almost too difficult for him to kill the vamps and that he can only cripple them using his psion-based Gram Demolition/Far strike attacks.
Zuruumi
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Well we have to consider also the fact, that it was the first time he came into cantact with something like that. Also I kind of feel, that his unability to cope with them was a bit forced (which makes this arc my least favourite one) as it was done more because of the needs of the story than because of logic. Well, I kind of get the thing, that if he could destroy them in a second it would be kind of boting, but even so...
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

I found the whole concept of the vamps a bit forced. They are already in their simplest state, yet their are complex enough to move, communicate,... They pop out from another dimension and for some reason they want to procreate, which apparently they didn't do in their original dimension or if they did without finding humans and performing some ritual that might kill them. But apparently they just know that this'll work.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”