Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Villain
Astral Realm

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Post by Villain »

Zuruumi wrote:
Spoiler! :
as, you know, their best magician is defeated twice in a row by high scholers in 1 vs 1 (and this two aren´t even sure to win against Japanese elites, yet they don´t seem to have too much of hard time with her).

I was always under the impression that Lina was just a strategic class mage that America kind of declassified, not their best magician.
Ulrick
Kyon's Imouto-Chan
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Ulrick »

Lina is Sirius, who is supposed to be their best Magician.
And btw, it is expected to the new generation to be better than the previous one.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Generation, not each individual.
shido
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

Villain wrote:
Zuruumi wrote:
Spoiler! :
as, you know, their best magician is defeated twice in a row by high scholers in 1 vs 1 (and this two aren´t even sure to win against Japanese elites, yet they don´t seem to have too much of hard time with her).

I was always under the impression that Lina was just a strategic class mage that America kind of declassified, not their best magician.
They declassified that Angie Sirius was one; however, people don't know what she really looks like under the mask.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Villain wrote:I was always under the impression that Lina was just a strategic class mage that America kind of declassified, not their best magician.
I think so to. Just because she's strategic class, doesn't mean she's that strong overall (I think)(I mean she could be). Look at the official strategic class magician of Japan. As long as she's away from the see. I don't think she's that much use. That's how Yotsuba Maya can be one of the strongest of her generation, without being strategic class.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Isn´t it stated somewhere that she is the strongest? And anyway, if they were to treat her only as something similar to Nuklear Bomb, then they would never send her on any misssions like purging the dezerters or infiltration into another country.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Zuruumi wrote:Isn´t it stated somewhere that she is the strongest? And anyway, if they were to treat her only as something similar to Nuklear Bomb, then they would never send her on any misssions like purging the dezerters or infiltration into another country.
Which was an extremely bad decision, since she's unable to think rationally in the field. And all it says in chapter 9 is that she's captain of the world's strongest unit.

EDIT:" My bad, it says in volume 11:
"Therefore she had been selected as the captain of Stars, the position which cared neither for age nor gender but was given to the USNA’s strongest based on power alone."

And while checking up on this I found that apparently there are 3 strategic class magicians in the USNA!
:o
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

nr42 wrote:
Zuruumi wrote:Isn´t it stated somewhere that she is the strongest? And anyway, if they were to treat her only as something similar to Nuklear Bomb, then they would never send her on any misssions like purging the dezerters or infiltration into another country.
Which was an extremely bad decision, since she's unable to think rationally in the field. And all it says in chapter 9 is that she's captain of the world's strongest unit.

EDIT:" My bad, it says in volume 11:
"Therefore she had been selected as the captain of Stars, the position which cared neither for age nor gender but was given to the USNA’s strongest based on power alone."

And while checking up on this I found that apparently there are 3 strategic class magicians in the USNA!
:o

That quote from v11 says it right there. Based on power alone she is strongest. But she doesn't have the experience yet to fully harness that power. On the otherhand Tatsuya has had a lot more combat experience and knows his power much better. He is also a heck of a lot more strategic than her which is why he could beat her. that really is Lina's downfall. She may have the most power but she just doesn't have the other stuff to go with it yet.

As for the fight against Miyuki a similar thing comes into play there. While Miyuki may not have much combat experience she still has a lot of training and she does have a good mind for battle(though not as good as Tatsuyas).

So in the end once Lina gets more experience under her belt and matures some she will be a lot more dangerous.
kaie08
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by kaie08 »

"the position which cared neither for age nor gender but was given to the USNA’s strongest based on power alone"

Like Japan it's likely that the truly strongest USNA magicians, the likes of clan heads, (we know there's a somewhat similar system even in America from Kudou's brother marriage) don't belong to the military and so aren't counted against Lina as competitors for the title of strongest.
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

kaie08 wrote:"the position which cared neither for age nor gender but was given to the USNA’s strongest based on power alone"

Like Japan it's likely that the truly strongest USNA magicians, the likes of clan heads, (we know there's a somewhat similar system even in America from Kudou's brother marriage) don't belong to the military and so aren't counted against Lina as competitors for the title of strongest.
You bolded the wrong part there. The part you should have bolded was 'power alone'.
nr42
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Gohankuten wrote:As for the fight against Miyuki a similar thing comes into play there. While Miyuki may not have much combat experience she still has a lot of training and she does have a good mind for battle(though not as good as Tatsuyas).

So in the end once Lina gets more experience under her belt and matures some she will be a lot more dangerous.
So you're saying that Miyuki has more training and experience than the head of Stars? No matter what training Miyuki's had it's not going to be on the level of actual military training.

Also could it be that "the strongest based on power alone" could just be talking about her Strategic power and although she's obviously very powerful, not about her general magical power?
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Gohankuten »

nr42 wrote:
Gohankuten wrote:As for the fight against Miyuki a similar thing comes into play there. While Miyuki may not have much combat experience she still has a lot of training and she does have a good mind for battle(though not as good as Tatsuyas).

So you're saying that Miyuki has more training and experience than the head of Stars? No matter what training Miyuki's had it's not going to be on the level of actual military training.

Also could it be that "the strongest based on power alone" could just be talking about her Strategic power and although she's obviously very powerful, not about her general magical power?
I said similar not the same. I honestly don't know which would have had more training between Lina and Miyuki but Miyuki definitely has a better mind for battle I think. As for whether its strategic power or general magic power I don't know but all I can say is Lina just hasn't grown into the power yet. Once she masters using her power then it will actually mean something.
Villain
Astral Realm

Post by Villain »

As for unwanted possibilities I'd hate to see Mihiko get less action in the next volume with all the new characters
SkyZenith
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SkyZenith »

I think Lina just does not have the mindset of a soldier, which kinda lowers her morale in battles while Miyuki is always in the mindset of 'all for Onii-sama' which in turn gives her high morale. It all comes down, in my opinion, to what you think you are doing it for. Lina will be stronger in the near future if she would have set a goal for herself (there's not many goals to have if you have been at the top already), in this case since she knows that there would be people that are more capable, she would have goals to actually reach. As for Miyuki, since she has a goal in mind already, it actualizes her power to its peak for the goal ahead of her.

Quite vague, but it is hard to explain for me. I could think about these stuff in my head but hard to say. :D

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”