Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Serania » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:13 am

NewAgeOfPower wrote:The US is portrayed as self-serving at best, backstabbing false ally at worse...

Even if you say they just do their self interest, tresspassing allied country and doing illegal military action already make them as a aggressor. With the current tense situation in Asia and middle east I doubt they want to worsen the situation.

Gohankuten wrote:I just can't see it doing too well in the NA market due to the large implication of incest. Generally NA doesn't even like to think of the possibility of incest. Too many close minded idiots here.

Why NA doesn't want incest in they country. Aren't USA even legallized same gender relation in some of their state..?

The reason i could think NA won't licenced Mahouka are MC itself (Tatsuya). Where you can find a highschool student who can shoot others without even raise a brow or blink. With many case about mass shooting in NA i think they won't taking risk for this.

Borderose wrote:I wouldn't mind this getting licensed. If this gets an official translation, I'd definitely buy the volumes. This series deserves all the money I throw at it.

I also doesn't mind at all. It mean more people realize how great this story is. But it also mean someone from a third world country (my own way to see this world) like me, it will make it almost impossible to get a copy of the book version.
What I also afraid are something called "westernization" that change the content of story so far to fitting western audience.
Serania
Kyonist
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 am

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Rava » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:29 am

Clearly, someone has not watched Hunger Games... =X
Rava
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Serania » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:44 am

Rava wrote:Clearly, someone has not watched Hunger Games... =X


On what basis you comparing mahouka with hunger game...?

setting in both work are largely different. hunger game are setted as a colosseum where they fight to the death and mahouka are setted as a high school student. Hunger game story are a death match where you kill others because they're forced to do it. My friend, the problem is even though mahouka use a fictional theme like "magic", they're so real life. Unlike Harry Potter who used magic wand, flying broom or invicible cloak; in mahouka they using tools called CAD who often shaped like weapon (Handgun, rifle, sword) because in mahouka magician are often associated with military. From normal reader or someone who reading mahouka for their first time, they will think the MC (tatsuya) in mahouka are fall in category of psychopath who bring a gun when he's walking to school.

Do you catch what I mean..?
Serania
Kyonist
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 am

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Mahesvara » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:28 am

Serania wrote:
Rava wrote:Clearly, someone has not watched Hunger Games... =X


On what basis you comparing mahouka with hunger game...?

setting in both work are largely different. hunger game are setted as a colosseum where they fight to the death and mahouka are setted as a high school student. Hunger game story are a death match where you kill others because they're forced to do it. My friend, the problem is even though mahouka use a fictional theme like "magic", they're so real life. Unlike Harry Potter who used magic wand, flying broom or invicible cloak; in mahouka they using tools called CAD who often shaped like weapon (Handgun, rifle, sword) because in mahouka magician are often associated with military. From normal reader or someone who reading mahouka for their first time, they will think the MC (tatsuya) in mahouka are fall in category of psychopath who bring a gun when he's walking to school.

Do you catch what I mean..?


Wow, you just completly missed his point. I beleive he is pointing out a book were the main antagonist is the American government and just happens to be one of the biggest book serries in America.
Mahesvara
Elite Haruhiist
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Gohankuten » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:47 am

Mahesvara wrote:
Serania wrote:On what basis you comparing mahouka with hunger game...?

setting in both work are largely different. hunger game are setted as a colosseum where they fight to the death and mahouka are setted as a high school student. Hunger game story are a death match where you kill others because they're forced to do it. My friend, the problem is even though mahouka use a fictional theme like "magic", they're so real life. Unlike Harry Potter who used magic wand, flying broom or invicible cloak; in mahouka they using tools called CAD who often shaped like weapon (Handgun, rifle, sword) because in mahouka magician are often associated with military. From normal reader or someone who reading mahouka for their first time, they will think the MC (tatsuya) in mahouka are fall in category of psychopath who bring a gun when he's walking to school.

Do you catch what I mean..?


Wow, you just completly missed his point. I beleive he is pointing out a book were the main antagonist is the American government and just happens to be one of the biggest book serries in America.

Nah I think the point he was making is having a MC being the age of a highschool student that commits lots of murder. Either way Americans don't give a heck about a book that has violent acts being committed. Like I said I think the biggest qualm an American audience would have with this series is the strong incest implication from Miyuki and Tatsuya which is why I don't think this series would do too well in the American market since there are so many close minded idiots here.
User avatar
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Serania » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:47 am

Mahesvara wrote:Wow, you just completly missed his point. I beleive he is pointing out a book were the main antagonist is the American government and just happens to be one of the biggest book serries in America.


And you also misunderstand what I mean.
First let me ask you. What do you want to comparing mahouka with hunger game..? He only say "someone doesn't watch hunger game". Of course there's many interpretation for that statement. If you mean the antagonist, I will say it also the american government (prior to mahouka vol. 9-11) and i not read hunger game novel (I just watch some episode of it's film).

What I mean is the setting in both work that largely different. Hunger game using post-apocalypse setting where you can only submit to the ruler (president, king or something) personal wimp. It's similar to WW II when russia soldier are forced to charge forward to germany machine gun, otherwise they will considered a traitor and will be shooted by their superior. Mahouka instead using a high school setting that having many similarity to real world. The issue is tatsuya as the MC. If you read all of mahouka LN up to vol 12, sometimes you will think "he is a psychopath.?". Tatsuya was created without a single emotion other than his love for miyuki. He will destroy half of the world if miyuki want it. He also won't even blink his eye when he shoot someone.

Just think about this, a high school student who freely bring a gun to his school come to your classroom and start shooting like a maniac. You don't want that, right.?
Recently, there's a mass shooting in NA with many student as a victim. When police caught the suspect, it always reported by mass media because of an outside stimulus like video game or film.
Let's assume mahouka get licensed in NA and one day there's a mass shooting in a certain high school. When police catch the suspect they will doing some investigation in his house and in a chance they found mahouka LN in his desk. After a series of interogation, the suspect are saying that he inspired by the MC who kill an terrorist in his country. Tell me who will get disadvantaged..? It will be the publisher right.? It will hit NA publisher very hard, but it won't damaging mahouka publishing in Japan since they doesn't legalized gun ownership unlike NA. Japan having the smallest crime percentage in the world thanks to their strict law.
Serania
Kyonist
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 am

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Mahesvara » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Serania wrote:And you also misunderstand what I mean.
First let me ask you. What do you want to comparing mahouka with hunger game..? He only say "someone doesn't watch hunger game". Of course there's many interpretation for that statement. If you mean the antagonist, I will say it also the american government (prior to mahouka vol. 9-11) and i not read hunger game novel (I just watch some episode of it's film).

What I mean is the setting in both work that largely different. Hunger game using post-apocalypse setting where you can only submit to the ruler (president, king or something) personal wimp. It's similar to WW II when russia soldier are forced to charge forward to germany machine gun, otherwise they will considered a traitor and will be shooted by their superior. Mahouka instead using a high school setting that having many similarity to real world. The issue is tatsuya as the MC. If you read all of mahouka LN up to vol 12, sometimes you will think "he is a psychopath.?". Tatsuya was created without a single emotion other than his love for miyuki. He will destroy half of the world if miyuki want it. He also won't even blink his eye when he shoot someone.

Just think about this, a high school student who freely bring a gun to his school come to your classroom and start shooting like a maniac. You don't want that, right.?
Recently, there's a mass shooting in NA with many student as a victim. When police caught the suspect, it always reported by mass media because of an outside stimulus like video game or film.
Let's assume mahouka get licensed in NA and one day there's a mass shooting in a certain high school. When police catch the suspect they will doing some investigation in his house and in a chance they found mahouka LN in his desk. After a series of interogation, the suspect are saying that he inspired by the MC who kill an terrorist in his country. Tell me who will get disadvantaged..? It will be the publisher right.? It will hit NA publisher very hard, but it won't damaging mahouka publishing in Japan since they doesn't legalized gun ownership unlike NA. Japan having the smallest crime percentage in the world thanks to their strict law.


I do agree that the two worlds are different but the point being made previously in this thread was that because the USNA was in an atagonistic stance it wouldn't sell well in America. It was from this that s/he compared Mahouka to the hunger games. About the other point, a peson shooting up a school and finding a Mahouka book in his house thus hurting the publisher, I find ludicrous. I do not believe that a normal people will shoot up a school because s/he read or played something violent. If anything it would be because of a mental issue that leads to people kill because of such reasons, and I personally don't think those people should have access to weapons.
Mahesvara
Elite Haruhiist
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Serania » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Mahesvara wrote:About the other point, a peson shooting up a school and finding a Mahouka book in his house thus hurting the publisher, I find ludicrous. I do not believe that a normal people will shoot up a school because s/he read or played something violent. If anything it would be because of a mental issue that leads to people kill because of such reasons, and I personally don't think those people should have access to weapons.


As I also feel ridiculous for that point. I believe in the goodness of a person and only a psychopath would think like that. But there's a quote in my country that says "a Crime does not always happen just because of the perpetrator's intention, but also because of the opportunity". In my country someone could kill another person just because they brushed for each other. About mental issue, let me ask you first, do you know when you're going to die.?(I'm so sorry saying this). You couldn't know about that right.? That's same with mental issue. There's no telling when you get it. A normal person who work in monday can become crazy in saturday for any reason.
About weapon problem. tell me my friend, how hard to someone get a weapons in NA..? From what I know even a 17 years boy can buy a gun from a weapon shop in town. It even doesn't count from black market.And even you can't buy it, your parent certainly have at least 1 in home. And what about drugs and alcohol.? You doesn't need to be crazy to start shooting people. Just like that bold quote : you don't always need a intention to do a crime but also because of a rising opportunity.
I'm what you can call a planner, designer or an advisor. My job demanding me to look things from a worst possibilities.
Serania
Kyonist
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 am

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Mahesvara » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:14 pm

I did not mean to say people do not kill because of drugs, alcohol, sudden anger, or the plethora of other reasons including race and religion. I was just saying that I do not think that Mahouka could lead to someone killing someone else, thus tarnishing the book/publisher, unless that person has a mental issue known or unknown.
Mahesvara
Elite Haruhiist
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Serania » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:45 pm

I also think like that to you know :D . It's just a kind of "worst" speculation/possibbilities i can think of. I truly hope something like that will never happen.
Serania
Kyonist
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 am

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Mahesvara » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Serania wrote:I also think like that to you know :D . It's just a kind of "worst" speculation/possibbilities i can think of. I truly hope something like that will never happen.

So you're being a Debbie Downer? :D Well I do agree that thanks to the way the media in America portays shootings it really could hurt Mahouka if something like that happens.
Mahesvara
Elite Haruhiist
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Serania » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:15 pm

well. looks like it's the end of violence reason. let's talk about another reason shall we..?
Gohankuten wrote:I just can't see it doing too well in the NA market due to the large implication of incest. Generally NA doesn't even like to think of the possibility of incest. Too many close minded idiots here.

Why..? American citizen will probably accept this kind of relationship. Aren't america government even legalizing same gender relation in some of its state..?
And I don't think mahouka already fall to incest category. It's true there's a huge implication of incest in there but it never happened right.? since it a one-side burning love (miyuki love tatsuya and she even want to bone him. But i doubt tatsuya will cross that line). In my oppinion mahouka are only fall to strong family love/relationship
Serania
Kyonist
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 am

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Rava » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

Gohankuten wrote:
Mahesvara wrote:Wow, you just completly missed his point. I beleive he is pointing out a book were the main antagonist is the American government and just happens to be one of the biggest book serries in America.

Nah I think the point he was making is having a MC being the age of a highschool student that commits lots of murder. Either way Americans don't give a heck about a book that has violent acts being committed. Like I said I think the biggest qualm an American audience would have with this series is the strong incest implication from Miyuki and Tatsuya which is why I don't think this series would do too well in the American market since there are so many close minded idiots here.


It's both and more really. No one cares about the main character(s) being non-adults. No one cares about if the series has an anti-American vibe. No one cares if children are armed with weapons and already know how to kill in a story. Publically, sure, it's a sad sad thing and what a SHAME that it happens. But privately? Anyone who makes a fuss over something like that would be viewed as a moron who doesn't have the brain cells to tell reality from fantasy.

The only way it could have a problem is if there was lots of gratuitous nudity and the incest goes beyond the hinting. After all, violence is OK here in the US, but sex (especially underage sex) and incest are immediate drama here.
Rava
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby gradient » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:26 am

Rava wrote:
Gohankuten wrote:Nah I think the point he was making is having a MC being the age of a highschool student that commits lots of murder. Either way Americans don't give a heck about a book that has violent acts being committed. Like I said I think the biggest qualm an American audience would have with this series is the strong incest implication from Miyuki and Tatsuya which is why I don't think this series would do too well in the American market since there are so many close minded idiots here.


It's both and more really. No one cares about the main character(s) being non-adults. No one cares about if the series has an anti-American vibe. No one cares if children are armed with weapons and already know how to kill in a story. Publically, sure, it's a sad sad thing and what a SHAME that it happens. But privately? Anyone who makes a fuss over something like that would be viewed as a moron who doesn't have the brain cells to tell reality from fantasy.

The only way it could have a problem is if there was lots of gratuitous nudity and the incest goes beyond the hinting. After all, violence is OK here in the US, but sex (especially underage sex) and incest are immediate drama here.


well no problems there. no sex till this point. only hinting.
The quantity and quality does not matter... make it big, and make plenty of it.
User avatar
gradient
Literature Club Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:19 pm
Location: Somewhere

Re: Let's Talk About Unwanted Possibilities

Postby Zuruumi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:37 am

Well just the hinting might be too much for many people. Anyway as you discussed earlier about US being antagonist, I think the thing much worse is, that US is more of a hardly-too-dangerous (plainly said if it was a character it would be just a Gangster A, or Middle Class Devil B) country,
Spoiler! :
as, you know, their best magician is defeated twice in a row by high scholers in 1 vs 1 (and this two aren´t even sure to win against Japanese elites, yet they don´t seem to have too much of hard time with her).
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:35 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron