Who is the "real" enemy?

General discussion related to Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Minru
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Who is the "real" enemy?

Post by Minru »

Shiba Tatsurou while vp and majority shareholder is no threat. in volume 3 chapter 2 "This was done to avoid irritating the main house and to protect himself.
This corporation was secretly funded by the Yotsuba Family, so even though he was the majority shareholder thanks to the stocks from his deceased wife, the actual power of attorney still remained in the hands of the Yotsuba Family, hence it wasn't surprising for him to speak softly around them, but...... ".
as long as the Yotsuba family has power of attorney over the shares he inherited from his first wife his power to threaten either his children or the yotsuba is minimal. Miyuki or tatsuya will inherit those shares even if tatsurou has other kids and he cannot sell them either.

Besides he isn't stupid enough to anger the Yatsuba!
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

I think you're misunderstanding the nature of shares, a majority shareholder and the power of attorney. The power of attorney means that the Yotsuba run the company, but the nature of a majority shareholder is that he can take away that power should he want to. And as we've been discussing the Yotsuba could use illegal means to persuade him, but being majority shareholder means you're the big kahuna.
And I asked the question because inheritance law differs greatly between countries. For example traditionally in Japan the eldest son inherited everything. And there are countries in which you can't completely disinherit certain children and there are those where you can.
Psion
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Psion »

The 'Real Enemy'?

The 'Enemy' is they whom stand in the way of you obtaining your goal. Most goals are about either preserving the current state of affairs or changing them, as a result protagonists and antagonists generally revolve around the change-stability axis. An 'Enemy' in fiction is almost synonymous with someone who either represents an ideal of preserving some aspect of the existing order which is portrayed through the narrative as having significant negative implications or else as an agent of change against some aspect of the existing order which is portrayed as having strong positive implications and that either the change outcome or the change process will have strongly negative implications far in excess of any positive aspects originating from the change.

For the 'Real Enemy' that merely implies a fundamental change (or change resistance) or the agent ultimately responsible for instigating or bringing about the conditions, under which others seek change (to resist change).

If looked at that way; within MKnR who are those who most seek change, or who most strongly seek to resist change?

To me it seems there are many who desire different types of changes, while others seek to prevent various changes. Are we assuming some huge conspiracy, and if so is it the one who seeks to impact severely on your own private existence, your immediate surroundings, your wider community, your region, your planet? Is the agent who desires a change, which will have immensely negative implications (which you strongly disagree with) for your immediate surroundings, the 'Real Enemy' in comparison to an agent who desires to prevent a change, which will have moderately negative implications (which you strongly disagree with) for the entire world? Are they not both enemies? How do you determine which is 'real'? They both are.

For the Shiba siblings, Yotsuba leadership (and culture) are undoubtedly the most significant enemy; for the average Japanese citizen the Yotsuba are more like an incredibly frightening ally, instead the Great Asian Alliance is probably considered the most significant enemy.

We do not have to assume that enemies are in some sort of bad-guy hierarchy... that is a little too cliché most of the time.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Yeah, well I kind of get the feeling he author is trying to not create some stereotypical "Bad guy". Well you also forgot to mention the Sages from USA (or wherever they are), they should get more important in the future as they are getting a lot of foreshadowing now.
Minru
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Minru »

well i'm not in the US so it may be different, here power of attorney is what is usually given to someone when the owner is unable to manage like little kids.

As for non stereotypical enemy, I'm all for that. Mostly they are just people going after their own interests. If their interests clash with yours then they are enemies or rivals.

The seven sages are not country specific and we only know one is usna one is great Asian alliance and one is the head of the yatsuba. The other 4 could be from anywhere.
nr42
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nr42 »

Power of attorney in general means you are granted the power to act on someone's behave. In this case on behave of the majority shareholder.
SamuraiNCO
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SamuraiNCO »

In regards to the power of attorney and the shares of the now deceased Miya it is possible that Miyuki actually inherited this and that her father Shiba Tatsurou is in fact only the majority shareholder because she is still a minor. It is also possible that there was a clause that the shares could only be owned by a "Yotsuba" and therefore they would have power of attorney over them even if Tatsurou is majority shareholder in name only. This is probably all pointless speculation in the long run though as Tatsurou seems pretty spineless and seems unwilling and unable to resist the Yotsuba to the point of abandoning his previous fiancee to become breeding stock for them.

I would agree with Mahesvara on the real antagonist in the series.
Spoiler! :
Jiedo Heigu/Gù Jié

It will also be interesting to see who the real power behind the Yotsuba family and the 4th laboratory is. It seems the nations themselves are pawns for these great powers.
Imladir
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Imladir »

SamuraiNCO wrote:Tatsurou seems pretty spineless and seems unwilling and unable to resist the Yotsuba to the point of abandoning his previous fiancee to become breeding stock for them.
Even if I don't really disagree in fine, it's pretty harsh, there's not a lot of people who would say poke to the Yotsuba... And probably fewer still who would survive to tell the tale.
Zuruumi
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zuruumi »

Yeah, well few wish to anger a group of people, that has led one of the strongest nations into utter ruin by themselves "just" because one of their people was treated... well as she was.
maltygos
Astral Realm

Post by maltygos »

there is not "black" and "white" in mahouka so far...

look at maya at the beggining of the series she was ...omg a true devil (at least how she is described by tatsuya/miyuki), but with invasion arc...

inmediate enemies for tatsuya are mayumi´s father and kudou (their concept and practice about magician = military "asset") ,and yatsuba (personal "grudge")

on national level u can consider the asian alliance´s mafia (not sure about their goverment)

and world wide lvl could be the creator of the mega pc that the sages use...
2hayka
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei as of currently

Post by 2hayka »

Reading the whole series thus far, i would say that the REAL REAL enemy of Tatsuya is Maya; his aunt. As mention in volume 8, she has a plan of how to deal/handle him....I bet she plans to use Miyuki in some way...
Favorite LNs: Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru, Spice and Wolf, No Game no Life, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Campione!, Clockwork Planet. There should be more...
smd111
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by smd111 »

2hayka wrote:Reading the whole series thus far, i would say that the REAL REAL enemy of Tatsuya is Maya; his aunt. As mention in volume 8, she has a plan of how to deal/handle him....I bet she plans to use Miyuki in some way...
but as far as i can see the final enemy will be one of the Seven Sages by that i mean Lord Heigu/Jiedo Heigu, aka Gù Jié/leader of the international terrorist organisation 'Blanche' the Black Sage (this is because ever thing so far revolves around this one person aka the Blanche offensive,the attacks at the Nine Schools Competition arc,Yokohama Disturbance arc,Visitor Chapter arc the only thing that was not caused because of this guy is the Steeplechase arc)

or this specific order (if not above with requirements in ()) tho these are vary unlikely
1. Yotsuba Maya (if she decides that Tatsuya must be done away with)
2. Juumonji Katsuto/Saegusa Mayumi (if ordered by the ten master clans conference)
3. Shiba Miyuki(if brain washed by Yotsuba Maya)

mind you this is with out reading Ancient City Insurrection arc
Mahesvara
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mahesvara »

The Yotsuba's sponsors should also be kept in mind.
Hatsunekai
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei!

Post by Hatsunekai »

nr42 wrote:
Zuruumi wrote:While that might be true I think his dad still holds higher position than he does.
He's the vice-president AND the majority shareholder. So he's got more power over FLT than the Yotsuba.
The reason why Shiba Tatsurou is a shareholder is because of the Yotsuba. The Yotsuba own FLT. Hasn't anyone realised the implication, yet? Yotsu = four, ba = leaves, FLT = Four Leaves Technology, haha. If/when Miyuki becomes head, Maya might make Tatsuya in-charge of FLT or make him do some kind of research regarding the realm of 'mind' or have him find the true H-something (I know it's pronounced 'Lij-kaf' from my friend who speaks a few European languages). Maya's plan is to make Miyuki the head but seems to me, she's trained more to be the figurehead compared to Tatsuya who knows almost everything within the Yotsuba, has direct access to Yotsuba line and information, knows the Yotsuba's sponsors, etc.
Hatsunekai
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei!

Post by Hatsunekai »

From what I've read, the "Black Sage" is the enemy but his target isn't Tatsuya or Miyuki, but most-likely the entire Yotsuba, Maya or their sponsors. I recall that he is from Dahan, where the Yotsuba eliminated around 2000 of them as revenge for Yotsuba Maya when they kidnapped and experimented on her. I have a feeling we're getting closer to the parts when Maya will finally show us a thing or two with her powers, after all Jeido Heigu is part of her past and unfinished business with Dahan. Tatsuya and Miyuki are just dragged into this mess although they're the main protagonists of the light novels.

Return to “Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei”