[Ch 3] Mystérique Sign - word clarification

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Nandeyanen
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

[Ch 3] Mystérique Sign - word clarification

Post by Nandeyanen »

Taking my eyes off the steaming Haruhi, I turned to look at Nagato who seems to be wearing opacity optical camouflage.
Is opacity the correct word to use?
GDsMDDLFNGR
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by GDsMDDLFNGR »

Here's the actual text...
不透明光学迷彩
And from WWWJDIC...
不透明 【ふとうめい】 (adj-na,n) opacity; (P); EP
光学 【こうがく】 (n) optics; (P); EP
迷彩 【めいさい】 (n) camouflage; disguise; (P); EP
I'm pretty sure this is supposed to mean some kind of Invisibility Cloak... so it's like a "camouflage to hide the visibility of of opaque objects." So "opacity optical camouflage" would be like "optical camouflage for your opacity" or something. :P Anyway, if you can think of a better wording, feel free :lol:
Tanuki
Astral Realm

Post by Tanuki »

I think "opaque optical camouflage" might be a better way to translate this.
GDsMDDLFNGR wrote:Here's the actual text...
不透明光学迷彩
And from WWWJDIC...
不透明 【ふとうめい】 (adj-na,n) opacity; (P); EP
光学 【こうがく】 (n) optics; (P); EP
迷彩 【めいさい】 (n) camouflage; disguise; (P); EP
I'm pretty sure this is supposed to mean some kind of Invisibility Cloak... so it's like a "camouflage to hide the visibility of of opaque objects." So "opacity optical camouflage" would be like "optical camouflage for your opacity" or something. :P Anyway, if you can think of a better wording, feel free :lol:
extraclassiclite
Astral Realm

Post by extraclassiclite »

I guess if it's taken as 'opaque' it could be modifying the standard 'invisibility' optical camo concept to some sort of optically generated image or pattern that hides the user rather than rendering them see-through or the like.

Still, I'd personally just cut the word out. Optical camo already says that she's hidden by optical manipulation, adding the qualifier just seems to cause confusion. Such as I am feeling now.
extraclassiclite
Astral Realm

Post by extraclassiclite »

Wait, nevermind, maybe it just refers to an effect on the user's opacity- like turning them transparent. That fits the usual conceptualization of optical camo, at least.
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

As I was going to ask what it was again, I noticed that Nagato was still naively following my command.

"......You can move now."

"Okay."

Slipping her hand down, Nagato looked intently at the materializing giant kamadouma. The dark brown benjo ko-orogi was settling down on a spot several meters away from us.
Noticing this passage, I must say one thing, "Okay" is way too informal a word for Yuki's personality, I tend to see her using very abstract and sophisticated, almost scientific-like words, for her monosyllabic replies. Just my two cents as a self-proclaimed Yuki-nut. Maybe "understood", or "I see" would be more appropriate.

I had wanted to edit as I write this, but it seems the wiki server's very slow at the moment.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

i like the word "affirmative" makes her seem more formal, for such an important situation, while "I see" is her "informal" way.

(^^)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Volume 3 - The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第三巻: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈”