Edits by the masses [Lone Island Syndrome]

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Omio
Astral Realm

Edits by the masses [Lone Island Syndrome]

Post by Omio »

I didn't say anything, and had that little thought buried deep within my heart. I'll ask him later when I see him.

"I see, so there are permanent and contractual servants, I've really learnt something new today."
Shouldn't that be 'learned'? :/
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

depends.

My American Spell checkers says its a-ok.

but then again, it says "color" is ok too.

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Jumpyshoes »

You and your stupid British English. :roll:

Color is color you fools! I'm not to sure about "learnt" though...
Omio
Astral Realm

Post by Omio »

Jumpyshoes wrote:You and your stupid British English. :roll:

Color is color you fools! I'm not to sure about "learnt" though...
I'm not British! I'm Canadian!
'color' is Colour. learnt is learned.

I think the latter edit is needed for pronounciation/announciation. (both, really.)
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Too bad we standardized on American English. Make it "learned."

=Smidge=
Setherzam
Void Mage

Post by Setherzam »

I thought we were standardized on British spelling?...
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

It states in the editing guidelines to stick to American English, but speaking as an American and considering how many of the editors appear to be Commonwealth residents or have been taught British English, and how most of the American editors appear to have a passing familiarity with the Queen's English, if you guys want to change it to British, by all means do. I've often found the writing to be stylistically British as it is (although that may be due to the translators and editors, admittedly), and Kyon's narration in particular has always reminded me of Douglas Adams, so it might even work out better that way. I don't think most Americans are going to have a problem figuring out what "colour" means, and those that would are unlikely to visit this site as it is. Just try to keep the slang to a minimum, in case Kyon ever picks up smoking and finds reason to ask Itsuki for a light (just think about it that one for a sec...).

And "learnt" should be wrong whichever side of the Atlantic you read it on. That spelling hasn't been in common usage for ages. While I'm sure Tanigawa would love his work being compared to Shakespeare, that doesn't necessarily mean we should be using the Bard's vocabulary in its translation...
Omio
Astral Realm

Post by Omio »

To condense...
'Color' Remains.
'learnt'? kthxbai.

Lock please. I've moved on to Volume 5.

Return to “Volume 3 - The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第三巻: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈”