Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

DQ
Astral Realm

Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody

Post by DQ »

"Isn't it Orihime and Hikoboshi?"

"Correct. That's ten points. Then, do you know which stars Orihime and Hikoboshi are referring to?"

"Nope."

"Is it the Alpha Lyrae and Alpha Aquilae?"

Koizumi answered quickly.

"That's right! 85 points! That's the two stars! In other words, you must point the bamboo shoot carrying the tanzakus towards these two stars. Understood?"

What are you trying to say? And just which category did the remaining 15 points belong to?
100-85-10=15-10=5=\=15
>_>
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Wait, who actually calls those stars by those names? I've only ever heard "Vega" and "Altair" used for them before.
Jumpyshoes
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Jumpyshoes »

I think what he's trying to say is that Kyon can't add/subtract.

What I think Haruhi meant was that there were 85 points INCLUDING the 10 she gave Koizumi. In other words, 100 - 85 == 15.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Jumpyshoes wrote:I think what he's trying to say is that Kyon can't add/subtract.

What I think Haruhi meant was that there were 85 points INCLUDING the 10 she gave Koizumi. In other words, 100 - 85 == 15.
I understood that, just making a random comment.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

It would not surprise me if Alpha Lyrae and Alpha Aquilae are the more scientific names. You know how scientists love their Greek and Latin. :roll:
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

ainsoph9 wrote:It would not surprise me if Alpha Lyrae and Alpha Aquilae are the more scientific names. You know how scientists love their Greek and Latin. :roll:
They are, but why would anyone like Haruhi use or know those names?

Not even Kyon seems to know them, and he used to be obsessed with things like that, space, etc.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

ainsoph9 wrote:It would not surprise me if Alpha Lyrae and Alpha Aquilae are the more scientific names. You know how scientists love their Greek and Latin. :roll:
Yep, they are the brightest stars in the constellations Lyra and Aquila, respectively.
Serva
Astral Realm

Post by Serva »

Jumpyshoes wrote:I think what he's trying to say is that Kyon can't add/subtract.

That still really doesn't make much sence. After reading it, it seems like Kyon answered the first question for 10 points. The only question that was stated to be answered by who was the one by Koizumi which was granted 85 points. The difference in points was most likely due Kyon being the one who answered it, so it must not have been a difficult question to be granting as much as 85 points.

I don't speak many other languages... One at best. English if you didn't notice, so I can't check myself, but is it possible that there was a mistake while that section was being translated?

Its possible that Koizumi did answer both questions, in which case, it is possible to make some sence out of Kyon's calculations, but it doesn't state who answered the first question.
Sol Falling
Astral Realm

Post by Sol Falling »

uh, it seems pretty simple to me. The maximum points for an answer is 100. Kyon's middling answer demonstrated insight worthy of only 10 points. Koizumi was 85/100 close to what Haruhi wanted to hear. 100/100 would require basically somebody to read Haruhi's mind.

Or something like that.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Sol Falling wrote:100/100 would require basically somebody to read Haruhi's mind.
Isn't that exactly what Koizumi can do?
AuraTwilight
Astral Realm

Post by AuraTwilight »

No. Koizumi only has the ability to sense and enter Closed Spaces and fight within them. Traditional psychic abilities such as telepathy or precognition aren't available to him.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

AuraTwilight wrote:No. Koizumi only has the ability to sense and enter Closed Spaces and fight within them. Traditional psychic abilities such as telepathy or precognition aren't available to him.
I'm relatively sure that early on in the books he mentions that he and the other espers can sense Haruhi's emotions... it'd explain why he always seems to know what she's feeling.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama

Post by ainsoph9 »

I find it funny how everyone here is so obsessed with some simple math. It reminds me of the time my math professor told us how a lawyer called another math professor on whether the square root of 4 was 2. The lawyer called three times, asking the same question. The math professor was stunned at how stupid the lawyer was, but responded the first two times politely and walked him through it. The third time, the math professor asked the lawyer, "Are you getting paid for this?" "Yes," replied the lawyer. "Good. Well, I am not," retorted the math professor, "Goodbye!" By this time, the rest of the math department was wondering what the case was. They never heard from that lawyer again.

As for Koizumi, the way he can sense Haruhi's emotions is not because of his esper powers. Of course not! He is simply in touch with his feminine side, only a bit too bit... :roll:
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

My abilities are merely to detect Sealed Realities and penetrate them. To be honest, I can even detect Suzumiya-san's state of mind. This world is like a blister created from the tremors of Suzumiya-san's unstable emotional state, and I am the medicine designed to cure the blisters.
From Volume 1, Chapter 6.
Sol Falling
Astral Realm

Post by Sol Falling »

well, that might explain how Koizumi is able to get even 85/100. I'm not sure you could say that Koizumi's mind reading abilities are developed to such a degree that he knows exactly what Haruhi is thinking, though. It's more like being able to sense her general emotional mood and thoughts.

Uh, wait. New thought. gee, Koizumi's connection to Haruhi's mental state gives those 'Itsuki for Kyon' people a bit more room to stand on, doesn't it?

Return to “Volume 3 - The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第三巻: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈”