Lone island syndrome - Mahjong

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Test
Astral Realm

Lone island syndrome - Mahjong

Post by Test »

Can anyone write what it does say in the novel and i might give it try to translate it though i cannot promise anything, try not to fit in any kanji if you please =)
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

GDsMDDLFNGR wrote:
Here's the original text for this part (pages 255-256):

...。ルールを曲解したハルヒは自分で勝手な役を考案し、『二色絶一門』『チャンタモドキ』『イーシャンテン金縛り』などの謎の役で次々と俺たちからアガり続けた。まあ笑えたから許してやる。ノーレートだったしさ。

「ロン!たぶん一万点くらい!」

「涼宮さん、それ役満ですよ」

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Test
Astral Realm

Post by Test »

If that is not to fit in any kanji i donno what is hehe, sorry for the inconvinience.
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Post by SubordinateFive »

If kanji are a problem for you there are some excellent dictionaries online—I personally use a free program called WaKan. It's easy to look up kanji with this program—simply go into Dictionary mode and click on "By clipboard", copy (don't paste) your text, switch to WaKan, and you're done! The program takes care of the rest.

たぶん一万点くらい!」

Try it with the word 万点 above.

Translation: "Probably—a near-perfect score!"

If you're serious about learning Japanese then you'll have to learn kanji sometime or other. Japanese has lots of homonyms that can only be distinguished by kanji. Examples:
  • ashi = foot or leg
  • souzou = imagination or creation
  • kaichuu = in the sea or roundworm or pocket
  • doujou = dojo or sympathy or ditto
  • etc.
(Source: WaKan)

Want to study but you're away from your computer? No problem! Here are two excellent books I'm using. Maybe they'll help you too.
  • Kanji & Kana, Revised Edition by Hadamitzky and Spahn
  • A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters by Henshall
Hope this helps. Ganbatte ne!
Test
Astral Realm

Post by Test »

Well the thing is i'm actually in japan studying japanese and mahjong for the fun of it but i just don't give the kanji studies the time it's supposed to get so to say ;) But thanks anyway, will try that program thing i think.
the_naming_game
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

here are the terms, computer-unkanjified

Post by the_naming_game »

I dunno ... the law of least resistance says that if you're in Japan, and you're studying mahjong there ... that you could easily find someone you could beg to translate the terms. That's what I'd do at least. But I tend to be lazy when there are alternatives to hard work.

If you really are as strict a do-it-yourselfer as you seem to be, you'll love wwwjdic. Pick a mirror from here -- because sometimes the main site is slow.

Pick the "Translate Words" option, and paste in the kanji.

To save everyone some time, I ran the quoted parts through the lookup:

Code: Select all

『二色絶一門』『チャンタモドキ』『イーシャンテン金縛り』

* 二色 【にしょく】 (n) two-color; two-colour; dichromatic; ED
    * 一門 【いちもん】 (n) family; dependents; household; kin; clan; group of related sumo stables; (P); EP
    * ちゃんたま (n) (col) testicles; ED [Partial Match!]
    * モド (u) Modot; NA
    * イーシャー (p) Esher (Britain); NA [Partial Match!]
    * テン (n) 10; ten; (P); EP
    * 金縛り 【かなしばり】 (n) (col) binding hand and foot; temporary feeling of paralysis; (P); EP

「ロン!たぶん一万点くらい!」「涼宮さん、それ役満ですよ」

* ロン (u) Ronald; Rong; Ron; NA
    * 一万 【いちかず】 Ichikazu (u) 【かずま】 Kazuma (u) NA
    * Possible inflected verb or adjective: (plain verb)
      点く 【つく】 (v5k,vi) (1) to catch fire; (2) to be lit, e.g., electricity comes on; to be lighted; (P); EP
    * 涼 【りょう】 Ryou (f) 【すずし】 Suzushi (g) 【さやか】 Sayaka (f) 【すず】 Suzu (f) 【すずか】 Suzuka (f) 【すずみ】 Suzumi (f) 【りょうじ】 Ryouji (u) 【りよう】 Riyou (f) NA
    * 宮さこ 【みやさこ】 Miyasako (s) NA [Partial Match!]
    * 役 【えき; やく】 (えき) (n) war; campaign; battle; (やく) (n,n-suf) use; service; role; position; SP
    * 満 【みつる】 Mitsuru (f) 【まん】 Man (f) 【みちる】 Michiru (f) 【みち】 Michi (u) 【みつ】 Mitsu (s) 【みつざき】 Mitsuzaki (s) 【みのる】 Minoru (u) NA
As you can see, it comes up with some things that don't seem to make sense. But a lot of them do sound like they could be part of some kind of poetic-type mahjong term. Anyway, this is as much as I can contribute to this discussion at the moment, as my budding Japanese practice has currently taken a back seat to chaos.

(Hmm, I just noticed from reading SubordinateFive's post that the site segmented at least one word wrong. Not surprising.)
GDsMDDLFNGR
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by GDsMDDLFNGR »

I updated the Lone Island Syndrome talk page with my take on the translation a couple days ago. Please reply with any comments you may have so we can get that final .2%. :D
kurogane
Astral Realm

Post by kurogane »

What about the Chinese versions? Can anybody post the transcript of this part in the chinese versions? I might also be able to help with the translations.
Aruruu
Astral Realm

Post by Aruruu »

「ロン!たぶん一万点くらい!」 translates to "Out! Probably around 10000 points!". In Mahjong, to "go out" is to "win" that round (although win is not the most accurate description, I just can't think of a better way to describe it). 10000 points is referring to the amount of points that her Mahjong hand got in the Japanese Mahjong scoring system.

万点 does not mean perfect score. That would be 満点. The "一" is the kanji for one, not the long dash/stroke/forgot what it's called.

「涼宮さん、それ役満ですよ」 translates to "Suzumiya-san, this is Yakuman". Yakuman is also another term in the scoring systems. Yaku's(役) are based on the "rarity" of the hand.

I only know a bit, but not much about Japanese Mahjong, so that's the best I can explain it.

As for the Chinese versions:
「糊了!差不多有一萬點!」
「涼官同學,那是役滿呦。」
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Post by SubordinateFive »

Ah...gomen. My Japanese is far from perfect, but I keep trying!

About 万点 versus 満点...that's exactly what I meant when I was talking about homonyms earlier. My mistake. :)

Return to “Volume 3 - The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第三巻: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈”