Monogatari Series

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

A Concerned Citizen
Astral Realm

Re: bakemonogatari + other monogatari series

Post by A Concerned Citizen »

onizuka-gto wrote: [...]

The main problem we had, is the way fansub/scanlation methods are traditionally handled.

They are used to handling raw sources which will be roughly translated, this is then proof-read and then edited, this will happen another one of two times before openly "published".

This method is normal for both anime and manga scene, the majority of the work is handled behind closed doors until it meets satisfaction and is released.

However this clashes entirely with the Baka-Tsuki philosophy and protocol, we cannot operate with all the editing behind closed door, if it cannot be placed on the wiki or a format that allows the majority of Baka-Tsuki staff to view and edit our structure does not allow use to function at optimal capacity.

This happened on our Z.N.T collaboration, the fansub group could not comprehend that we only needed the rough translation posted on the wiki for editing [...]

[...]

Personally it boils down to this, is there a compromise in the method of editing/proof-reading between the two different scenes?

fansub/manga want privacy of script before publishing, Baka-Tsuki require open multi-editing platform before and after publishing?
Given how Kaien has published their translation even though it's clearly at a very early stage, I don't think they're going to insist on closed-doors editing as fansub groups are wont to do. They may indeed have carried out some initial editing before releasing their first script, but I'd expect it to be a direct word-for-word translation of the Japanese otherwise, and at this stage of the project I doubt something this minor would make much of a difference in the long run.

Also, I can provide a few Wave invites if necessary.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

A Concerned Citizen wrote: Given how Kaien has published their translation even though it's clearly at a very early stage, I don't think they're going to insist on closed-doors editing as fansub groups are wont to do. They may indeed have carried out some initial editing before releasing their first script, but I'd expect it to be a direct word-for-word translation of the Japanese otherwise, and at this stage of the project I doubt something this minor would make much of a difference in the long run.

Also, I can provide a few Wave invites if necessary.
Thank you for your contribution Concerned Citizen, I do hope that this will be the case. Literal translation is by far the best stage for us to start "naturalisation" of the script. It certainly makes any Editors job worthy. :lol: :roll:

At this moment I have yet to inquire who on the team has Google Wave, but once I have determined who will require it, I will accept any generous contribution to the "state" from any patriotic citizens. :wink: :)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

No progress in the negotiations with this other group? (or any of those other groups?)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Darklor wrote:No progress in the negotiations with this other group? (or any of those other groups?)

Erm...actually, I been so busy lately haven't had time to deal with this.

You know, C&D and what not. I think I need to delegate this to someone, I need a PA to be honest.

If someone likes to run about and report back on me what needs to be done, please P.M. (oh wait. gotta clean out my inbox first.... :roll: ) ...yeah, p.m. me please.

I believe there is more materials to copy from A.S. forum to the Wiki as well too, (or maybe not) haven't received any notification of thread activity in my email, or it could simply been swamped, or maybe i forgot to add the notification. Either way i have no idea.

Also need to chase up on the registered translators...arrrgghh.

Really need a Sitrep on this.....I hate this C&D......... :evil: :(
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

So the progress for this series is sleeping on ice?

Darklor

lucone
Astral Realm

Post by lucone »

Not sure this is the correct place but...

I started to read bakemonogatari novels and found them better than anime.

but found that the translations is idle...

please don't stop bakemonogatari!!!
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

So how is it going? Can we add now the translation of this other translation group? Is still somone translating this series?

Darklor

kerrichan
Astral Realm

Post by kerrichan »

I haven't translated anything since nothing was confirmed.... Shall I continue waiting or start translating again? :)
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Thats the problem I dont know anything and had hoped someone else of the involved here would know more. At least this other group has finished "Hitagi Crab" and has at least of "Mayoi Snail" the first to second part translated... I would like to add this to our wiki so that it dont look so unfinished there, but dont know if have the allowance for that here... :(

Darklor

Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

onizuka-gto wrote:good news, permission granted, however the translator has request that we give ickem a little time to add some missing text that had been ommited in the original one he had posted on the other forum.

So please be patient until he is satisfied with the script before we publish it on the wiki.

thank you!
:)
So is it finished yet?

Also those are new chapters which could be added to our wiki too right?:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.ph ... stcount=42
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.ph ... stcount=44

Darklor

kerrichan
Astral Realm

Post by kerrichan »

I have absolutely no idea how this is going to work out, but can I confirm that the other group has not started on any of the other books? If so, I'm thinking of working on Bakemonogatari Volume 2: Nadeko Snake. :) Oh, and thanks to Darklor for reminding me that I could work on other volumes. ^^;;
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

No problem! :mrgreen:

Darklor

Zbig
Astral Realm

Post by Zbig »

Hi!
I am just poor student from Poland and manga&anime is one of my hobbies. A few weeks ago when I was reading Bakemonogatari novel on Baka-Tsuki Wiki, I thought "Hey, this is great! Why no one translate this novel to Polish?" So I had sat down and I translated three and half chapters.
(Don't be afraid, my reading and translating skills are far better than English writing...)

So... If you don't mind, I'll put these chapters on Wiki right after my editor check them (and I must learn how to operate Wiki, but it don't look hard). Then I will add next chapters in my own (slow but precisely) rate.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Good luck with that - and dont forget to create the thread for your project in the Alternate Languges section of the forum

Darklor

Zbig
Astral Realm

Post by Zbig »

Darklor wrote:Good luck with that - and dont forget to create the thread for your project in the Alternate Languges section of the forum
Aahh, entschuldigung, ich vergess...

Vielen Dank :wink:

Return to “Abandoned”