Hibike! Euphonium

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you want to see this translated

Yes, I want to know what happens after the prefectures!
67%
Yes, I want to know what KyoAni changed and added!
33%
No, anime was good enough for me.
No votes
No, please go back to translating Itsuten!
No votes
No, please go back to translating Otaria!
No votes
No, please help Veracitea in Alderamin!
No votes
Can't be bothered.
No votes

Total votes: 9

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Hibike! Euphonium

Post by larethian »

Feedback thread for the novel, Hibike! Euphonium (aka Sound! Euphonium).

Author: Takeda Ayano
Publisher: Takarajimasha Bunko
Genre: High school drama, slice of life, wind music
No. of volumes: 3 + 1
Animation Studio: Kyoto Animation

Remarks: No, this is nothing remotely like K-ON, in case you are wondering.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Hibike! Euphonium

Post by larethian »

Am not sure how far I'm going to go with this, but for now, I've decided to do this for real. If there's someone who wants to help translate this, I'll probably let it go to do something else. It'll be kind of slow due to my schedule and also I'm going slower than usual to do the source justice. Enjoy.
yamimushishi
Astral Realm

Post by yamimushishi »

Thank you. I'd be happy to read it.
I can't translate myself, so I am afraid I can't help with that, but good luck!
someone01
Astral Realm

Post by someone01 »

Oh, thank you!

I was thinking i had to spend years learning japanese if wanted to know what happens in the novels.

Glad there is a translation in process.

Will bookmark the link.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

A common question I got about why not start from volume 2.
This is actually my usual MO, to start from the volume after the anime. But there are simply too many differences with KyoAni version that I feel that volume 1 needs to get out to the public. :D
I also like how the descriptive text 'shows' and throws out enough hints or inferrable info if you read it carefully enough.

Up till the current translated content, we can see very clearly that Kumiko is a girl who gets easily 'caught up in the flow of others'. I think this point is not exactly clear in the anime and a key development point for her.
Shuuichi and Kumiko's interactions are clearly richer.
Unlike the anime, one can infer that the reconciliation already took place in the first 'interaction' presented in the novel. When Kumiko switched the bag over to her left shoulder after Shuuichi's more earnest apology, one can infer that Shuuichi is actually walking on her right, and she removed an object that personifies a block in their relationship. When Shuuichi decided to join the band after knowing that she's joining, the narrative also clearly presented that she was pleased with the outcome and she tried to hide her 'delight' by feigning apathy after her 'confirmation' question.

As for the volume arcs, this is how they are structured:
Spoiler! :
V1 : Reina + Prefectures arc
V2 : Nozomi + Regionals arc
V3 : Asuka + Nationals arc
someone01
Astral Realm

Post by someone01 »

larethian wrote:A common question I got about why not start from volume 2.
This is actually my usual MO, to start from the volume after the anime. But there are simply too many differences with KyoAni version that I feel that volume 1 needs to get out to the public. :D
I also like how the descriptive text 'shows' and throws out enough hints or inferrable info if you read it carefully enough.
Oh, so kyo-ani's version is too different. That's interesting.

I wonder if Hazuki and Midori relationship with Kumiko get more development on novel 1.
larethian wrote: As for the volume arcs, this is how they are structured:
Spoiler! :
Based on volume 3 structure
Spoiler! :
If its the nationals arc does that mean it is the last novel? Not knowing japanese i have no way to know if the story is composed of 3 novels or if the author planned more.
Thanks again for the translation work!
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

someone01 wrote:
larethian wrote:A common question I got about why not start from volume 2.
Oh, so kyo-ani's version is too different. That's interesting.

I wonder if Hazuki and Midori relationship with Kumiko get more development on novel 1.
larethian wrote: As for the volume arcs, this is how they are structured:
Spoiler! :
Based on volume 3 structure
Spoiler! :
If its the nationals arc does that mean it is the last novel? Not knowing japanese i have no way to know if the story is composed of 3 novels or if the author planned more.
Thanks again for the translation work!
Hazuki and Midori don't get much development in the main story. They probably get some fleshing in the side stories.
The main characters are Kumiko, Reina, Nozomi, and Asuka.
Another interesting thing to note is that v1 focuses on a year 1 character, v2 on a year 2 and v3 on a year 3. Very systematic I should say.

Yes v3 is the last volume for the main story. There is another volume that only just came out a month ago which is made up of short stories to fill in the gaps and flesh things out in the main plot.
In brief without going into plot details.
Spoiler! :
I do not think there will be a continuation of the main story, at least under the same title as the last part of v3 gives a full circle completion to what Sound! Euphonium means and what Kumiko 'inherits' from Asuka.
NotenKi
Astral Realm

Post by NotenKi »

I'm very glad you started with Vol1, rather a Novel is the same or different, I still prefer to read the whole story, many times they seem the same but small things are included in the written story that are left out of the Anime. I hope more will be following, when time permits, and thank you to all that are doing the hard work of translation and all other areas that are required to bring it all together.

Return to “Abandoned”