Monogatari Series

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

handsfeet
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Monogatari Series: General

Post by handsfeet »

A friend recommended Bakemonogatari to me, and since it´s from the author of Medaka Box I would like to read it, :o but why was this series translated like this? :?
I understand that coming from Nisio Issin the translation must be a pain with all his plays on words and peculiar writting, but while the sixth, third and other volumes are translated, there´s not much of a point if the first ones aren´t, as it would be ridiculous to read it in disorder even if one is a prequel or something; so I´m just honestly curious as to why the translators completed others and not the first volume.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

It's up to the translators to decide on which volume they want to work.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
handsfeet
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by handsfeet »

Yeah, personally I would never translate something in disorder cuz it simply wouldn´t feel right to me, but I guess it just depends on which one they feel like translating, huh?
Anyway, I don´t like watching the anime before reading it´s novel (I made exceptions with Ben-To and Ookami-san to Sichinin no Nakama Tachi since those looked too interesting), so after searching quite a few sites I managed to find a rough pdf with what´s avilable of Bakemonogatari 1 (just to read that part more comfortably) :D.
omb
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by omb »

fri wrote:CanonRap said it's okay. I also plan to make other volumes in the exact same format (images, bookmarks, notes, etc. - minor case of OCD, yay), here are the finished ones:

Neko Black - http://oko.im/files/Nekomonogatari-Black.pdf (1.82 MiB)
Neko White - http://oko.im/files/Nekomonogatari-White.pdf (2.60 MiB)

As it seems there are no other versions of Neko White PDF, you can link to it on the series' page.
Thank you.
Fall apart, in my back yard.
andrewks95
Astral Realm

Re: Monogatari Series

Post by andrewks95 »

Are the Monogatari light novel series still being translated?

I'm curious as to the progress. It seems like no headway has been made in the last two years. I'd be more than willing to provide help in translation or looking for translators if need be. There definitely is a huge fan-base looking for the light novels to be translated, so please don't give up on it if work is still being done! I already appreciate the sublime effort put into the pages already translated.

I can't say that I have any ability to translate, but I'm more than willing to help anyway that I can to get the light novels translated.
Oak-tree
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Oak-tree »

I took the liberty to add translated chapters of Ougi Formula by personal request from it's translator.
Now I am negotiating to add Koymi Stone chapter (fully tranlated story from Koymimonogatari) and last three stories from Bakemonogatari Official Guide Book.
But I have there questions:
1. By any chance - have I violated some rules by adding these chapters of Ougi Formula?
2. What to do with half-translated first chapter of Koymi Stone? It was fully translated by the other guy.
3. Is it that necessary for me to ask permission from the translator of Koyomi Stone to make the link on his translation? (I guess I have to but who knows?)
eroragi
Digitalizer Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by eroragi »

How does Baka-Tsuki feel about audio recordings of their translated light novels? I'd love to do readings of the Monogatari series and upload them to YouTube - it's a very popular series and it's a shame the source material isn't getting as much love as it should be. Naturally I would credit Baka-Tsuki for the translation and hopefully it will draw attention to the as of yet untranslated segments and bring in new translators interested in working on them. I can't find anything in Baka-Tsuki's guidelines that would prohibit me from doing this but I'd like to hear from a moderator or someone more familiar with the rules before I do anything.
victorrama
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: Too many to list, just ask

Post by victorrama »

Oak tree, for koyomi stone it's good for you to overwrite it.
It's something i did on a whim and the quality is... well you can read it yourself....
for the translation i think it's fine if the translator agrees.
eroragi, try to PM them.
Just a passing by translator, editor, typesetter, writer, meeper.

Translating : The Maso's TL project
and also other series.

“The mind, at times, takes masochistic delight in suffering.” ― Saurbh Katyal, Seduced by Murder
eroragi
Digitalizer Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by eroragi »

Thanks victorrama - I've got the go-ahead. Chapter one of Hitagi Crab is now up at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-JdItxyCOw.
I will also be creating a new forum topic, where I will put up more details about the project for anyone else interested in doing LN audio recordings.
Kiritomatsu
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kiritomatsu »

hey, i found a full translate of Otorimonogatari light novel, anyone care to edit and put it to BakaTsuki?
Mooseman
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mooseman »

Kiritomatsu wrote:hey, i found a full translate of Otorimonogatari light novel, anyone care to edit and put it to BakaTsuki?
You would have to get the translators permission for it to be posted here.
That might be a bit difficult, due to how the translation was released.
Vazkro
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Vazkro »

Are the boyfriends of the sisters real?

I've seen some people say they are and some people say they aren't real and just made up to make Koyomi jealous.

I myself have unfortunately not had the time to read the light novel so I was wondering if anyone here could enlighten me.

the wikia says that Nekomonogatari Black light novel volume told us they were made up but I didn't see anything in Nekomonogatari Black at first glance ( I didn't read through it completely )
fantwell
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by fantwell »

Hi all,

I think this is the right place top post this, as I can't ask directly on the translation project wiki page since apparently my IP is a proxy (??). Anyway, what in the world is the status of this series?

I've been following this project for.... I don't even know how long but at least since 2011 when all that was available were the first few chapters of Hitagi Crab. It's obviously one of the most popular franchises out there right now (look at all the seasons of anime it's gotten), and has been for a while, and yet there seems to be essentially 0 progress or motivation by anyone to actually translate these novels? Am I missing something here?

I read Neko white and black over 2 years ago and today I come back to BT to check in and they still seem to be the most recent fully translated novels? Should I just give up hope that the remaining 10 books will ever be translated? What's the point of having such an elaborate project page if no one is actually updating anything substantial? Why are like 3 or 4 chapters out of 40 translated for every book instead of consistent progress with no gaps?

Sorry if I come off as an accusatory free-loader, but it's seriously baffling to me. It doesn't make sense that such a popular, amazing series with such great material is languishing untranslated with hardly anything but a bunch of chapter numbers in a bullet list to show for the last several years. I really just want to know if I missing something.

Thanks if you know anything.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

fantwell wrote:Anyway, what in the world is the status of this series?
BT isn't a group in the sense that people are assigned to work on anything. Translators just stop by and translate what they choose. If someone starts translating a few chapters and then decides to quit, then that's all that gets translated. And if no one is interested in translating a project then it doesn't get translated.
fantwell
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by fantwell »

Cthaeh wrote:
fantwell wrote:Anyway, what in the world is the status of this series?
BT isn't a group in the sense that people are assigned to work on anything. Translators just stop by and translate what they choose. If someone starts translating a few chapters and then decides to quit, then that's all that gets translated. And if no one is interested in translating a project then it doesn't get translated.
This is true but the BT I knew was still a hub for translation where coordination would take place or at least communication as to the status of a project to the community at large. And Monogatari isn't listed as a dropped series, it's supposedly "active" and has translators working on it. That's who I was directing my post towards, not BT admins.

Return to “Abandoned”