No Game No Life

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading No Game No Life?

It was good! Please do more!
97%
It was interesting.
3%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 1177

sdarkpaladin
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: No Game No Life

Post by sdarkpaladin »

octapusxft wrote:Snail Press did again didn't they?

Not only they translate novels at a pace that can be slower than that of the author writing them but they do not seem to release most of them in digital version. Every novel that they take up is as good as dead unless someone has either a huge space to fill with paper based books or is willing to buy the paper-book, scan and store the contents and then recycle the book when done...
I feel like writing a complaint to Yen press for their lack of digital novels for all the good it may do.

PS: Could anyone please explain me the reasoning behind stopping the fan translation of novels before the licensed guys even start to distribute volume 1?
The fact that we are translating it officially is already illegal, if not in the gray zone. You need to get the license from the author to publish their works, and this usually means you need to buy the license. Of course this also includes translation or derivatives of the works. In the Japan VS America law, Japan's are much more lax which is why we can continue translating them into various other languages. Copyright laws in the western world are very very strict. Not to mention the trigger-happy lawsuit country that is America.

Yen Press bought all the licenses, so they would want to maximize profits as a business. This also means that by providing free translation we are undermining their profits, silly as it sounds. Although buying up all the license so that they can hold on to it is a shamisen move, this is their way of ensuring constant profits and to be ahead of the market in the west.

Baka-tsuki, as with all other people, do not want to be sued nor want to be shut down. So they came up with their regulation to ensure their survival and also to continue to provide us with a place to host all the translations. (This are all my assumptions though)

Conclusion is businesses will usually think about profits first. Look at EA and Ubisoft. We as consumers cannot do anything but bow down to them. Of course the underground sites in the deepweb are a different story, but that's none of my business.
octapusxft
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by octapusxft »

sdarkpaladin wrote:
The fact that we are translating it officially is already illegal, if not in the gray zone. You need to get the license from the author to publish their works, and this usually means you need to buy the license. Of course this also includes translation or derivatives of the works. In the Japan VS America law, Japan's are much more lax which is why we can continue translating them into various other languages. Copyright laws in the western world are very very strict. Not to mention the trigger-happy lawsuit country that is America.

Yen Press bought all the licenses, so they would want to maximize profits as a business. This also means that by providing free translation we are undermining their profits, silly as it sounds. Although buying up all the license so that they can hold on to it is a shamisen move, this is their way of ensuring constant profits and to be ahead of the market in the west.

Baka-tsuki, as with all other people, do not want to be sued nor want to be shut down. So they came up with their regulation to ensure their survival and also to continue to provide us with a place to host all the translations. (This are all my assumptions though)

Conclusion is businesses will usually think about profits first. Look at EA and Ubisoft. We as consumers cannot do anything but bow down to them. Of course the underground sites in the deepweb are a different story, but that's none of my business.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

What do you mean by Shamisen move? Was that intended as a euphemism for D?

By underground sites you mean the torrent sites?
Always wondering why do translators go AWOL?
Sabodew
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sabodew »

This is complete bs... I need someone to finish translating volume 6.
FateScarlet
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: No Game No Life, Shinyaku To Aru Majutsu no Index.

Post by FateScarlet »

Sabodew wrote:This is complete bs... I need someone to finish translating volume 6.
I'm on it, though I'll post the link for pastebin here in the forums, so keep in check. Don't worry, soon you'll be able to read the rest too :D

While I'm at it, here's some good news.

I just finished translating the chapter 3.
Took me 8 days for that (and more or less a week for Chapter 4). Nice going, me! 8)

With this, the chapter 3 and 4 are fully translated. Tomorrow I'll just read once again the whole chapter (for minor corrections and edition) and I'll probably put the links here by the night.

Also, since it's almost end-term, I'll have other stuff to do (like exams), so I doubt I'll finish chapter 5 on the same time range as those two.

But don't worry. I'll keep translating regardless of that!

On a side note, I won't be re-doing the first chapters due to the end-term, so I'll just focus on completing the volume. If you find any inconsistence, please bear with it until you get used to my style :roll:
"【Reading】Code 1673B743E1F255 Script E activate ----【Unload】----"
"All armaments...war potential, war tactics, war strategies, as a risk...Struggle for Life, commence!"
JRave
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by JRave »

Sabodew wrote:This is complete bs... I need someone to finish translating volume 6.

This kind of attitude is heavily frowned upon in this community, so please try not to make similar comments in the future. Saying things like this often leads to Translators quitting or leaving the site. Saying you "need someone" to finish translating is extremely disrespectful to ALL translators and editors that contribute here.
FateScarlet
Kyonist

Post by FateScarlet »

Sorry for the wait!

Here's the translated chapter 3. There are a few notes I added before the translation, so please read it for a better understanding. :wink:

No Game No Life Volume 6 - Chapter 3: [removed upon abandonment]

Also, due to a few troubles thanks to text type, and the lack of formatting in pastebin, the chapter 4 will be post-dated to tomorrow or the day after tomorrow (at most). :?

I'm open to comments and suggestions (since it's the first time doing something like this). Constructive critics are also welcomed.

All in all, have a good read! :D
"All armaments...war potential, war tactics, war strategies, as a risk...Struggle for Life, commence!"
FateScarlet
Kyonist

Post by FateScarlet »

Aaand~ thanks for waiting, here's the chapter 4.

No Game No Life Volume 6 - Chapter 4: [removed upon abandonment]

Now, it will take a while until the chapter 5 gets out, but maybe I'll get done with it by the end of the month.

Tell me what you guys thought about the translation. It can be used as a reference for the future ones! :D
kizrock94
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: To Aru Majutsu no Index
Campione

Post by kizrock94 »

FateScarlet wrote:Aaand~ thanks for waiting, here's the chapter 4.

Now, it will take a while until the chapter 5 gets out, but maybe I'll get done with it by the end of the month.

Tell me what you guys thought about the translation. It can be used as a reference for the future ones! :D
Why don't you create a blog so you can put the NGNL translation in it
It'll be much easier for people to read and you can edit your translation too
Hello................Bye
Shuiko
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka and High School DxD

Post by Shuiko »

kizrock94 wrote:

Why don't you create a blog so you can put the NGNL translation in it
It'll be much easier for people to read and you can edit your translation too
Cause then he would have to setup a blog which he might not want to?

Also ty for chapters Fate!
likertuban
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by likertuban »

thanks for your work,
IMO, just a suggestion, put in word/pdf instead of paste bean, upload it to somewhere,
so that you have a good formated and people can download it, and copy-paste your word/pdf file to pastebin for a backup :D
there's some of misstype in some part, but it still good, thanks :D
FateScarlet
Kyonist

Post by FateScarlet »

Shuiko wrote:Cause then he would have to setup a blog which he might not want to?
There's also that, but there's also the fact that I'm not used to set blogs and such, so I would end up spending a lot of time on it until I got anywhere with it. :?
likertuban wrote:thanks for your work,
IMO, just a suggestion, put in word/pdf instead of paste bean, upload it to somewhere,
so that you have a good formated and people can download it, and copy-paste your word/pdf file to pastebin for a backup :D
there's some of misstype in some part, but it still good, thanks :D
Well, I do have it done in word properly formatted, but pastebin doesn't accept it. I'm thinking of uploading it to somewhere so that everyone can download it, but I'll worry about that later.

About the misstypes, well, forgive me for that. I did try to correct most of it myself but, in the middle of more than 27000 words, it can't be helped that I let a few slips. :(
Sabodew
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sabodew »

FateScarlet wrote:Sorry for the wait!

Here's the translated chapter 3. There are a few notes I added before the translation, so please read it for a better understanding. :wink:

No Game No Life Volume 6 - Chapter 3: [removed upon abandonment]

Also, due to a few troubles thanks to text type, and the lack of formatting in pastebin, the chapter 4 will be post-dated to tomorrow or the day after tomorrow (at most). :?

I'm open to comments and suggestions (since it's the first time doing something like this). Constructive critics are also welcomed.

All in all, have a good read! :D
Really appreciate it dude, you're awesome. If I had a batch of cookies(About 3) I'd give you like... 2 of em. This shit's great

Who's your favorite character so far?
SeYc
Astral Realm

Post by SeYc »

http://ln.m-chan.org/v3/series.php?SID=101

Anyone knows why is no longer for download?
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

SeYc wrote:http://ln.m-chan.org/v3/series.php?SID=101

Anyone knows why is no longer for download?
See #2 on this page.
FateScarlet
Kyonist

Post by FateScarlet »

Sabodew wrote:Really appreciate it dude, you're awesome. If I had a batch of cookies(About 3) I'd give you like... 2 of em. This shit's great

Who's your favorite character so far?
Hahaha, thank you.

Well, actually I'm finding it hard to choose between ShuVi (cute and cool) and Izuna (cute and kemonomimi)...

Actually, there's also one more reason for wanting to choose Izuna, but I'll keep quiet about it for now.

You will get to see it in the last chapter of Vol 6. :)

Return to “Abandoned”