My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I Expected

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading "My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected" ?

It was good! Please do more!
97%
It was interesting.
3%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 1669

edsamac
Reader
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I Expected

Post by edsamac »

Author: Wataru watari
Illustrations: Ponkan8
Japanese transliterated title: Yahari, ore no seishun rabukome wa machigatteiru
Synopsis (from animesuki):
The romantic comedy story revolves around an antisocial high school student named Hachiman Hikigaya with a distorted view on life and no friends or girlfriend. When he see his classmates talking excitedly about living their adolescent lives, he mutters, "They're a bunch of liars." When he is asked about his future dreams, he responds, "Not working." A teacher gets Hachiman to join the volunteer "service club," which happens to have the school's prettiest girl, Yukino Yukinoshita.
Hello guys, new member here. I hope I'm doing this right. D:

A little background, I guess. I've been translating in the scanlation community for quite some time (a little over 2 years, I believe), and felt that I needed some kind of level-up in terms of translation projects, so I took the plunge towards light novels. I'm actually clueless regarding this title, in particular, but after a cousin handed me a copy of the first volume and I flipped through it, I was kinda impressed. Lo and behold, it's actually one of the top rated LN for the year - and it's got an anime coming up in April 2013, to boot.

So yeah, I felt like I wanted to take this on. I asked a friend to advise me on how to go about this and he pointed me to baka-tsuki, so… here I am. :) Included here are the first few pages of the first chapter (I'm still working on it).

Teaser
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Re: My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected (w/ teas

Post by florza »

Oh yeah... there's no 'Love Come' in the title, +1 for that.

Well, you'll need someone to set up the teaser page for this I guess...

Oh and, good luck, LNs are pretty tedious to translate the first time.
edsamac
Reader

Post by edsamac »

florza wrote:Oh yeah... there's no 'Love Come' in the title, +1 for that.

Well, you'll need someone to set up the teaser page for this I guess...

Oh and, good luck, LNs are pretty tedious to translate the first time.
Thanks for the heads up. I actually enjoy the tediousness involved - very different from scanlating. But I have to admit that there are still some annoying snags in scanlating that are making LN translations a more inviting for me. :)

About the 'love come' thing - It came from the official english transliteration, but I would have gone for the same. Except for the "riajuu" term used in my translation, I try to avoid transliterating anything, as much as possible. You can say it's something I've learned from reading official translations of translated works, like those of Haruki Murakami.

Hope someone can help me out with the teaser page and whatnot. I'm still clueless with how things work around here. ^^,'
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

Oops, didn't realise that was the author's translation, it looked like google translate... Usually LNs don't have fully translated English titles, that caught me off-guard, I thought some guy typesetted it.

Well, I'd personally translate the title as 'Just as I suspected, the romantic comedy of my youth is a lie '. Or something like that.

Edit: For some reason, 'Love Come' looks horrible to me. Could simply use Romcom or something like that.
Studart
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Studart »

wow... I never thinked that I would see this here *-*
Good Luck bro XD
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

I'll create the teaser page and add the illustrations...just give me time to download the torrent.

I created the page here: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... I_expected

Do you want me to translate all the chapter titles? I can add the illustrations from volumes 1-5 now. Please create an account on the wiki itself so that you can make edits there.

A guideline on what to do once you're registered: (Use this for reference: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... iting_Tips)

1. First, go to the volume that you want to upload.

2. Do you see the edit button on the top right hand corner? Click it.

3. Look at the 'Internal link' section, that is how you're going to add hyperlinks. (You can look at the other volumes for reference)

4. If you did it right, the words should be in red, (you can edit the titles according to how you see fit, but try to keep it uniform) click on it.

5. Now, you should be in a new page. Click on the 'create' button at the top.

6. Upload the text that you have already translated. (Make sure to press 'enter' once after every paragraph so that it's easier to read.)

7. Next, the headings. At the wiki editing tips page, look at the 'headings' section (well, duh).

8. If you see the format used on all B-T texts, you'll probably get an idea of how to do it. (Just copy what they do.)

9. For pictures, it's under 'thumbnail image', the 'picture' would be from the illustrations of the volume that's available here. If I want a picture from say 'Volume 1 page 031', the format would be [[Image:Index_v01_031.jpg|thumb]]

10. For a footer, just go to any completed chapter here, copy the scripts for the footer, and make the necessary edits.

To add illustrations, go onto the wiki, go to the bottom left corner, and click on 'upload file'. Browse the file from your computer, change the destination filename appropriately (jpg for jpg file format, and so on). Then, just follow what is done on the volume 1 illustrations.
edsamac
Reader

Post by edsamac »

Teh_ping wrote:I'll create the teaser page and add the illustrations...just give me time to download the torrent.
Spoiler! :

Do you want me to translate all the chapter titles? I can add the illustrations from volumes 1-5 now. Please create an account on the wiki itself so that you can make edits there.

A guideline on what to do once you're registered: (Use this for reference: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... g_Tips)

3. Look at the 'Internal link' section, that is how you're going to add hyperlinks. (You can look at the other volumes for reference)

4. If you did it right, the words should be in red, (you can edit the titles according to how you see fit, but try to keep it uniform) click on it.

6. Upload the text that you have already translated. (Make sure to press 'enter' once after every paragraph so that it's easier to read.)

7. Next, the headings. At the wiki editing tips page, look at the 'headings' section (well, duh).

8. If you see the format used on all B-T texts, you'll probably get an idea of how to do it. (Just copy what they do.)

9. For pictures, it's under 'thumbnail image', the 'picture' would be from the illustrations of the volume that's available here. If I want a picture from say 'Volume 1 page 031', the format would be [[Image:Index_v01_031.jpg|thumb]]

10. For a footer, just go to any completed chapter here, copy the scripts for the footer, and make the necessary edits.

To add illustrations, go onto the wiki, go to the bottom left corner, and click on 'upload file'. Browse the file from your computer, change the destination filename appropriately (jpg for jpg file format, and so on). Then, just follow what is done on the volume 1 illustrations.
Sweet, thanks! :)

I just signed up and I'll be updating the 1st chapter translation when I get home in a bit. Thanks, again! :)

EDIT: Hope I'm getting this right. I just registered the chapters I'll be working on and added a prologue page. It wasn't that obvious because the prologue is actually one of the illustrations included.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

edsamac wrote:
Teh_ping wrote:I'll create the teaser page and add the illustrations...just give me time to download the torrent.
Spoiler! :

A guideline on what to do once you're registered: (Use this for reference: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... g_Tips)

Sweet, thanks! :)

I just signed up and I'll be updating the 1st chapter translation when I get home in a bit. Thanks, again! :)

EDIT: Hope I'm getting this right. I just registered the chapters I'll be working on and added a prologue page. It wasn't that obvious because the prologue is actually one of the illustrations included.
I added a lot of the pages just in case you wanted to translate them (I didn't add them since I didn't see it in your pdf). I'll leave the titles to you. The project's all yours. I will proceed to add the navs when I get back tomorrow.
edsamac
Reader

Post by edsamac »

Teh_ping wrote: I added a lot of the pages just in case you wanted to translate them (I didn't add them since I didn't see it in your pdf). I'll leave the titles to you. The project's all yours. I will proceed to add the navs when I get back tomorrow.
Thanks man. Really appreciate it. :)
lolimaru
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR

Post by lolimaru »

I don't have much experience but I really like this series but I'd like to be an editor if you'd allow me :) I've read the manga scanlations, and I have the PV downloaded on my phone lol, I still watch it every now and then XD I can't wait for the anime adaption!
edsamac
Reader

Post by edsamac »

lolimaru wrote:I don't have much experience but I really like this series but I'd like to be an editor if you'd allow me :) I've read the manga scanlations, and I have the PV downloaded on my phone lol, I still watch it every now and then XD I can't wait for the anime adaption!
I've been wondering about the manga, actually, because there are a couple minor TL errors, as well as one major one involving one of the character's names (i.e. Yukinosuke instead of Yukinoshita). Well, let's just say that there's quite a lot of content missing from the Manga, so I'm pretty sure there's a lot to look forward to in both the LN and the anime, next year. :)

I'm going to update the teaser, but it's only about 85% done. Hopefully, I can get it done in the next few days. I only get so much time to work on T/Ls these days, but I really want to work on this project. :)
lolimaru
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR

Post by lolimaru »

edsamac wrote:
I've been wondering about the manga, actually, because there are a couple minor TL errors, as well as one major one involving one of the character's names (i.e. Yukinosuke instead of Yukinoshita). Well, let's just say that there's quite a lot of content missing from the Manga, so I'm pretty sure there's a lot to look forward to in both the LN and the anime, next year. :)

I'm going to update the teaser, but it's only about 85% done. Hopefully, I can get it done in the next few days. I only get so much time to work on T/Ls these days, but I really want to work on this project. :)
Yeah the manga only has a few chapters translated and I've seen some mistakes too. May I become an editor? Or is there a process I must go through?
lolimaru
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR

Post by lolimaru »

How come the teaser page was deleted? '^'
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

It was just moved and the redirect was deleted - its now there: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... I_Expected
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
edsamac
Reader

Post by edsamac »

lolimaru wrote:
edsamac wrote: Yeah the manga only has a few chapters translated and I've seen some mistakes too. May I become an editor? Or is there a process I must go through?
The completed first chapter is up. Since it's a wiki, I believe you can go ahead and work as editor if you like. Just make sure you leave a log so I know what changes you made - that way, I can edit the PDF version accordingly.

So far, I've only included the basic text embellishments (bold, italic, etc.). I still have to put the references, and believe me there are quite a number of them as early as the first chapter. Everything from dragon ball, to gundam, to revolutionary girl utena, to friggin' medabods. O_o

Anyway, that was fun. I can move on to the second chapter, but I will be working much slower than compared to the rate at which this chapter came out. I'll be back in the hospital, so chances are I might churn out a chapter in two weeks to a month, or something like that.

Return to “Abandoned”