Log Horizon

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find Log Horizon?

It was good! Please do more!
98%
It was interesting.
2%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 843

Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Log Horizon (ログ・ホライズン):General

Post by Gohankuten »

cloud wrote: Nothing too valuable.
Nothing thought to be too valuable usually. There can be hidden treasure found at flea markets if you know what you are looking for and you have luck.
epsilon
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by epsilon »

Did you guys seriously translate and edit 4 and a bit volumes in just over a month or what it just that the final edit was done all within a month?

Because that is insane if you did, like I would say a year maybe 2 is pretty good going half year thats pretty fast freaking fast but a month, A MONTH, A SINGLE MONTH!

If that's right also considering the quality as well you guys are insane in the membrane, insane in the brain!

Even if that is just the final edit that's freaking fast just to put that in prospective of how fast that is like 50 people couldn't do it in a month.
memetichazard
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by memetichazard »

My impression was that the chapters attributed to skythewood were crowdsource translated on 4chan's /a/. Editing task is significant though (everything needed to be transformed from present to past tense, at the very least).
epsilon
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by epsilon »

memetichazard wrote:My impression was that the chapters attributed to skythewood were crowdsource translated on 4chan's /a/. Editing task is significant though (everything needed to be transformed from present to past tense, at the very least).
Yeah I know... well no I don't... but just from how long a chapter is usually in editing from other novels thats still freakishly fast editing. The guys who do this must put in a lot of time and it is much appropriated.
Sphaela
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sphaela »

So far skythewood translates by himself (except vol 5 ch3 and ch4 which are done by other people) . The editing is done here.
ddadain
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ddadain »

Volume 5 Chapter 4 has screeched to a halt since our translators have gone MIA :(

The chapter is about 40% complete but was translated with some jumping so only Part 1 is completely done.

If you can read Chinese and have some time to spare, we'd appreciate it (A LOT) if you could drop by and help us out.

[link removed upon licensing]
Rockmosis
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Rockmosis »

Hello,
I'm kinda editing through Log Horizon and I encountered this phrase,
At this moment, Minori was acting as the patrol file, formation, operator, and field monitor.
in Volume 3 Chapter 5.
Basically I don't know what patrol file and formation mean in this context. Can I get a TLC?
memetichazard
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by memetichazard »

Going by comparison of pre- and post-edited material, rather than being a TLC. Hope this helps.

Here's what skythewood had originally:
At this moment, Minori is acting as the sentry, battle formation, information control and battlefield surveillance.
sentry -> field monitor in this edited line:
Minori who was free from healing duties volunteered to act as a field monitor for the battlefield. The duty included acting as a reserve for healing or attacking as well as watching the surrounding zones for any enemy reinforcements.
battle formation -> formation in this line:
The first was to confirm the battle formation.

Tohya was a solid samurai vanguard, so they needed to focus the enemies' attacks on him, this was the most basic tactic, but this obvious move needed the cooperation of the whole party.

'How do you set it up so the party members other than Tohya can move?' If you never considered this before making your move, Tohya would not be able to draw the enemies' attention.
It doesn't say what her task as 'formation' actually means, but it could mean she's responsible for keeping the party in formation, e.g. calling out people if they get too excited and abandon formation.

information control -> operator?
The next was information control, that was the job of monitoring the HP of all party members. In the present Elder Tales, it was hard to confirm each other's status in the heat of the battle, even more so for melee fighters.
I don't think this one has a real-life equivalent term. If there's a gaming term for this, I'm not aware of that either.

battlefield surveillance -> ?

'battlefield surveillance' doesn't get an explanation. The edited term 'high alert patrol file' replaces 'high alert formation'. I think the usage of 'patrol file' in this case may be wrong, but I can't quite figure out what battlefield surveillance means specifically. On the other hand, the line in question is from part 2, and the explanations for the terms show up in part 3. It looks like Minori relinquishes the role of 'information control' at that point, since Serara becomes primary healer and is in charge of monitoring HP. Or at least she is no longer the only one with that role.

Going by the events of Part 2, however, she was also in charge of keeping an eye on the surroundings while they were engaged, to check for additional adds. So that may be what it's referring to.
ddadain
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ddadain »

Darklor wrote:Here in Germany Flea Market means usually that there is old and used stuff for sale - because of that I think also that flea market sounds strange - were it a Bazar everything could be for sale...
Hi Darklor, I actually brought this point up during the translation process but it seems that the Japanese really does say "flea market" and since its our policy to remain as true to the original as possible, we decided to adhere to how the author described it.

Besides, as others have said, "flea market" is viewed differently in other parts of the world. Take for example in Hong Kong where such "booth set ups" are prevalent in Mong Kok and Sham Shui Po, one can hardly describe it as a "bazaar" with its Middle Eastern connotations. It's more Asian, more chaotic, more FLEA MARKET-Y! (Lol)

Chapter 4 has more of the market thing-ish. Unfortunately, translation has slowed significantly. We're looking for TRANSLATORS who can pick up where we've stopped (chapter is 40% translated), so if you can read Chinese or can translate directly from the raws, we've got a great team of editors and a translation checker (moi!) that's eager to finish this baby up before Christmas :( Hopefully anyways...
ddadain
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ddadain »

Oh status report.

I'm glad to say a few translators popped up out of nowhere and started translating! :D

We are now at 60% completion of volume 5 chapter 4.

If our main translator suddenly "gets found", I'd reckon this thing'll get finished quickly. Yay~
Village Idiot
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Village Idiot »

ddadain wrote:Oh status report.

I'm glad to say a few translators popped up out of nowhere and started translating! :D

If our main translator suddenly "gets found", I'd reckon this thing'll get finished quickly. Yay~
Any chance that the translator for Vol 1 will pick up Vol 5 after they're done?
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Village Idiot wrote:
ddadain wrote:Oh status report.

Any chance that the translator for Vol 1 will pick up Vol 5 after they're done?
skythewood isn't active on BT AFAIK. You have to ask him on twitter or somewhere else.
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
swiftelf
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Too many.

Post by swiftelf »

We've got a full text of Volume 1 on the wiki, can someone make a .PDF of it sometime in the next day or so?
I call upon the wind, let it's raging fury destroy my foes!

Editor, daily columnist, book and video game reviewer at Game Industry News, founder of Windborne's Story Eatery at windbornesword.wordpress.com
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

ddadain wrote:
Besides, as others have said, "flea market" is viewed differently in other parts of the world. Take for example in Hong Kong where such "booth set ups" are prevalent in Mong Kok and Sham Shui Po, one can hardly describe it as a "bazaar" with its Middle Eastern connotations. It's more Asian, more chaotic, more FLEA MARKET-Y! (Lol)
Hm, and I always thought of a bazar as chaotic...
ddadain wrote: Chapter 4 has more of the market thing-ish. Unfortunately, translation has slowed significantly. We're looking for TRANSLATORS who can pick up where we've stopped (chapter is 40% translated), so if you can read Chinese or can translate directly from the raws, we've got a great team of editors and a translation checker (moi!) that's eager to finish this baby up before Christmas :( Hopefully anyways...
Ah, sorry I at least cant, since I can not understand Chinese or Japanese or any other Asian languages...

@memetichazard

I would assume that battlefield surveillance would generally mean to keep an eye one the battlefield in its whole and to warn, should for example additional enemy troops arrive or when an enemy is preparing a special move.
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
shido
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

Finishing up the epub and mobi files of volume 1 and will release them sometime tomorrow.

Return to “Abandoned”