Log Horizon

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find Log Horizon?

It was good! Please do more!
98%
It was interesting.
2%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 843

swiftelf
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Too many.

Re: Log Horizon (ログ・ホライズン):General

Post by swiftelf »

If you'll make a .PDF as well that'd be awesome, since I can only read those on my iPad.
I call upon the wind, let it's raging fury destroy my foes!

Editor, daily columnist, book and video game reviewer at Game Industry News, founder of Windborne's Story Eatery at windbornesword.wordpress.com
memetichazard
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by memetichazard »

So I decided to try to translate the side material a little bit. Here's the result. 1 part of 3 done for the first issue, done over a week.

[link removed upon licensing]

Since translation is done primarily through the use of JParser/MeCab, it's in serious need of some translation checking (or translation, in one or two cases). Blue text indicates where help is needed (probably ~20% of the lines), and the rest should get a good look over anyway. Translation may be a little bit liberal in some places. Part 1 ends at the ◆ symbol.

Part 1 was primarily exposition. I'm not sure how well this process will take to dialogue (IIRC, badly).

Meanwhile, I'll continue to work on the rest of it.
wslaxmiddy12
Astral Realm

Post by wslaxmiddy12 »

I would love to see this translated. I just stumbled upon the anime and read the LN as far as it was translated but I would of course love to see it finished. I wish I could help in my own way.
ddadain
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ddadain »

shido wrote:Finishing up the epub and mobi files of volume 1 and will release them sometime tomorrow.
Dunno if releasing it as a take-away file is a good idea right now. The volume needs some serious proofreaing, IMO.

Chapter 4's translation is ALMOST done... but problem is translation checking + editing the script is proving way more taxing than anticipated.

We're having trouble with some proper nouns and some complicated phrases that goes beyond our proficiency in Chinese ;_;

But we're working on it and hopefully will finish it soon... hopefully before Christmas... or a little after since we all have our little family/friends get-togethers :3
Sphaela
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sphaela »

memetichazard wrote:So I decided to try to translate the side material a little bit. Here's the result. 1 part of 3 done for the first issue, done over a week.
I skimmed over it an left a few notes. I hope others will step in and give you a hand.
Iluz
Astral Realm

Post by Iluz »

swiftelf wrote:If you'll make a .PDF as well that'd be awesome, since I can only read those on my iPad.
As far as I know (at least from my iPad 2), the iPad can easily read epubs as well, haven't tried mobis. In fact, I'm eagerly waiting for vol.1's epub so that I could put it on my iPad :)
shido
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

I'm going to release volume one as a rough draft version for people to who want to read it over the Christmas holiday season. That way hopefully people can come back if they do find some issues with the volume, and post some edits on the wiki. Maybe early of next year I can post a more up to date volume with the fixes.

Log Horizon - The Beginning of a Different World - Volume 1 - Mamare Touno - Rough Draft PDF:

Log Horizon - The Beginning of a Different World - Volume 1 - Mamare Touno - Rough Draft ePub:

Log Horizon - The Beginning of a Different World - Volume 1 - Mamare Touno - Rough Draft Mobi:
swiftelf
Project Editor

Post by swiftelf »

shido wrote:I'm going to release volume one as a rough draft version for people to who want to read it over the Christmas holiday season. That way hopefully people can come back if they do find some issues with the volume, and post some edits on the wiki. Maybe early of next year I can post a more up to date volume with the fixes.
I'll try to keep some notes on where i see mistakes so I can fix them later. Thanks for the rough draft .PDF

Editor, daily columnist, book and video game reviewer at Game Industry News, founder of Windborne's Story Eatery at windbornesword.wordpress.com
ddadain
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by ddadain »

swiftelf wrote:
shido wrote:I'm going to release volume one as a rough draft version for people to who want to read it over the Christmas holiday season. That way hopefully people can come back if they do find some issues with the volume, and post some edits on the wiki. Maybe early of next year I can post a more up to date volume with the fixes.
I'll try to keep some notes on where i see mistakes so I can fix them later. Thanks for the rough draft .PDF
If I wasn't bogged down with working on Chapter 4, I'd make shortwork of Volume 1... but good luck with that. It needs major work.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Is it "League of Freedom Cities Eastal" or "League of Freedom Towns Eastal" since the title appears to vary between chapters and volumes. The majority of the text seems to use "League of Freedom Towns Eastal" though.

I would recommend using cities rather than towns geographically speaking. Towns are small communities that usually do not have governmental powers, but cities are legally defined government entities and have influence as is the case in the novel. Of course this is generally speaking, but the 24 lords in the league do provide some protection to smaller communities in the novel.

Examples of towns: villages, small communities, neighborhoods.
memetichazard
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by memetichazard »

@Sphaela: Thanks for the help.

Regarding Town vs. City: The official anime canon seems to be completely confused as to what to use, because the map (used on the episode title shots) shows 'Cities' but their rings and the banners show 'Towns'. The largest of the Towns has a population of 30,000. Incidentally, according to http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa060997.htm Japan defines an urban population as having more than 30,000 people, and according to Wikipedia, a Japanese city must have a population of at least 50,000, so this could be why it's classified as 'Town' rather than 'City'.

The official definition of cities being legally defined government entities - does that apply to the League? That implies that there is a greater government above the League that grants them some degree of autonomy, but it looks to be the other way around, where each town self-governs and they assembled into the League for mutual protection against the other empires.

That said, I'd go with 'Cities' because it looks to me like they're essentially city-states that assembled into a league, like the Delian League.
swiftelf
Project Editor

Post by swiftelf »

One thing I've noticed in reading the first volume, and maybe it occurs in the later volumes, is that Shiroe is often said to have nasty eyes, which when compared to the Japanese dub of the anime seems to be a little off. So I've changed all instances of it in the first volume to be wicked eyes to better match the meaning. I'll be fixing more things in the upcoming weeks, that I've noticed, but otherwise it's pretty good so far.

Chi
Astral Realm

Post by Chi »

Aaah, I love this novel so much! *✲゚*。✧٩(・ิᴗ・ิ๑)۶*✲゚*。✧ Thank you so much for translating this novel! m(_ _)m
Hope this novel won't be dropped someday.. :;(∩´﹏`∩);: ... This is one of my favourite visual novel..
But anyway I'm very grateful for translation!
memetichazard
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by memetichazard »

Shiroe's eyes: I thought it was said to be beady eyes? To quote TV Tropes:
So how do you tell the audience the character is supposed to be average or unattractive while still making them easy on the eyes? Make their eyes beady. It's not that beady eyes are really all that ugly (just goofy looking), but in a world where beautiful doe eyes are the norm, it sort of makes sense that this character would be considered unattractive in comparison, even if they otherwise look like everyone else.
Since, apparently, dilated pupils are intrinsically more attractive, and smaller pupils the opposite.

I went and skimmed through a few episodes of the anime. All the girls have large eyes. Henrietta has average sized eyes. Shiroe... his eyes are kinda beady simply because the shape of the eye is so wide. Soujirou has doe eyes, of course. Naotsugu and Isaac have beady eyes, Krusty's eyes are more average. A bunch of the other guild masters (the old ones) have beady eyes. Mostly it's hard to tell since they vary a bit from scene to scene.

Also, the translation of episode 1 that I checked also chose to use 'beady eyes'.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

ddadain wrote:If I wasn't bogged down with working on Chapter 4, I'd make shortwork of Volume 1... but good luck with that. It needs major work.
I wouldn't say that =/

Return to “Abandoned”