Log Horizon

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find Log Horizon?

It was good! Please do more!
98%
It was interesting.
2%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 843

Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Log Horizon (ログ・ホライズン)

Post by Naeko »

Volume 3 Chapter 2 has begun translation at 4chan's /a/ forum in the thread at:
[link removed upon licensing]

If you wish, review the translation there and make recommendations in the 4chan thread before it gets transferred to Baka-Tsuki for more formal editing. There is now an entry for the translation project at Manga-Updates for Log Horizon. That site lists update announcements for various print media translations such as manga, doujinshi, and some light novels. A number of other Baka-Tsuki translation projects also get their latest chapter updates announced at that site.

Log Horizon at Manga-Updates:
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=105285
shido
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

Sphaela wrote: Direct reading of トウヤ is Touya, but I'll leave that up for editors to decide since I have a feeling you guys pronounce them all the same way anyways.
We are having inconsistencies with his name. The name on pastebin is from Volume 3 is now being put as Tohya, but with his name is written in Katakana really goes so it can't really be Tohya but Touya. Volume 2 has it Toya but if you're going to write it that way it would need the special character o with the small line above it.

So if no one wants to change this I'm willing to make these corrections. That is if no one has anything against the change.
Sphaela
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Sphaela »

shido wrote:We are having inconsistencies with his name. The name on pastebin is from Volume 3 is now being put as Tohya, but with his name is written in Katakana really goes so it can't really be Tohya but Touya. Volume 2 has it Toya but if you're going to write it that way it would need the special character o with the small line above it.

So if no one wants to change this I'm willing to make these corrections. That is if no one has anything against the change.
That is because he's going from Chinese->English. He has no katakana to read from, pretty much all the names are guesswork on his part.
guardianknight
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by guardianknight »

shido wrote:
We are having inconsistencies with his name. The name on pastebin is from Volume 3 is now being put as Tohya, but with his name is written in Katakana really goes so it can't really be Tohya but Touya. Volume 2 has it Toya but if you're going to write it that way it would need the special character o with the small line above it.

Go for it. You have a better understanding of it than I do.

I am still working on the tense changes. Luckily though someone else is also at work on it so we are making decent progress.
J-0N
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by J-0N »

guardianknight wrote:That isn't a bad idea. I did a head count of all the classes we currently know about and nothing called priest/priestess. Although there is cleric and that is somewhat similar, but I don't think it is so similar that we couldn't use priest/priestess. I have played some games where both a priest and a cleric class existed. I will keep thinking of other ideas but that is definitely a possibility.
I wanted to mention that there is a "War Priest" sub-class that one of the side characters has. Its only prominently featured in the gaiden side stories
Last edited by J-0N on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmoonies
Astral Realm

Post by jmoonies »

Is there any intent to translate Vol. 1? I know it's already covered in the anime, but I am curious about how those details are introduced in writing.
guardianknight
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by guardianknight »

J-0N wrote:
I wanted to mention that there is a "War Priest" sub-class that one of the side characters has. Its only prominently featured in the gaiden side stories
Thanks for the information. We haven't actually decided anything about kannagi-shaman-priest yet so glad we got the info before we made changes. For me that wouldn't make priest unusable. I would think of it as if I were a priest class with war priest subclass I would be a more battle oriented priest. However, I play tons of games and having a subclass like that makes sense to me. It may not for other people so we may want to try and find something else. If anyone else has input to share, we could use the help to get a consensus on this one.
jmoonies wrote:Is there any intent to translate Vol. 1? I know it's already covered in the anime, but I am curious about how those details are introduced in writing.
It is my understanding that someone was working on the first part of volume one. However, they are going at a slower pace than the others. I do not know how much of volume one they plan to do. This is a fairly new project with not a lot of in-house man power at the moment. I feel confident we will get to it, but I am not sure when or how fast it will get done.

On another note. Someone posted in the wiki page talk about using honorifics. They wanted us to add them. I am kind of like it the way it is, but I am not opposed if that is what all the other editors really want. I don't have the original text though and have no idea which one would go where, so I could not make these changes if we decided to do so. I am partially torn on this subject. On one hand some titles are used as honorifics such as sensei, and I prefer to use English words when we have them as long as they fit. On the other hand you can learn a lot by what honorific someone uses. Whether they use -san, -sama, or -dono can either tell you a bit out their character or about how they view the person they are speaking to. I tend to cast my vote towards a use of honorifics but not change absolutely everything and use all of them. The ones that are closer to titles (can't think of another way to describe it) like sensei or whatever word is used for chief Naynta (I love chief Naynta and don't want to change it) I would want to leave alone.

One thing sort of related to this that I was going to bring up is our current use of oniichan. When I was re-watching the anime recently I noticed that only Minori actually uses oniichan and Touya uses just niichan. I am assuming this is a matter of formality and since Minori is formal and polite she uses the full oniichan while casual Touya shortens it. Someone that can read Japanese, is that the case in the novel as well? If so I would like to change the parts we have to properly reflect the original text.
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Naeko »

guardianknight wrote:On another note. Someone posted in the wiki page talk about using honorifics. They wanted us to add them. I am kind of like it the way it is, but I am not opposed if that is what all the other editors really want.
This is that old old frequent argument by the few that are militant about adding -san, -sama, obasan, etc, when names are used. It's burdensome in translated works which is why it isn't often used unless the situation calls for emphasis such as the character is specially mocking someone else or it is being spelled out.
GetInDaZone222
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by GetInDaZone222 »

Wow this project exploded quickly :shock: . Hard to believe how much is getting done this quickly! Good job & thank you.
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Naeko »

Volume 3, Chapter 3 translation is now in progress by 4chan's /a/nonymous translator in the thread at:
[link removed upon licensing]
Gwynt
Astral Realm

Post by Gwynt »

I'm new here on the forums and was wondering how I can edit for Log Horizon? Just got into the series and am really enjoying it so far.
X-Rates
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by X-Rates »

Regarding トウヤ name, if it in romaji version it will become Touya but LiTTleDRAgo write that Tohya is the correct one and write "See Volume 3 character descriptions" in specific guidelines so I search for it and not found anything so if anyone can point me to the link it will be very helpful.
shido
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

X-Rates wrote:Regarding トウヤ name, if it in romaji version it will become Touya but LiTTleDRAgo write that Tohya is the correct one and write "See Volume 3 character descriptions" in specific guidelines so I search for it and not found anything so if anyone can point me to the link it will be very helpful.
It's not really him that's writing those. Most of volume 3 is being translated elsewhere and brought onto the wiki. I change it already to Touya up to a certain point so any new data that was placed after my edit may say Tohya. I didn't get around to it to change his name to the proper spelling.
EnigmaticAxiom
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

I was the one that wrote those. Look in Volume 3 in the character descriptions after the Table of Contents. It clearly has "Tohya" written there, so I would assume that's the official romanization. The same thing goes for Maryele's name. In Volume 6, in the character descriptions after the ToC, you can at least see "Maryel", and I think there's only one letter afterward, which I thought would be an E rather than an L. There could be more letters, but I can't see any "dark spaces" behind her hair/arms/whatever.
battlerwright
Astral Realm

Post by battlerwright »

Could this novel be put on the main project page under the light novels tab/be put on baka reader?

Return to “Abandoned”