Log Horizon

Novel Series that has ceased translation

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find Log Horizon?

It was good! Please do more!
98%
It was interesting.
2%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 843

EnigmaticAxiom
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Log Horizon (ログ・ホライズン):General

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

I'm pretty sure every location in the novel is based on a real world location, fantasy setting or not. I'm too lazy to look into it, though, sorry.
Wingzx
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Wingzx »

EnigmaticAxiom wrote:I'm pretty sure every location in the novel is based on a real world location, fantasy setting or not. I'm too lazy to look into it, though, sorry.
Ya it is. but the world ls like 2 times smaller then the real world to make it easier for players to get from place to place. so what would normally be 100 Miles away would be like 50 in log horizon
Winderfind
Reader
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Winderfind »

One more question. I saw that in the illustrations of the vol.6 is the romaji of the Maryel(e/l)'s name. My japanese is null, so i used GoogleTranslator to see how マリエール is translated and said Mariell, not Mariele. When i put Maryell in english to japaneses, is translated to マリエール. Also, one friend, who study japanese, said me that is Maryell, not maryele.

So, my question is, why maryele and not maryell?

Regards.
Active spanish translation proyects from T4DW:
· Shin Sekai Yori (leader).
· Log Horizon (leader).
· Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyoubi.
· Fate/Apocrypha.
· Baccano!
shido
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by shido »

Winderfind wrote:One more question. I saw that in the illustrations of the vol.6 is the romaji of the Maryel(e/l)'s name. My japanese is null, so i used GoogleTranslator to see how マリエール is translated and said Mariell, not Mariele. When i put Maryell in english to japaneses, is translated to マリエール. Also, one friend, who study japanese, said me that is Maryell, not maryele.

Regards.
Reason why we the editors and the translators who are working on this project have it as you see it now; is because what the author and publisher have put in her name in English on volume 6 pages 4-5 images. Since It's written in English we keep her name as such as this is the official way to have her name. Same goes for the name Tohya instead of Touya because that too is written to how the Author wanted it to be.
Winderfind
Reader

Post by Winderfind »

shido wrote:
Winderfind wrote:One more question. I saw that in the illustrations of the vol.6 is the romaji of the Maryel(e/l)'s name. My japanese is null, so i used GoogleTranslator to see how マリエール is translated and said Mariell, not Mariele. When i put Maryell in english to japaneses, is translated to マリエール. Also, one friend, who study japanese, said me that is Maryell, not maryele.

Regards.
Reason why we the editors and the translators who are working on this project have it as you see it now; is because what the author and publisher have put in her name in English on volume 6 pages 4-5 images. Since It's written in English we keep her name as such as this is the official way to have her name. Same goes for the name Tohya instead of Touya because that too is written to how the Author wanted it to be.
I can't see a complet L or E in the image, that's why i asked.
· Log Horizon (leader).
· Fate/Apocrypha.
· Baccano!
Winderfind
Reader

Post by Winderfind »

Idk if someone saw it, but here is the vol.7 cover with high resolution.
· Log Horizon (leader).
· Fate/Apocrypha.
· Baccano!
Winderfind
Reader

Post by Winderfind »

Hi there, the part 4, chapter 2, vol. 3, starts with:
Raynesia's mood was akin to low altitude flying.
It's something like a proberb? I tried to translate (not literaly) that but i don't understand.
her feelings were still moving like low altitude flying
I never experienced anithing like that Dx

Regards
· Log Horizon (leader).
· Fate/Apocrypha.
· Baccano!
Winderfind
Reader

Post by Winderfind »

Nvm.
"Low-Altitude Flight When my severe mood swing pushes me down to the edge, I call that mental state a "low-altitude flight," where I never look up at the sky or see any bright side of life but always look down and crawl at the bottom of my world. But there is a whole different beautiful world down there that nobody bothers to pay attention to. I find tiny particles of beauty and collect them to fuel my soul so that I can climb up and believe that the world is worth exploring more."
cya.
· Log Horizon (leader).
· Fate/Apocrypha.
· Baccano!
Zlaz
Astral Realm

Post by Zlaz »

Hi, just a random leecher on Baka-Tsuki, i was wondering why i couldn't find Log Horizon anywhere in the Bakareader EX app from my phone. Is there something wrong? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me???

Btw sorry for just leeching off you guys like that, but i really can't help you guys since my english isn't really that good and I'm currently in the middle of my studies. I love the work you guys do btw, since i can't read japanese and i cant find any english translated light novels anywhere near me.
Deadgye
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Deadgye »

Now that BakaReader Ex has been fixed I've started actually progressing through reading the LN. So far there's been one or two translation choices that have me mentally replacing words so I thought I'd bring them up. I've been keeping up with the anime, but I've only read part way through volume one. Although I've ctrl+f'd ahead to see if the things that bugged me were a one off or were consistent.

The first choice that's been bugging me is the use of the word "security". The way it's being used in most places feels off; like it's not the wrong word, but it's not the right word either. Whatever word should be used instead should still definitely carry the meaning of something that allows for people to feel secure. I cross referenced the anime for the places it appears and I'm pretty sure they're saying 治安(ちあん). It looks like crunchyroll has translated this to "security" in some places as well, but also translated it vaguely as "things" or as "to protect" depending on the context. Rather then using "security" I think using "order", "public order", "civil order", and/or "social order" would be better to use. I'm not sure if a random nobody like me should be editing the wiki pages so I'll just I'll highlight the places this occurs and also include how I'd reword it here. Small text is original, underlined is replaced.
Spoiler! :
Volume 1, Chapter 3, Part 4
  • "So the rumors that security public order has gone bad are true."
  • Because they know of the news about the deteriorating security order in the city.
Vol 1, Ch 3, Pt 5
  • (Security Order really is going bad getting worse...)
Vol 1, Ch 3, Pt 6
  • "Eh... yeah, the security public order in Susukino seems to be worse than here. Ah, forget it, it's not 'seems like' or 'appears to be'. The security order in Susukino is definitely bad... Serara is being harassed by nasty guys."
Vol 1, Ch 4, Pt 2
  • Security didn't really turn bad Public order didn't really become worse.
    Saying security is turning bad order became worse seems to imply security that order was good before, which is not true. If you treat this as an alternative world independent from Elder Tales, then security order did not exist in this world in the first place.
    The non-combat zones are the only places that are close to being safe. This seems to be a shallow sign to prove that Elder Tale's settings still exist.
    But this restriction is not the same as laws.
    There is no security order in the first place, so it couldn't have deteriorated.
Vol 1, Ch 4, Pt 5
  • After coming to this world, even if everyone around them falls into a panic, or players disrupt the security order due to lack of goals, Shiroe still maintains a certain degree of calm.
Vol 1, Ch 5, Pt 1
  • Susukino's security public order continued to deteriorate. With the small population, they could not maintain order spontaneously and it was becoming a dog eat dog world.
Vol 2, Ch 2, Pt 2
  • "Yes, PK has decreased, security public order... I feel it is not bad. No, I don't mean compared to other places. I think that it is better than the worst case scenario, so it is not too bad."
  • Shiroe was not drunk, but he still felt his mind become clearer. This was a more annoying situation than the deterioration of security public order. This situation was indeed not the worst case, since there was less conflict and PK.
Vol 2, Ch 3, Pt 4
  • But if it were this type of activity, there was no need to know the information in detail. If it worked, the situation would be transparent, and it had to be this way. Shiroe judged that security public order could not be maintained with a black box system, and there was no harm in making the information public. And the information would lose its value after the campaign succeeded.
Vol 2, Ch 4, Pt 2
  • "Even though there are now 11 of us left, let me continue. As Silver Sword's guildmaster mentioned, the reason for inviting all of you was to form an organization known as the 'Round Table Alliance' to discuss the operation of Akiba as a city. There are two major goals. The first is improving the atmosphere of Akiba, to guide the citizens to revive their vigor. The next is the improvement in security safety. I hope the organization can operate with these two goals in mind, and slowly become the tool that can solve the problems in the function of the city."
  • "Assuming we create the organization, how are we going to maintain security order? No, firstly what do you mean by the 'deteriorating security' 'deteriorating order'?"
Vol 2, Ch 5, Pt 3
  • "As I explained, I am proposing 2 basic policies... Improve the vigor of the city and increase security public order. As for the detailed plan, I will first express my view about improving vitality. I have already discussed this with a few related personnel... Mary-nee."
  • "Next is the issue of security public order, there should be people who thinks laws will be restrictive, but I think this is something we have to live with. This is a Middle Ages styled alternate world, even if we don't restrict certain actions by law, I think reason and culture will allow this world to operate smoothly anyway. If there are cases of hogging grinding spots or territorial disputes, if we agree to compromise, it won't come to one party rejecting another unreasonably.
Vol 2, Ch 5, Pt 4
  • Revitalizing the city, setting up legal systems to maintain security order, improving relations with the People of the Land, collection of tax to maintain the operation of the administration. A speech was given the following day to express the reasons for the policies.
Vol 3, Ch 5, Pt 6
  • If you thought of it this way, the difficulty of battling had increased, since there was no permanent death, the minimum security safety of all the players was ensured. But Adventurers who regularly partook in fights needed to understand that and hone their skills.
I haven't bothered checking past volume 3 yet. Do people agree with me on these changes and should I go ahead and edit them in?

In the time it took me to type that up I forgot what other things were irritating me. >.<; One of the drawbacks to reading in bed before sleeping is that you can't easily note down where stuff was for later reference.
Azurue
Astral Realm

Post by Azurue »

Hey guys, are we the ones who have to edit Volume 5 chapter 4 or we're just waiting for someone to upload it?
trollingthrough
Astral Realm

Post by trollingthrough »

Deadgye there's a whole bunch of official editors on this project.
I think you might get beaten with a wet noodle if you just got edit stuff.
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Naeko »

Since the author Mamare Touno has shown up on 4chan twice already to take and answer questions, there was a comment that he'd be back for episode 25. With that possible future visit in mind, people were trying to accumulate possible questions to ask him. By compiling the questions ahead of time, the questions can be edited into more intellible form or even improved. If you are used to editing pastebins, the set of questions 4channers are accumulating is at:

*UPDATED*
current archive: [link removed upon licensing]
previous archive: [link removed upon licensing]
Last edited by Naeko on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
kael123
Astral Realm

Post by kael123 »

Since this is supposed to be a feedback thread for Log Horizon, I'm going to do just that and give feedback:
Thank you everyone for your great work with the translation of the light novels, and keep up the good work.
rkl
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by rkl »

Since there wasn't any topic for sharing PDF or ePub of this novel I thought I'd share mine here.

Code: Select all

[link removed upon licensing]  --> Log Horizon Vol 5 - Sunday in the District of Akiba.epub
[link removed upon licensing]  --> Log Horizon Vol 5 - Sunday in the District of Akiba.pdf
this is my first time creating ePub using Pages on Mac , so every advice and response on the quality and how to make it better is highly appreciated :)

Return to “Abandoned”